Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Market on the Parade

Options
  • 30-11-2010 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

Has anyone heard any update on whether there will be a Christmas Market this year on the Parade. After the Savour Kilkenny Food Festival, there were positive noises that a Christmas market might happen. Haven't heard much about this in the last few weeks, which would suggest it isn't happening.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭t63m

I doubt if the rate paying retailers would be too keen on the idea. I would imagine the council wont want to upset the little thats keeping the council afloat financially at the moment particularly given the level of rate arrears.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

Personally i think it would be a bit short sighted by the retailers not to welcome a Christmas Market on the Parade. By all accounts the footfall greatly increased in the town centre, during the days of the food festival.

Then again, these are the same retailers who think that bringing back the 2 way traffic system would solve their woes. I'm not surprised if they are therefore against a Christmas Market.

In some quarters the food festival left a very bad taste if you excuse the expression. Valid concerns were raised at the time as to whether it was a festival or a commercial venture. Personally I think any festival that brings a bit of life to the place is a great idea but a major PR mistake was made by charging an entry fee as this established a format which many people are uncomfortable with. It also draws attention to the fact that many of these touring "Christmas Markets" and "French Markets" are in essence owned by a single individual or company and the stallholders nothing but employees of a single business entity and have nothing in common with a genuine "all business comers" welcome type of market. I feel a similar issue on a different level will develop at McDonagh Junction regarding the cheap tenacies of the Goods Shed compared to the full whack rents being paid by the shopping centre tenants who now have to compete in some instances with selling the same goods and products. We seem to do it arseways always.
    TBH at this stage without even considering the recession Kilkenny has so missed the boat on a shopping friendly environment compared to other regional towns that make it easy and cheap to get in and out of that a nude show on the hour on the Parade ain't going to make a change to the economic life of Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

that savour kilkenny thing got great praise. It certainly bought a crowd in and I had visitors who came a long distance especially for it...but we paid a fiver and there was nothing for this....i got a burger for 4 euro....it was lovely but i was starving after it..so 9 euro, 1 burger and i had to go then and get something to eat! It should have been free or else, you should have got something for the fiver. I wouldn't go to it if it was on again. I felt a bit conned after it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭nhg

We did'nt go to it because there was a charge to get in, every other year we went and it was nice to go to but we were'nt going to pay to get in, instead this year the gang of us (8) went into town on the sunday for lunch and had a few drinks, other years we strolled through the stall area and had a few drinks afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 BrendanKK

Hi all, yes there will be a Christmas market on the parade and it kicks off this Saturday. I'm helping to organise it so any feedback gratefully received.

We have set up a website and events will be updated on it as we go along so keep checking:
    http://www.kilkennychristmasmarket.com

You can also follow us on Facebook & Twitter for up to the minute news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Ok BrendenKK, here's some immediate feedback. don't do what the clowns who planned the last Savour thing did, blocking off the parade for pedestrian access with harris fencing. People walk to town that way everyday and I was really annoyed by the way that families with buggies couldn't pass each other on the Taxi rank side. I need to say this as you haven't mentioned if there is an admission fee, a point raised several times on this thread already. (I too didn't attend due to being taxed before you've even bought anything.)

Sorry, should have clarified this earlier....

It will be FREE to enter the markets and NO the area will not be closed off for pedestrian access.

However, due to the weather conditions we haven't been able to get on to the Parade to get set up so we have had to postpone until next Thursday 9 December.

See here for more details: http://kilkennychristmasmarket.com/market-postponed-to-thursday-9-december/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Thanks Brendan for the quick reply. That's great about the access and no charges. Sorry to hear the weather is complicating things, we're all learning to allow more time for everything with the snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

FAIR play (see what I did there, eh eh?) to putting on this fair.

Would it be too much to ask to have some liquor served also? I was in Belfast last year at this time and they have a lovely Christmas market too, but there's a log cabin serving beers of all kinds... strawberry beers and what have you, also mulled wine and mince pies.

You can go in for a hot one to warm up after all the outside activity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kkmick

t63m wrote: »
    I feel a similar issue on a different level will develop at McDonagh Junction regarding the cheap tenacies of the Goods Shed compared to the full whack rents being paid by the shopping centre tenants who now have to compete in some instances with selling the same goods and products..
    In fairness to the junction they have spent over two hundred thousand on the goodshed to provide a chance for people to set up a shop when they wouldn't be able to afford otherwise! Charging a hundred euros a month for rent, electricity, heating and insurance they wont be making their money back anyway. I don't think any shop in the shopping centre will be put under pressure from the goodshed in fairness!!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

well done Brendankk.
    delighted to see a christmas market coming to kilkenny.
    about bloody time I say!!
    i wish you all the success in the world in your venture:)

kkmick wrote: »
    two hundred thousand on the goodshed to provide a chance for people to set up a shop when they wouldn't be able to afford otherwise! Charging a hundred euros a month for rent, electricity, heating and insurance they wont be making their money back anyway. I don't think any shop in the shopping centre will be put under pressure from the goodshed in fairness!!
    Two hundred thousand? Sorry but I'd like to see them substantiate that sum. As to other shops being under pressure there , well..... There have been some major issues which can't be discussed on a public forum. And whose pocket exactly is the €200000 coming from? Again can't be discussed on a public forum but a study of the parent companies accounts makes interesting reading.
    I do agree the concept of boutique style shops is very good and encourages diversity BUT €200000 would go along way towards establishing these tenants in a center of town location in the many empty units available where footfall is way higher and they would have a greater chance of long term success, Any change from the daily dereliction visible in the city center would be welcome especially from fresh faces where they have a fighting chance.

Thanks for all the good wishes.

We are starting modestly this year, we know we won't get everything right but we'll be doing our absolute best. Unfortunately, selling liquor is a bridge too far for this year....but it is on the list for the future.

Best wishes for a great market!. These things ain't easy! People don't realise the amount of work involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

BrendanKK wrote: »
    Unfortunately, selling liquor is a bridge too far for this year....but it is on the list for the future.

Not even mulled wine? Sure, that's not even a real drink :D

Best of luck with it Brendan, fair due to ye. I'm looking forward to it.

First Kilkenny Christmas Market opened for business today @ 11am

http://bit.ly/i22FLn

Wrap up warm and come and join us!

Advertisement