Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irish nationwide fixed rate bond

Options
  • 30-11-2010 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,
    I have some money in an Irish Nationwide Fixed Rate bond that I put in in September. Just hearing things on the news about bondholders taking a hit... would this is apply to my bond? If so, what kind of losses?
    Should i try to get my money out?

appreciate your advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Don't worry - your type of bond is not the bonds that are being mentioned in the media. The "bondholders" they are talking about are massive investemnt banks / companies that lend money to banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Kennie1

As per above post you have nothing to worry about, even your money was invested in a Government bond this would not be hit with a haircut as Angela Merkel's comments pertained to Government bonds issued from 2013 onwards so in reality the bonds that will be issued before 2013 will be more secure than the ones after this date. What she proposed was that these bond holders would take a 20% haircut if a country was bailed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Ogham wrote: »
    The "bondholders" they are talking about are massive investemnt banks / companies that lend money to banks.

Pension funds actually have a huge chunk of these bonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

Sean_K wrote: »
    Pension funds actually have a huge chunk of these bonds.

The OP is not investing in a pension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

The OP is not investing in a pension.

My post was in relation to the bondholders Ogham was talking about, not about the OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 swirley

Thanks for the replies, can stop worrying now I guess :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

i hope you are right,i have3 had a fixed rate there for around 20 years,there was talk we would have got 10/15,000 windfall each had INW demutualised but it never happened,i think we can thank Fingers for that he still has the 1,000,000 he said he would pay back,it may be for years but it may be forever

Advertisement