Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How is Brown Thomas doing in the recession?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

zuroph wrote: »
    bigpink loves a bit of gossip.

who,Vamp? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

The Limerick branch is the worst performing BT in the country. Doesn't necessarily mean it will close though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

RonMexico wrote: »
    The Limerick branch is the worst performing BT in the country. Doesn't necessarily mean it will close though.

That's cos we're salt of the earth bud, and don't need no fancy labels or stinkin badges!
    If they sold Tommy Brubacker or Naff jackets with Sizzlers, BT would be flying it in Limerick kid! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Well, I dont think BTs is over priced for what it sells. I bought a designer bag recently in a shop. I then went into BTs and it was the same price. I saw the bag online and it was same price too.

It all depends on what your perception is on buying products. As a poster said a few pages back, people spending money (who have it) = helping economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

RonMexico wrote: »

The company I work for's Limerick store is the worst performing in Ireland too but our shop has taken over a million since April.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cyberspi

Love the begrudgery from some people!
    I don't get to make big purchases much these days but I like to have high end/good quality equipment in my kitchen. Believe me, before i make any big purchases I shop around and time upon time I find that the cheapest place to get what I'm looking for is BTs. That is over Debenhams, Homestore and More, Carrig Don, Avoca and Meadows and Byrne, and often, due to shipping charges for large/weighty items, cheaper than online. (I will admit though, I do most of this shopping at sale time!)
    Also, when I'm making large/costly purchases I like to do this in a bricks and mortar store so as if there are any issues I can bring it back to them rather than worry about return shipping.
    BTs is more than just a clothes shop..

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭diol07

bigpink wrote: »
    can you pm the story thanks
    Nope, I won't be pm-ing anybody the stories, sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

diol07 wrote: »
    Nope, I won't be pm-ing anybody the stories, sorry!

the story is rubbish anyway, its been doing the rounds for years and years for all the branches. It was an old wives tale when my GF worked there about 6 years ago. The basic jist is the shoes were counterfeit. its bull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Cherrycoke wrote: »
    BT sells loads of makeup brands that you can't get anywhere else in Limerick, so if that's your brand, then you're gonna go there :) Most makeup products cost less than €50, so it's an affordable treat.

Also they have more affordable clothing brands like Lipsy, Mango etc. so it's not all Hugo Boss and Dolce & Gabanna being bought in there!

€50?? That's a visit to the local GP!! I think I'll be sticking with Boots myself, 4 advantage card points to the euro? How can ya go wrong :D

Not talking specifically about BT's, but their staff. Oh dear lord. It's ridiculous. If I'm on my break from work with one of the girls we'll have a quick stroll around the bigger shops. If I have my name badge on which has the name of a nice upmarket shop on it and I have my Guess purse in my hand(which I got in the airport about 3 years ago for £30sterling and will be using until it falls to pieces, and the only thing making it bulge are Penneys reciepts and coppers) the sales assistants are only too happy to have a go at the 'this is new in/this seasons hottest blah blah blah....' sales pitch.
    If I'm coming home from college and my bus pulls up outside BT's instead of Centra and I've to walk up William St then YES I'm gonna cut through and go out the AlWear door. But when I'm in a hoodie with a backpack the sales assistants jump me to make sure my sticky little student hands dont leave paw prints all over the gaff. Ridiculous.
    Where I work, everyone that comes through our doors gets a hello/hi/how're things just to let them know we're glad they're even bothering to look.

Being totally honest, if they shut up shop in the morning the only shame would be the loss of jobs. It's not like they offer something major to the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

[QUOTE=SarahBeep!;

Being totally honest, if they shut up shop in the morning the only shame would be the loss of jobs. It's not like they offer something major to the city.[/QUOTE]

Great to see begrudgery is alive and well and living in Limerick FFS..

Ive dipped in and out of this thread over the last few days and the some of the opinions are just so ridiculously negative about a department store...its only a STORE...

if you dont like it dont shop there ...but yes Sarah Beep it would be a loss ...

A MAJOR LOSS...

Limerick City is on its knees, the planners the councillors have conspired to ruin this city by allowing shopping centres to spring up all around the outskirts of this city and take the lifeblood out of this city....the customers...

Apart from the jobs the revenue thats generated is ENORMOUS..
    It is one of 4 major department stores in the country and whether you like it or not some people like to wear very expensive designer clothing and purchase luxury goods ...this is still a very wealthy country with over 85 billion on deposit in privately held bank a/cs so
    why have the money leave Limerick.

Limerick City is already on its knees ...its run down and delapidated and unfortunately we will see another no of shop closures in January.

BT's is a major draw for people in a City the size and population of Limerick and is crucial in attracting further footfall for this city and the other traders still operating...

So put your petty prejudices away & grow up ...
    you say youre a student...lets hope when you get your degree and land yourself great job paying a decent salary, You will have the OPTION if you so choose to buy that designer handbag or dress or whatever in BTS...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    €50?? That's a visit to the local GP!! I think I'll be sticking with Boots myself, 4 advantage card points to the euro? How can ya go wrong :D

I actually said less than €50, and I don't get how you can compare buying cosmetics to a gp visit :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

SarahBeep! wrote:

And how much are vibrators these days? Im sure theyd be roughly the same as a visit to a GP? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

moby2101 wrote: »
    you say youre a student...lets hope when you get your degree and land yourself great job paying a decent salary, You will have the OPTION if you so choose to buy that designer handbag or dress or whatever in BTS...
    Believe me, I wont be 'landing' any job. If I get a job in my field it'll be because I worked my behind off for my qualification. And the salary I sart on wont be 'Decent'
    And how much are vibrators these days? Im sure theyd be roughly the same as a visit to a GP? :P

I don't see what that has to do with ANYHING! Hahahahahahahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Believe me, I wont be 'landing' any job. If I get a job in my field it'll be because I worked my behind off for my qualification. And the salary I sart on wont be 'Decent'

Im afraid you're misunderstanding the terms "landing" and "decent".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

And if you do well and can afford to buy nice things in Brown Thomas or fly to Paris or whatever, will you still insist on shopping in cheaper shops?

There's certain things I think it's worth paying extra for (nothing I'd buy in Brown Thomas though).

• Advertisement
Advertisement