Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Expert required

Options
  • 30-11-2010 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hopefully someone out there can be of assistance,
    I am at my wits end with Eircom.
    I have eircom installed in my home and works fine as long as I am doing the basics.
    However if i go to download video's music or watch show's on the rte player the connection keeps buffering or the download takes about 3 weeks.
    I have had numerous eircom people out to me saying different things.
    Such as its due to rain, need another cable, its the tiles i put down.
    Bottom line is I have lost faith in these people as the info is very inconsistent information and all expensive solutions!!!:mad:

Is there anywhere I can go to get someone independent to review my broadband and see if there is a more straight forward solution?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭tagoona

First off, we'd need some information
    What speed have you subscribed to?
    Describe this normal stuff that you do where everything is fine?

Line Speed
    Now go to http://www.eircom.net/broadband/products/ and input your phone number
    When the page moves on you get something like below in the address bar http://www.eircom.net/broadband/products/?view=Eircomnet&lineSpeed=6144&ngb=false
    The LineSpeed is the absolute max you can get

Check your current speed by going to speedtest.net and posting the results

Line details.
    Go to the webpage for your netopia router http://192.168.1.254 and cut and paste the line statistics

Check for problems with the wireless connection as opposed to the broadband.
    Plug the computer directly into the router using a LAN cable and see do the same issues occur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 smalley

Thanks for that. It just seems that the service is just terrible, regardless of the speed. We can't even use the phone line really because the connection is so bad, also supplied by Eircom. Even when the laptop is connected via the cable the internet speed and service is terrible, it makes no difference.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

smalley wrote: »
    Thanks for that. It just seems that the service is just terrible, regardless of the speed. We can't even use the phone line really because the connection is so bad, also supplied by Eircom. Even when the laptop is connected via the cable the internet speed and service is terrible, it makes no difference.

The linestats would give some solid numbers and reasons why though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If you want the people who contribute on here to help you with your line please give the details they request. Moaning is not going to get you any further with your problem

So could you please start with your line stats?

Also do you have any additional extensions installed?

tagoona wrote: »
    First off, we'd need some information
    What speed have you subscribed to?
    Describe this normal stuff that you do where everything is fine?

Line Speed
    Now go to http://www.eircom.net/broadband/products/ and input your phone number
    When the page moves on you get something like below in the address bar http://www.eircom.net/broadband/products/?view=Eircomnet&lineSpeed=6144&ngb=false
    The LineSpeed is the absolute max you can get

Check your current speed by going to speedtest.net and posting the results

Line details.
    Go to the webpage for your netopia router http://192.168.1.254 and cut and paste the line statistics

Check for problems with the wireless connection as opposed to the broadband.
    Plug the computer directly into the router using a LAN cable and see do the same issues occur.

Here are is the info, hope I am providing it correctly and I do appreciate everyones assistance.

i am unable to input my phone number into the http://www.eircom.net/broadband/products/
    The pop up window wont fully open.
    I checked it on my friends iphone and got http://www.eircom.net/broadband/products/?view=Eircomnet&lineSpeed=6144&ngb=true

From speedtest.net 1052900273.png

Line details
    Speed
    704/512 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation
    41/26 dB

Plugging in the computer into the router makes no difference.

Do you need more information or is this sufficient?
    Thanks for everyones help. Boards is best

• Advertisement

Whats the snr?

dub45 wrote: »
    Whats the snr?

whats is a snr? where would i find that?

Router Information Router Name
    Netopia
    Model
    2247-02
    Serial Number
    MAC Address
    00:0f:cc:ae:4e:a4
    Software Version
    7.7.0r6
    Warranty Date
    4/30/2007

is this the snr?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

is this the snr?

No, look for Noise Margin or similar, measured in dB.

Line Attenuation41/26 dB
    Line Attenuation

• Advertisement

Line Attenuation41/26 dB
    Line Attenuation

No, that's the attenuation, which is also measured in dB.

Spear wrote: »

can you suggest a way I can find the snr number?

think i have it
    DSL Statistics
    DSL Statistics

Line StateUpModulationDMTData PathInterleave
    DownstreamUpstreamMax Allowed Speed (kbps)704512SN Margin (dB)6.5020.00Line Attenuation (dB)41.5026.00CRC Errors9544

That didnt come out great, its 6.50 downstream and 20 upstream

That didnt come out great, its 6.50 downstream and 20 upstream

6.5dB is pretty poor and means you'll be exposed to noise and line drops. Ideally this number should be as high as possible. Do you have anything else plugged into the phone lines, faxes, Sky boxes etc? If so try removing them, reconnecting the DSL and see what the stats are like then.

6.5dB is pretty poor and means you'll be exposed to noise and line drops. Ideally this number should be as high as possible. Do you have anything else plugged into the phone lines, faxes, Sky boxes etc? If so try removing them, reconnecting the DSL and see what the stats are like then.

I unplugged the telephone line from the sky box and this increased the snr to 7.
    I then unplugged the land line and the snr raise to 12.5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

I unplugged the telephone line from the sky box and this increased the snr to 7.
    I then unplugged the land line and the snr raise to 12.5

Even though your SNR is low at 6.5db, Eircom set all DSL ports at the exchange to 6.5db.

If you have spoken to eircom numerous times then we can presume you have spilters attached to all the active phone sockets in your house?

If unplugging your phone results in such a huge jump in your snr then that would suggest that there is something wrong in that area. Have you tried another handset?

This is worth reading:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

How many internal sockets do you have? Is there a lot of internal wiring?

Did your sky box have a filter on it?

Advertisement