Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whta be your favourite Final Fantasy??

Options
  • 30-11-2010 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

In my humble opinion FF VIII is the most epic one there is, well maybe VII.
    The idea of the gardens kinda reminds me of stargate atlantis. And GUNBLADES (I FU**IN want one......or 6)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Hiya,

You missed it, we had a Final Fantasy forum and everything for YEARS!

Recently changed (for the better) to the Japanese RPG forum here

I'd normally say VII in answer to your question but i've been enjoying IX a bit too much lately so I'll settle with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Lamb_of_God

lol.my bad.yeah ive been playin 9 for the last few days actually.Is it possible to get alexander as a useable eidolon r what??

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

VII is the greatest but IX is my favorite, followed closely by X. And no its not possible to get Alexander as an Eidolon, wish you could though, but from what you see from his defense of alexandria he'd probably just level every town in the game!

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

IX will always stand out in hindsight, it was a last gasp "soul vs polish and flash" Final Fantasy, before the "shiny new" police began taking over in earnest.

The problem with abandoning the non-commercial, awkward-to-work-with "warmth" in RPG's is they become nothing more then the sum of their graphics, action and newness. games like FFIX, Breath of fire 3/4, Suikoden I/II Grandia, Wild Arms, age well because no one was impressed with the graphics in the first place, they lived and died by their story and dialogue (which you READ), their connection to the player and their charm.

New shiny RPG's have no charm, or lasting, their production bulldozes through because graphics need to be shown, deadlines need to be met and let the story people worry about their bit. You can't make a good story by throwing money at it. you need money yes, but to hire the right people, go through artistic trial and error, patience etc.

I cant decide wither X or IX is my favourite, X for fighting, and IX for Dialogue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭HooterSnout

My favourite is VI. But then again I haven't played one since, except for XIII which didn't top it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

VII will probably always be my favourite. It was my first proper RPG, and my introduction to the Final Fantasy series. Looking back, i can probably admit that it wasnt the best FF, but it's the one that i look back on most fondly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

FFX-2 because those Al Bhed thongs look so comfy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

9 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Probably X, followed by IX then VII

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 seriousbuns

X absolutely loved that game, last boss was too easy by the time i got to him though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

FFIV for me, loved the characters. FFXII for fighting though, the fact i could move around was mind boggling! :pac: Cant forget VIII and IX too as runners up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 BlackOnyx

FF XII would be my favorite with FFVI ranking highly even though i never finished it

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭johnnycnandy

Story VII, Gameplay VIII, Battle System X

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

we been done this discussion to dead :P this time i m gonna go for the FF that i-miss-it-so-much-but-i-cant-play-it because-my-ps2-wont read-ps1-game: FFT!!!

or maybe ill go ffx this time. i play back ffx recently. having defence+strength 255 on my 3 characters are so game breaking lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Everty time someine asks this question I smile because it's a bit like walking down memory lane.

For me it was 7. The first RPG I'd ever played except some flirting with zelda on the snes and to be honest I was blown away. The immersive story just swept me up and away to another place. Played it 4 times start to finish. But the first time (shame...) was special...

10 was the next one that story wise I thought came close.

8 was also a worthy game and a very worthy follow up to 7.

I never could get 9. Wish I could but the little people thing just didn't sit right with me.

Totally agree that new FF's like 13 are just graphical showcasing and trying to hard to get 'hip with the kids'. It was an unholy mess of a game and the reviewers should be ashamed for the high scores they awarded.

That said I think anyone that has played and loved a FF game on PS1 has like any star wars fan developed a romantic attachement to the past which gets stronger with time, we gloss over the defects (and why not) and it's going to be hard to accept the new dazzle future.

That said, some of new stuff is really rubbish....and the sequel to 13 which it is said hopes to explain the story only goes to prove how rediculous and silly the first story was.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭DaylightDies

I've cleared most of the FF games minus 2 and 4 and I actually think viii or Xii are the best. There was tonnes to do in FF12 and after beating the very last hunt I was extremely satisfied :D

I don't know why people are so angry about FF Xii.. really? Yes, it's linear. Yes, it's short (minus hunts) . Is the storyline poor? Not at all . The combat system is excellent, the graphics are fantastic, the soundtrack is fantastic, the side quests are tough but awesome.

To the poster above: The game is great, just because it's more accesible and not on the ps1 doesn't make it a rubbish game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Didn't like FF12 because the story was ok until that huge deus ex machina at the end which made it awful for me. Also didn't like the battle system at all. Just found it totally boring that once I had the right gambits set up you were basically sitting back to watch all the battles which were long and boring and in between running in circles to get your MP back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Didn't like FF12 because the story was ok until that huge deus ex machina at the end which made it awful for me. Also didn't like the battle system at all. Just found it totally boring that once I had the right gambits set up you were basically sitting back to watch all the battles which were long and boring and in between running in circles to get your MP back.
    and yet you enjoyed 13.......

I enjoyed FF13 for what it was. The characters were ok, even the annoying ones redeemed themselves a little and the story was interesting enough up until the dreadful ending. Music was exceptional and the battle system was superb. It wasn't amazing but it wasn't the worst game ever that some people I was going through reams of normal enemies watching the battle system play itself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

I never let the gambit system do all the work in XII...always sent commands through a main character and let the gambit take care of the others (alot like xiii but with more control)...except for boss battles of course where i sent commands to all my party members ^_^

I just felt there was something soulless about the battle system in XIII. I didnt feel like i was casting spells at all really. If the AI does too much of the thinking i lose touch a little with the characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

ive played ff8 onwards and my favourite has to be 8 followed by 10, but i enjoyed them all bar 13 which was a shambles

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pablo-jericho

7 will always be the one for me, told quite the tale.

carbonkid wrote: »
    I never let the gambit system do all the work in XII...always sent commands through a main character and let the gambit take care of the others (alot like xiii but with more control)...except for boss battles of course where i sent commands to all my party members ^_^

Well I found not using the gambit system exasperated the issue and made combat drag on for even longer. The only place I felt the battle system worked was in the boss battles were it worked great.

Advertisement