Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is David Moyes all that?

• 30-11-2010 2:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭

Generally considered the best manager in England apart from the legends of Ferguson and Wenger, and expected to be the prime candidate to replace old red face at Man U - but, on reflection, how successful has he been.

- once off finish of 4th place and losing in first qualifer
    - generally has injury prone players
    - almost always start the season slowly
    - took so long to let Lescott leave that he had no time to get replacement
    - lost Dan Gosling for free on the basis of a gentleman's agreement
    - signed Louis Saha ( albeit on pay as you play ) who is almost never fit
    - generally never has a fit frontline
    - signed the Russian Bilyaletdinov who has yet to shine
    - signed Beckford who has been a disaster
    - has won 4 games all season

He generally gets a good press but is he deserving ?
    :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

But they have no money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Nah i think Moyesy is a great manager. Since the advent of the PL Everton have struggled big time to stay in it and make an impression. Not only has Moyes kept them in it, he has got them playing at as high a level as they possibly can considering their shambolic finances.

He has signed a fair few duds, but again so have most managers. Although i would have thought these famous medicals players take would have shown up that a player is in fact a raging alcoholic :pac:.

Would have liked to have seen him at Villa with Lerners money, don't think he'll ever match his previous success's at Everton again without serious cash money. Maybe after GH departs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

mike65 wrote: »
    But they have no money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! etc

Always find that funny. They have spent a reasonable amount of money over the years. Mostly on poor players or good players that are always injured. I'm not sure which one of those categories Andy Van Der Meyde fits into ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Nah i think Moyesy is a great manager. Since the advent of the PL Everton have struggled big time to stay in it and make an impression. Not only has Moyes kept them in it, he has got them playing at as high a level as they possibly can considering their shambolic finances.

He has signed a fair few duds, but again so have most managers. Although i would have thought these famous medicals players take would have shown up that a player is in fact a raging alcoholic :pac:.Would have liked to have seen him at Villa with Lerners money, don't think he'll ever match his previous success's at Everton again without serious cash money. Maybe after GH departs.

who you talking about here? pm if you want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

redzerdrog wrote: »

Already mentioned on the thread - Van Der Meyde.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

redzerdrog wrote: »

Van Der Meyde afaik.

Outside of Manchester United and Arsenal faith in managers in the Premier League is fickle to say the least and the fact that Moyes has been retained at Everton for 8 odd years should answer your question.

He's a top manager who's probably taken Everton as far as they can go under him though there would have to a question mark over how he'd do at a big club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I think he's an excellent manager who has consistently gotten Everton a positions above where you'd expect them to finish in the table. Starting this thread based on their current league position is a clasic knee jerk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Generally considered the best manager in England apart from the legends of Ferguson and Wenger, and expected to be the prime candidate to replace old red face at Man U - but, on reflection, how successful has he been.

- once off finish of 4th place and losing in first qualifer - no other manager with his resources has done this - one of the achievements of the PL
    - generally has injury prone players - who doesnt?
    - almost always start the season slowly - tell me about it
    - took so long to let Lescott leave that he had no time to get replacement - got paid top dollar for an average enough player £24m
    - lost Dan Gosling for free on the basis of a gentleman's agreement - wasnt his fault, administrative error, average player anyways
    - signed Louis Saha ( albeit on pay as you play ) who is almost never fit - Saha has done well when he has played and as you say its pay as you play- generally never has a fit frontline - unlucky with injuries
    - signed the Russian Bilyaletdinov who has yet to shine - fair enough, tell me one team that hasnt bought someone average
    - signed Beckford who has been a disaster - free transfer and still finding his feet- has won 4 games all season - what can we say slow start to the season. Everton will easily finish in the top half and prob get a Euro spot

He generally gets a good press but is he deserving ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

He is a good manager.

Thats all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Much as it goes against the grain for me to admit it, I think Moyes is a good manager who, imho, gets the club and gets what the club means to the blue half of the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

He's the better version of Hodgson. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

The state Everton will be in once he leaves will show how good a manager he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Moyes has a net spend of 3m per season since he's arrived at Goodison. I dont have the figures but im sure the likes of Villa/Spurs/Man C(obviously)/Sunderland/Newcastle and possibly even Fulham along with the big 4 all have a bigger net spend in the last 8 years.

Yes he has bought some duds Kroldrup(5m) Beattie(6m) and Bilyletdinov(9m) but when you compare that with getting Cahill, Pienaar, Arteta, Baines, Howard and Jagielka for 20m combined he hasn't done too bad.

We always start poorly for some strange reason but i still think he'll get us to around 10th this season. The Everton fans are slowly starting to turn against him tho due to negative tactics and our poor run.

All in all i wouldn't say he's a great manager. He's in the top 7/8 in the premiership in my eyes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

A good manager but if his name was Davide Moycini the English press would be calling for his head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    A good manager but if his name was Davide Moycini the English press would be calling for his head.

That says more about the English press than it does Moyes tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He's a good manager. I'd love to see him tested at a club with money. Would have liked to see him take on the challenge of Spurs or somebody. Don't think he should take over United, would prefer Mourinho :)

Advertisement