Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DC Universe Online - Download and play for FREE!

Options
  • 30-11-2010 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Anyone getting this? looks amazing. Just hope the apparent subscription fees are just rumours..Apparently because it's classed as a MMORG it more than likely be subscription every month? Anyone hear anything?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Moved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1108657p1.html

"If you want to whip up a hero or a villain and go at it in DC Universe Online, you'll need to pay $14.99 a month to get all of the MMO action."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

What do people think of this ive seen a few friends playing it but ive no idea how to team up so ive been just doing the missions alone.

The world they have created is stunning its huge, but fairly confusing to figure out whats going on but im getting the grips with it. The aiming can be a pain with the guns locking onto objects not enemies etc.

This could be great with a group of 4 or 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's a really good game. The true test will be to see if I wish to keep paying when the month is up, or just trade it. The cities are very well made and the music is just incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I reckon I'm gonna crack and pick this up shortly...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Its a good game, runs very smooth for a game still in its first week live. Tis very lightweight, not a game to spend months and months doing daily quests and raids (though they are there if you want), but more play for a month when you need a break from the more traditional MMO style games.

Combat is great, far FAR more interactive than WoW or such, but there is a high prevelance of stun-locks and knockdowns. Had one Alert (DCUO's dungeons) where one group of mobs kept doing AoE stuns that knocked me back again and again so couldnt move or heal so was insta death :(

Also seems it beat SW:ToR to the punch as it has full voice for almost all the quests Ive seen, plus a few cutscenes in the quest chains.

As for updates, Brokers (auction houses) are confirmed for the first update (hopefully start of Feburary) as the UI was buggy in beta so they held it back to tweak it. And semi-confirmed by Chris Cao (game director) of a big update to tie in with the Green Lantern movie centred around the green and Yellow lantern corps. Could tie into the first of 4 rumoured extra powersets almost ready (Hard Light, Rock, Electric, Atomic) then theres some bright days ahead for DCUO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    And semi-confirmed by Chris Cao (game director) of a big update to tie in with the Green Lantern movie centred around the green and Yellow lantern corps.

Sinestro Corps content?! I've always avoided MMOs because I know what my life would become and I felt no great connection. Now there's a DC one and an SW one shortly? Kinda glad they cancelled the Marvel one...
    theres some bright days ahead for DCUO.

You might even say its "Brightest Day" is ahead of it...*snort*

Well there is a "Ring War" Event every half hour or so that has the green and yellow lanterns tearing into each other in part of Metropolis and ya have to defeat 5 players on the opposite side while aiding the lanterns on your side.

Was never a big DC fan so learning about the heros and villains is kinda cool. now if they made a Marvel game as good as this then thats it, life over, get rid of all my pants as never leaving the house again and want to play in comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Well there is a "Ring War" Event every half hour or so that has the green and yellow lanterns tearing into each other in part of Metropolis and ya have to defeat 5 players on the opposite side while aiding the lanterns on your side.

Was never a big DC fan so learning about the heros and villains is kinda cool. now if they made a Marvel game as good as this then thats it, life over, get rid of all my pants as never leaving the house again and want to play in comfort.

Yeah, tempted by this but just don't think it's for me. But I'd be all over a Marvel one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Is there much of a difference between the finished product and the beta?

I was in the beta and found myself getting kinda bored by the time I'd reached level 10+, all the quests seem to be pretty much the same: "kill x number x enemy type"

No one seemed to be teaming up, everyone was just going solo. Also found the menu interface to be painfully slow.

I love the idea of this game on paper, but the beta really has put me off it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Hearing nothing but bad stuff about this personally.

Was looking forward to this to hopefully take a way a little from my serious WoW play, but the people who are trying it out arnt impressed.

MMO's live or die by their endgame material, and seemingly this game doesnt really have one.

