Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues facing the Irish in Australia

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cormaclynch

You disagree that most Irish people here work primarily in the company of a heavily Irish workforce?
    Really?:confused:

Sure do! Not everyone comes here to work with Irish people in construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Zambia232 wrote: »
    In my office there are 770 + people and so far I have not met another Irish Person.

Maybe Im just not looking

Nah Zambia, there are plenty working there, they are just hiding from you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sure do! Not everyone comes here to work with Irish people in construction.
    You kinda prove his point, he never said everyone, he said most, ie those in construction
    obvious some don't (i'm the only irish in my ofice) but due to the amount of irish construction companies, and crews, the irish get looked after rather quickly and lumped together

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cormaclynch

Mellor wrote: »
    You kinda prove his point, he never said everyone, he said most, ie those in construction
    obvious some don't (i'm the only irish in my ofice) but due to the amount of irish construction companies, and crews, the irish get looked after rather quickly and lumped together

He said "You disagree that most Irish people here work primarily in the company of a heavily Irish workforce?"

He didnt say ie those in construction, so what I said doesnt prove his point. His point is still wrong in my opinion that most Irish people work primarily in the company of an Irish workforce.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Meh, its a pointless discussion,
    most irish people i know, construction and otherwise, work with at least some other irish, which is what I was saying,
    but Iknow what you mean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

Most Irish would work with relatively few Aussies anyway, so its hard to meet them.

Please explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

man1 wrote: »
    Please explain?

Can I be the first to welcome Pauline Hanson to the Australia New Zealand Forum:D:D:D

lifted from EncyclopediaDramatica

Pauline Hanson is the Australian version of Mike Huckabee with a little twist of Paris Hilton's desire for moar attention. With her blatant racism and tiny IQ she soon became the butt of every joke made in the country, while almost taking it over. She was eventually jailed for no reason, later being released with much butthurt and whining from her supporters claiming OMG DISCRIMINATION! not realising the great poetic justice of her situation.
    She is well known for spawning the **** meme Please Explain, a phrase she used on 60 minutes when asked if she was at all Xenophobic. Big words is hard!

Edit- above quote is to be a joke and no Pauline Hansons were harmed in the making of above joke, we tried but could not manage to hurt her that much, cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

kdevitt wrote: »
    I was 'reliably' informed that the forms needed to be witnessed by someone in Ireland before being processed?

NA kdevitt that person informed you wrong . I'm in the middle of reapplying for Irish Passport for our little girl.

You would have to use "Applicants outside the State should use application form APS2E/G." found on http://www.dfa.ie/

All the Witnesses need to be one of the people below and you need to sign the application in their presence.

witness%20passport1.jpg

witness%20passport.jpg

They couldn't expcet people outside the country to travel to Ireland just to get the application witnessed that'd be madnesss .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Mellor wrote: »

Not even just that. Amongst lads in the last year Ive only met about 3 non construction lads (well, bar chefs, of whom theres quite a few). But even among girls, a large proportion work in offices where the employers have few, if any, female Aussie employees. Alot of employers here are sick of their own- they constanbtly pull sickies, they jump from job to job etc etc, all because they know they can get another quite well paid job with no more than their HSC in under a week, or just go on the dole if they feel like it (Aussie employers put alot less emphasis on 3rd level education than back home for general positions). Irish girls might like a drink but due to their position on the ladder here are less likely to fcuk the boss aorund.

Used to be alot different mind. When I first arrived there were loads of lads working offices, bars, factories etc etc. Suppose its just the instant ease at which you can get labouring mixed with the fact construction is the worst hit sector back home. Even saying that though, alot of the lads who have been here a while worked non cons jobs back home but work construction now, whereas now I cant recall the last time I met a new arrival who wasnt a laid off construction worker back home.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Never heard any complaints yet, I was supposed to go to the pub this afternoon after work but had to decline.... .

You have never heard an Aussie complain that booze is expensive. Jesus effin Christ, give it up :pac: Really, if I claimed that NRL and AFL are popular sports you would claim baseball is the most popular sport in Australia just to argue it.
    ambasite wrote: »
    i think the price of beer here is more expensive than at home, 500ml (pint) $10 about 7.50EUR in Chatswood, north Sydney - feel free to point me in the direction of cheaper establishments!

