Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom ADSL Settings

• 30-11-2010 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Just picked up this router to extend the range of my wireless broadband. I currently have the one eircom delivered.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6759520/Trail/searchtext%3EROUTER+DSL.htm

I was wondering what settings I need to be aware of in order to configure this to work optimally for eircom.
    Should I completely replace the eircom one or just connect it to the new one via ethernet, turning off the wireless broadcast in the eircom router? What's the best way to set it up?

Thanks v.much!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Replacing the router may not do anything to improve range. If you want to connect the two together, you should have bought a router only, not a modem/router. the best thing to do is replace the eircom modem with this one. Settings can be found on eircom's help pages, or by looking in the config pages of the eircom router, and copying them to the new one.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

In short,
    user/pass
    VPI/VCI
    PPPoE or PPPoA
    LLC-BASED or VC-BASED

I'd personally just use the new modem myself but then you need to be aware that Eircom won't likely support it, by support it I mean talk you through configuring it etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭leftfooter

Thanks Guys, I'll give those settings a try & see how I get on. Do either of you know if Eircom are supplying any N DSL modem/routers perchance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

They don't. N is not the solution to your problems anyway. It more than likely won't make a bit of difference.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

These are the settings you will need for the new model:

Basic Modem Config:
    Username: eircom@eircom.net
    Password: broadband1
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35

For the "n" standard you need all items on the network to have "n" cards otherwise the network will operate at the "g" standard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement