Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any way out of a sub prime mortgage?

Options
  • 30-11-2010 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Would like some help with the following if possible:

About 7 years ago I got into some payment difficulties and the only option open to me at the time was a "subprime" mortgage. My bank had turned me down and basically said to apply again in a few years "when I have prooved my ability to pay". As like many other people I thought the subprime route was only a temporary thing until I could reapply for a "normal" mortgage at a decent interest rate.

I have managed to pay my subprime mortgage over the 7 years and I have made many attempts to get a normal mortgage from my bank in the meantime, but they have always turned me down as I think it takes 7 years to clear your poor credit rating. Unfortunately for me since I have improved my credit rating, the banks are closed for business (no matter what they say) so I have no hope of getting a mortgage from any of the regular banks.

I have come to the point where I can no longer continue to pay my mortgage on time (mainly due to the high interest rate) and will no doubt have a poor credit rating again. I have given up all hope of ever getting a mortgage from a regular bank. I have paid nearly 140k in mortgage repayments but have only seen about 15k coming off my balance due to the high interest rate.

All I want is a mortgage at a normal interest rate.

Would appreciate any ideas/advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

excav wrote: »
    Would like some help with the following if possible:

About 7 years ago I got into some payment difficulties and the only option open to me at the time was a "subprime" mortgage. My bank had turned me down and basically said to apply again in a few years "when I have prooved my ability to pay". As like many other people I thought the subprime route was only a temporary thing until I could reapply for a "normal" mortgage at a decent interest rate.

I have managed to pay my subprime mortgage over the 7 years and I have made many attempts to get a normal mortgage from my bank in the meantime, but they have always turned me down as I think it takes 7 years to clear your poor credit rating. Unfortunately for me since I have improved my credit rating, the banks are closed for business (no matter what they say) so I have no hope of getting a mortgage from any of the regular banks.

I have come to the point where I can no longer continue to pay my mortgage on time (mainly due to the high interest rate) and will no doubt have a poor credit rating again. I have given up all hope of ever getting a mortgage from a regular bank. I have paid nearly 140k in mortgage repayments but have only seen about 15k coming off my balance due to the high interest rate.

All I want is a mortgage at a normal interest rate.

Would appreciate any ideas/advice.

Whats your interest rate at the moment? Would you consider selling the property. SInce you bought 7 years ago you may be around neutral equity and you may be able to cut your losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 excav

I think the interest rate is currently around 8% but not 100% sure as I have stopped looking at the rates and just try to concentrate on making the repayment each month. I had it suggested to me a few months ago to try to switch to another subprime lender to try to get a slightly better rate but I dont see this as an improvement on the situation as the repayments that I have made on the current mortgage should stand to me in the future should I fall behind on the repayments rather than starting afresh with a new subprime lender.

I wouldnt consider selling the house, if I sell I will never be in a position to get another house so where do my family and I go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

excav wrote: »
    I think the interest rate is currently around 8% but not 100% sure as I have stopped looking at the rates and just try to concentrate on making the repayment each month. I had it suggested to me a few months ago to try to switch to another subprime lender to try to get a slightly better rate but I dont see this as an improvement on the situation as the repayments that I have made on the current mortgage should stand to me in the future should I fall behind on the repayments rather than starting afresh with a new subprime lender.

I wouldnt consider selling the house, if I sell I will never be in a position to get another house so where do my family and I go from there.

Unfortunately its unlikely you will be able to get a mortgage elsewhere as i am sure you are aware. You can try again but you may have to wait a few years.

8% is high but unfortunately you foolishly entered into a long term contract with a lender with the hope of another lender bailing you out of it. Very bad financial decision as you are banking on a everything going right for you and getting approved by other lenders.

I have sympathy for you but to a limited degree and the reason is the reputable banks (hard to say that now :rolleyes:/) said you were a risk but you went forward with it down the subprime route and now here you are. You got the rate associated with your risk category.

Advertisement