Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wheelworx online shop?

• 30-11-2010 1:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭

whats up with wheelworx online store? they have very little on it or in some parts nothing at all and and its been like that for ages now. Are they still in business or just not pushed with the online thing anymore?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yeah it's pretty poor, they stock Bianchis in store and yet there is no mention of them on the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

They moved store (again) in the last couple of weeks. Their online shop has never been great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

penexpers wrote: »
    They moved store (again) in the last couple of weeks. Their online shop has never been great.

again? really? where to?

The building right next door where the tile place used to be. They have even more floor space now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

They seem to be really focused on b'n'm shopping, targetted primarily at people spending 1k+ on a bike and it seems to be working for them. The rate at which they've grown the business over the last 3 years is really impressive.

They just moved into the unit that was next door to them and now have a second floor for clothes and stuff. The new shop is less cramped and shows of the bling a bit better than the old one. Some really lovely bikes there right now.

I can understand why they seem to have chosen to focus on people who want to buy in person - crc and wiggle are such monsters it would be hard to take them on - but many the brands they stock (trek, bainchi and corratec for instance) aren't carried by either of those so they could certainly do better online. My guess is, they'll get around to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Trek won't let anyone sell them online for some reason, I think Cannondale are the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Trek won't let anyone sell them online for some reason, I think Cannondale are the same.

I got a connondale online from the UK a couple of years ago - they might have changed their policies since though. Specialized allow their stuff to be sold online but won't allow an online retailer to ship to a customer outside their own distribution area i.e. several UK spesh dealers won't ship to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 new2biking

They need to work on their customer service if you ask me, spent over €2.5k in there recently and when I asked for a spare tube was asked for another €8.99. Very bad form IMO.

Wont spend another penny in there.

new2biking wrote: »
    They need to work on their customer service if you ask me, spent over €2.5k in there recently and when I asked for a spare tube was asked for another €8.99. Very bad form IMO.

Love the sense of entitlement there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Love the sense of entitlement there.

yeah and no. If I'd spent that much in any store I'd hope to be recognised and my custom acknowledged. To be fair to them, they've plenty of staff and each one of them couldn't be expected to be know what everyone has ever spent in there.

Their online store is poor. That's not their focus, and I think they should remove the online store if they're not keeping it up to date. It reflects poorly on them otherwise. I've rung a number of times about items listed on the site and the price is wrong or the stock is no longer carried.

More generally I hope it goes well for them, they seem to put a fair bit of energy back into the sports. I do wonder about bikes stores generally and how they'll get on if the bike to work is removed especially those who have geared up with fixed costs based on the inflated turnover.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭teufelswerk

I find it completely overpriced, don't think they could compete as an on-line store against crc prices. I'd only go there if I couldn't wait for the delivery time from crc or wiggle.
    On a side to this has anyone been served by the guy wearing running shorts there. He looks completely disinterested in being there and the shorta make it look like he's just about to leave. If he's reading this he may wish to know how it's perceived. Need to express interest in customers if you are trying to keep them.

uberwolf wrote: »
    yeah and no. If I'd spent that much in any store I'd hope to be recognised and my custom acknowledged. To be fair to them, they've plenty of staff and each one of them couldn't be expected to be know what everyone has ever spent in there.

Their online store is poor. That's not their focus, and I think they should remove the online store if they're not keeping it up to date. It reflects poorly on them otherwise. I've rung a number of times about items listed on the site and the price is wrong or the stock is no longer carried.

More generally I hope it goes well for them, they seem to put a fair bit of energy back into the sports. I do wonder about bikes stores generally and how they'll get on if the bike to work is removed especially those who have geared up with fixed costs based on the inflated turnover.

Actually it was one of the owners who charged me while I was paying the 2 and a half g's. And for the record as far as I'm concerned that is very poor customer service as they've lost a good customer as a result. Eurocycles will be benefitting from my cash in future

Actually it was one of the owners who charged me while I was paying the 2 and a half g's. And for the record as far as I'm concerned that is very poor customer service as they've lost a good customer as a result. Eurocycles will be benefitting from my cash in future

As far as I'm concerned, anything extra off stuff when buying a bike is a bonus and shouldn't be a reason to not shop in a shop in future. (e.g. I bought a light for full price after only spending 1,100 on a bike in Cycleways but I'm not going to begrudge them for that) Wheelworx has been fairly decent to me in the past - they did some small repairs for free once upon a time and their prices are decent for a bricks and mortar shop.

Eurocycles can be a bit hit and miss. My local one tends to have only one person working in the bike shop at a time, so if he's caught up doing repairs, you can be waiting a long time to be served (was once left standing for ~30 minutes while the bike shop employee was doing a service on a bike).

As far as I'm concerned, anything extra off stuff when buying a bike is a bonus and shouldn't be a reason to not shop in a shop in future. (e.g. I bought a light for full price after only spending 1,100 on a bike in Cycleways but I'm not going to begrudge them for that) Wheelworx has been fairly decent to me in the past - they did some small repairs for free once upon a time and their prices are decent for a bricks and mortar shop.

You're probably right and in fairness they gave very good advice however it just left a bad taste in the mouth to hand over another €9 for something as small as a tube after spending so much.

Getting back to the OP I agree that the website is pretty bad and should probably just be scaled down with contact details/location and some decent images as they will never be able to compete with Wiggle/CRC. Anyway best of luck to them with the new expansion, good to see businesses doing well in this climate (my €8.99 contributed in some way;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭billy.fish

Oh for the love of kittens and all things fluffy. I think you need to just read what you said. It sounds insane. I bought a car once, but i dont go back and ask for free petrol when it wares out...