Bar Century on Lpool St is 4 bucks a Schooner, and the bar across the road does (or did) very cheap Happy Hours (V Bar I think?). On Friday evening its a shocking 3 dollar a pint for Bulmers in the Cock and Bull! Jugs in O Malleys in the Cross are 6 dollars on a Sunday last I was there (been a while mind). Apart from that though, yeah, a big problem with Irish bars is that most Irish thing about them is that the price of a pint is near Temple Bar level.

Maybe an idea actually to start a cheap drink thread (tbh most of the cheaps are on happy hours, but theres plenty of them).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

On Friday evening its a shocking 3 dollar a pint for Bulmers in the Cock and Bull!
    That is unreal! it costs $4.5 for a 500ml bottle in my local

....anyway Mod back to the thread lads, issues facing Irish (and not the price of a pint!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

You have never heard an Aussie complain that booze is expensive. Jesus effin Christ, give it up :pac: Really, if I claimed that NRL and AFL are popular sports you would claim baseball is the most popular sport in Australia just to argue it.

).

Nah I just might be hanging around with the right kinda people or you are just making it up either way you cannot generalise as you usually do.... also enough of bagging Aussies I become one next month myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭TKline

One of the biggest issues facing the Irish in Australia is cost of accommodation. House prices are sky high and rents aren't much better. This is made even worse now by the weak Euro and strong Aussie dollar making everything ridiculously expensive here, not just housing but also food, drink, clothes, services, basically everything.

Australia has a massive property bubble and unlike Ireland where the bubble has already burst, house prices here keep going through the roof. Check out this article to see what I mean... Property Bubble in Australia.

As well as the high prices, there are restrictions on what you can buy when on a sponsored visa. You need to get Foreign Investment Review Board approval to buy, so most people are stuck in the rental market, but with vacancy rates around 1% in Sydney the market is very very tight. Good luck finding anything decent!

Cheers,

Tom Kline.

Oh, and one more thing, sadly there is a "social stigma" about renting in some places. Many homeowners look down on renters as if there's something wrong with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭603304529

Sorry, as an Aussie, living in Ireland (Dublin), who owns a house in Oz, rented out at the moment....

There is certainly a social stigma in Ireland as well, where renters are looked down on, in a certain way. Thats from personal experience. There's a perception, probably real, that renters are transient. But that doesn't mean we lower the tone!

Also, when you see the "quality" of people who apply, and rent, houses in Oz, I can well understand why there is a stigma associated with renters - SOME of the renters out there are as thick as pigshyte. I've paid 100 bucks for an electrician to go out to my house in Bris, to flick the ELCB switch on, cause the renter was too thick to know how to work it. Tell me why I shouldn't look down on him!?

603304529 wrote: »
    Sorry, as an Aussie, living in Ireland (Dublin), who owns a house in Oz, rented out at the moment....

There is certainly a social stigma in Ireland as well, where renters are looked down on, in a certain way. Thats from personal experience. There's a perception, probably real, that renters are transient. But that doesn't mean we lower the tone!

Also, when you see the "quality" of people who apply, and rent, houses in Oz, I can well understand why there is a stigma associated with renters - SOME of the renters out there are as thick as pigshyte. I've paid 100 bucks for an electrician to go out to my house in Bris, to flick the ELCB switch on, cause the renter was too thick to know how to work it. Tell me why I shouldn't look down on him!?

Plenty of homeowners are "thick" too, but I suspect the stigma against renters is global.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

TKline wrote: »
    One of the biggest issues facing the Irish in Australia is cost of accommodation. House prices are sky high and rents aren't much better. This is made even worse now by the weak Euro and strong Aussie dollar making everything ridiculously expensive here, not just housing but also food, drink, clothes, services, basically everything.

Australia has a massive property bubble and unlike Ireland where the bubble has already burst, house prices here keep going through the roof. Check out this article to see what I mean... Property Bubble in Australia.

As well as the high prices, there are restrictions on what you can buy when on a sponsored visa. You need to get Foreign Investment Review Board approval to buy, so most people are stuck in the rental market, but with vacancy rates around 1% in Sydney the market is very very tight. Good luck finding anything decent!

Cheers,

Tom Kline.

I checked out rents in Brisbane recently and could not believe my eyes. The last time I was there was 6 years ago. Cant believe how expensive it's gotten.

I was due to emigrate in Feb on a student visa for 3 years. The study alone was to cost 40k euro. And that's without even buying a tin of beans.:) The rents and overall cost of living there has put me off and i've since turned my offer down. Don't want such a massive financial noose around my neck. I know it's expensive in Ireland as well but at least I wont be saddled with massive study fees on top of that.

Advertisement