Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Busted heating!

Options
  • 30-11-2010 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi there, I live in a flat in an old house where there is central heating. It is however, controlled by the landlord, and he hasn`t been very generous with it, even in this freezing weather. Yesterday evening, the boiler broke, so we had no heat whatsoever. I told the landlord I would stay in a friends for the night as it was too cold in mine. Am I entitled to deduct this night from this weeks rent?
    The technician came today and fixed the boiler but said that since it was so old, that it could break down anytime again. Next time however, I don`t wanna have to settle for sleeping on my friends cold uncomfortable couch. So would I be entitled to stay in a hotel if there is no heating in my place, and then deduct that cost from my rent?
    I`ve just emailed Threshold now too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭u60gypx5jakoti

Any answers?
    Am I entitled to deduct that nights rent when the boiler broke and I had to stay at a friends? And if it breaks again this week or next with the freezing temperature, am I entitled to have the landlord pay for alternative accommodation, ie hotel or b&b? Seeing as though the boiler is ancient and the technician said it could go again anytime, I assume the landlord is culpable due to not replacing it with a newer more reliable one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Any answers?
    Am I entitled to deduct that nights rent when the boiler broke and I had to stay at a friends?

Did your friend charge you to stay at theirs?

Did the LL offer any alternative for heating before you said you would be staying at your friends?

And if it breaks again this week or next with the freezing temperature, am I entitled to have the landlord pay for alternative accommodation, ie hotel or b&b? Seeing as though the boiler is ancient and the technician said it could go again anytime, I assume the landlord is culpable due to not replacing it with a newer more reliable one.

The boiler broke down and following day someone came to fix it. That is a quick enough reponse to the issue so the LL is full filling their side of the lease. If they've been made aware that the boiler is gone and don't fix or replace it in a timely manner the property would not be fit for purpose and you can break your lease and move elsewhere.

Did the technician tell the LL the boiler was gone? Have you? Have you asked them if they are looking into getting it replaced?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

no your not entitled to deduct rent for this.

You should appreciate how fast your landlord sorted the issue rather than being so ungrateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

Am I entitled to deduct this night from this weeks rent?

No
    So would I be entitled to stay in a hotel if there is no heating in my place, and then deduct that cost from my rent?

No

Am I entitled to deduct that nights rent when the boiler broke and I had to stay at a friends?

No
    And if it breaks again this week or next with the freezing temperature, am I entitled to have the landlord pay for alternative accommodation, ie hotel or b&b?

No
    Seeing as though the boiler is ancient and the technician said it could go again anytime, I assume the landlord is culpable due to not replacing it with a newer more reliable one

No

Ok, thanks for clarifying all of that for me folks.

• Advertisement

The boiler broke again yesterday, repairman came today but said its unfixable. Now landlord is getting a new boiler in but it won`t be here until Thursday. So am I to just keep quiet, pay my rent and freeze for these 3 days?! That can`t be right! Surely I`m entitled to deduct the rent since it`s not hospitable if it`s freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

To be honest, you're being seriously dramatic. Yes, it's cold but if the LL has responded so quickly you're blessed. It broke on a Monday and a brand spanking new one is coming Thursday. What more do you want? Suck it up and be grateful you don't have a proper problem landlord who would leave you for weeks/months with no communication never mind heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Doolittle51

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4152198/c_1/1|category_root|Home+and+furniture|14417894/c_2/2|cat_14417894|Heaters+and+radiators|14417957/c_3/3|cat_14417957|Convector+heaters|14417964.htm

This will cost you roughly €0.26 an hour to run (on the highest setting). Every house should have at least 1 in case the heating breaks down.

Your landlord is doing his best. A new boiler installed by thursday! You can't argue with that. So stop moaning and do something about it yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

3 days. That is fast.

Advertisement