To the OP: Walk into the shop then you get to see the stock.

billy.fish wrote: »
    Oh for the love of kittens and all things fluffy. I think you need to just read what you said. It sounds insane. I bought a car once, but i dont go back and ask for free petrol when it wares out...

To the OP: Walk into the shop then you get to see the stock.

More fool you so cos I always get a full tank of petrol thrown in when I buy a new car (and mats!). For the record, I recently bought a decent MTB in Eurocycles and got a camelback Mule thrown in for free.

I guess its just down to a consumer's attitude to their hard earned cash in these recessionary times and I personally believe that list prices shouldn't apply to regular/good customers and indeed thats what I practice with my own customers (who always come back to me).

Anyway we are drifting off topic here so thats my tuppence worth.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭griffin100

Customer service is a bit hit miss in wheelworx, it seems to depend on the mood of the staff member that you get. Some days they seem to be fine, other days they treat you like sh1t for having the cheek to want to ask questions. From what I can see though that seems fairly standard in most bike shops. If the BTW scheme ends and bike shops actually have to start trying to sell bikes then there are going to be some bike shops in trouble me thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

All haggling and asking for free extras should be done before agreeing on deal and handing over cash.

It's like wheeler-dealers 101!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Customer service anywhere is hit and miss on any particular day.

I have always found Wheelworx to be customer focused.
    When I bought my bike, they threw in a saddle bag, tyre levers, cage and bottle for free. As somebody said previously, you need to ask or agree before handing over the money.

Best of look to Wheelworx.

If you want consistent poor customer service, there is another b 'n' m shop in West Dublin that you should visit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 flyingrothar

+1 on them being a bit tight arsed when you buy a bike, they have a great selection but the after sales and the throwing stuff in is zero so I will not be buying anything off them again!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

niceonetom wrote: »
    They seem to be really focused on b'n'm shopping.....
    .... there is another b 'n' m shop in West Dublin that you should visit

b 'n' m?? Bikes & ?? Maybe my brain is frozen, but can't for the life of me think what this stands for. Google no help either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

b 'n' m?? Bikes & ?? Maybe my brain is frozen, but can't for the life of me think what this stands for. Google no help either.

Bricks and mortar - accepting that they cannot compete on price with internet retailers and are offering a shopping experience and high quality service..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I did hear of one chap who bought an expensive road bike from Wheelworx. His commuter bike was stolen the week before, so they gave him another bike in replacement, no charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Lot of bikes shops in Ireland have very poor websites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

The website is a bit ropey at times but I think it has gotten better in the last few months. I actually find that reductions in price on items arelisted on the website but not in-store. So I actually check the website before hading to the shop :)

Regarding customer service I have always found the staff very helpfull and i've taken up more than enough of their time asking questions and hemming and hawing on every purchase. Rob & Aishling do some serious training and are always helpfull with advice etc, and thats on top of running the shop.

They have also introduced a new 10% customer loylaty card but even before this I have picked up kit that was at least the same and in some cases cheaper than some on-line shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ba3

hi sorry, how do you avail of this loyalty card, i'm loking to buy a bike there s this could be handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Some staff are very good (James).

16yro who "repairs/fixes bikes" tried to charge me 2euro for a valve when i was buying my bike and put my computer sensor on back wards.:mad:

French?? girl on till is cool.

They other guy i picked my bike up from could not be arsed at all, i was seconds away from telling him to go FOOK himself the utter knob.

So in my experience, "IF" and thats a BIG IF I'm going back to that shop I'm going back to the person i got the best service from.

Also there was no mention of guarantee/service or such like.

Grab the money and run comes to mind.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭dsaint1

If the OP handed over 2.5k of his hard earned cash then he must have been very happy with the deal he was getting up to that point. Right? Now when the total amounts to €2508.99 he feels hard done by?

I'm guessing the store had done the max they could do for you up to that point, regards discount, otherwise you wouldn't have agreed to the sale. If you then try to milk it and ask for more freebies after the deal has been done you are pushing your luck and being very unreasonable if you ask me!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ah_go_on

I've found their customer service to be hit and miss tbh. James is a very nice fella but the owner is a bit Jekyll and Hyde. Recently overheard him telling a customer not to ring him regarding delivery on an order for a bike he'd just placed as he doesn't take calls. IMO if you take my cash u will also take my calls!! Poxy attitude to have.

Very good Mechanic works there though.

Cycle Inn and Cycle Superstore are much friendlier and have a better range of MTB stuff so thats where my hard earned Guilders go.

And for the record if I spent 2 and a half G's on a bike I'd be pissed off if I didn't get a tube thrown in for free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Pink16

Ah_go_on wrote: »
    I've found their customer service to be hit and miss tbh. James is a very nice fella but the owner is a bit Jekyll and Hyde. Recently overheard him telling a customer not to ring him regarding delivery on an order for a bike he'd just placed as he doesn't take calls. IMO if you take my cash u will also take my calls!! Poxy attitude to have.

Very good Mechanic works there though.

Cycle Inn and Cycle Superstore are much friendlier and have a better range of MTB stuff so thats where my hard earned Guilders go.

And for the record if I spent 2 and a half G's on a bike I'd be pissed off if I didn't get a tube thrown in for free

Totally agree with this. James is grand to deal with. The other guy how ever is NOT! He let me leave the store after spending over 1k on bike etc with two buckled wheels, a kids helmet and mud guards that did not fit my bike!

Wouldn't go back there if you paid me!!!

Advertisement