Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Live via D-Link via Zyxel Issue

• 30-11-2010 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am with Eircom and am using thie Zyxel router...

The wireless signal wasn't great to my Xbox and kept dropping connection to my work laptop so I bought a D-Link DIR655 and plugged this via cable to the Zyxel and am using the D-Link as the wireless for my work laptop and Xbox..

However my NAT type on Xbox Live is moderate.. when i plug the Xbox directly into the Zyxel NAT type is Open.. When I connect Xbox directly to the D-Link it's also Moderate..

So it seems that the D-link is stopping my NAT from being open. Is it because I have linked both routers?

Would it be that I am going through 2 Firewalls?

By the way I can't plug the D-Link directly to the ASDL as it doens't have that connection.

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You need to change the Zyxel to bridge mode, and then do all the NAT and Firewall in the Dlink. Connect everything through the Dlink, there should be nothing else connected to the Zyxel.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭treatyman

jor el wrote: »
    You need to change the Zyxel to bridge mode, and then do all the NAT and Firewall in the Dlink. Connect everything through the Dlink, there should be nothing else connected to the Zyxel.

I turned off the Firewall and Wireless.. What else do I need to change? Also do I need to change the username etc. over to the D-Link?

Thanks for your help

You can't set any user name in the Dlink, it's just a router. It won't have anything to do with the DSL connection. You need to set the modem to Bridge mode, so that the router is assigned a public IP. If you can't do this, then you may have to forget this setup, and buy a modem/router in one.

jor el wrote: »
    You can't set any user name in the Dlink, it's just a router. It won't have anything to do with the DSL connection. You need to set the modem to Bridge mode, so that the router is assigned a public IP. If you can't do this, then you may have to forget this setup, and buy a modem/router in one.

I tried to set the Zyxel to Bridge setting but immediately nothing worked.. I then changed it back to Route setting but still nothing worked so had to reset the Zyxel.. I tried the Bridge setting again and same thing happened.. D-Link is connected via cable.

When I set the Zyxel to Bridge the basic modem configuration setting disappears, surely I need to specify these somewhere on the D-Link?

I'll keep looking for answers but in the meantime I am back to square one

The Dlink isn't a modem, so you can't give it the modem specs, or DSL values. I don't know anything about configuring the eircom Zyxel, as they installed their own custom firmware on it. The modem is crap though, that I do know.

The only way this will work is to put the modem in bridge mode, then connect one of it's Ethernet ports to the WAN port on the Dlink. This will assign the public IP to the Dlink's WAN port. Then do all your NAT on the Dlink. Youll need to configure the modem when it's connected on it's own, no Dlink connected to it. Then add that when the modem in in bridge mode, and configure the Dlink.

• Advertisement

I got the Xbox to NAT type Open after all.. I can't seem to get Bridge mode working on Zyxel / d-Link... So I turned off Firewall settings on the Zyxel and NAT is now Open on Xbox..

Now my worry is the network insecure or will the D-Link take care of it?

Advertisement