Added the facts its very much pvp based, just doesnt bode well for me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I'm really enjoying it anyway. Playing on the PS3 and pleasantly surprised how well it works on a console, yet keeping a lot of MMO staples. It has everything I enjoyed about playing Warcraft, but I was never too into the end game stuff, and was happy enough to solo most of the time, so DC suits me grand that way. Also the subject, the world and all are much more appealing to me being a bit of a Batman-junkie, so I'm having a great time with it. Whether it holds my attention or not is another thing, will see how I go at the end of the month.

Pretty much everyone I've talked to who's played it has really enjoyed it, and I've seen loads of positive write ups about it and positive talk on podcasts and the like. Maybe it's a PC thing. I could see how it could be frustrating on PC, because it is very much designed with a console in mind and I can imagine it could seem very limited to a PC player especially coming from other MMOs.

All in all I'm nicely surprised by just how much I'm enjoying it and how much fun I'm having with it. Looking forward to see how they support it in the future.

Yeah, it's probably been done and done better on PC, but I (with my primitive console standards :) ) am very happy with the game. Some of the heroes people have designed and named are so hilariously bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Mr. K wrote: »
    I reckon I'm gonna crack and pick this up shortly...

Don't think you're meant to be posting/saying stuff like that in Games, goes against the charter I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Don't think you're meant to be posting/saying stuff like that in Games, goes against the charter I think

He didn't mean what you think he meant. He meant his resolve to not buy the game would crack and he'd give into temptation and buy it.

Im not seeing where the "theres no content at endgame" stuff comes from? From what I can tell theres 2 raids, 7 Alerts (dungeons) with Hard mode solely for levels 30, seperate Arena and Legend PvP groupings for level 30's, plus feats (achievements) that also unlock extra skill points, collectibles dotted round the maps, and hunting for extra clothing style unlocks (the only way to get a cowboy hat is finding the 4 or collectibles in one of the Hard Alerts).Add to that the open world PvP thats always springing up (and a large group of mid-levels could take on some high levels).

Now if you switch pets and mounts for clothing styles and collectibles as both are largely cosmetic upgrades to flash your e-peen, all WoW or most other MMO's have over DCUO is a crafting system. And for the life of me I have never seen the endgame of an MMO hinge on if there is crafting or not.

Not to say the game is perfect (UI and crudy way they handled style unlocks) but its a solid foundation. Now if the rumours of Planetside 2.0 in march are true then a Station Pass might be a wise investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Is the levelling any slower than in the Beta as i got to 20 fast in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭daredevilfan

whats the story with the huge downloading that is doneat the start of this....does this happen everytime you go to play it or a once off??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

the online subscription , how does that work? its €65 for 180 days. Is that 180 daily log ins or 180 days whether you play it or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

i would like to know why the ps3 version has a 15gb install , seriously whats the point of the blue ray disk if you have to install the files on the hardrive while the smarter thing imo is to put all the files on the disk which holds 50gb of space

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

whats the story with the huge downloading that is doneat the start of this....does this happen everytime you go to play it or a once off??

It'll just be the first time. But as bugs are found and fixed and extra content becomes available, you'll find that you'll have occasional updates to download. But they won't be nearly as large.
    tonydude wrote: »
    the online subscription , how does that work? its €65 for 180 days. Is that 180 daily log ins or 180 days whether you play it or not

If it's anything like a standard MMO sub, it's for 180 days whether you play or not.
    i would like to know why the ps3 version has a 15gb install , seriously whats the point of the blue ray disk if you have to install the files on the hardrive while the smarter thing imo is to put all the files on the disk which holds 50gb of space
    I'd say it's because the game will be constantly updating as patches and new content is released. This way they know they have 15gb to play with. If they didn't do that you might run out of hard disk space and not be able to patch the game, making it unplayable.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

15Gb? That's put me right off now. Only have about 17Gb free (60Gb hard drive cos I'm old skool yo). And that 17Gb is only there because I recently ran out of space and had to start deleting stuff. Don't think I can delete much more

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

tonydude wrote: »

I would imagine it's a straight run of 180 days as opposed to cumulative game time. The latter would mean that you could get something like 4000+hrs of game time for €65, which would not make sense from a business POV.

I'm curious if the game at all follows the storyline of the rather excellent trailer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

I'm curious if the game at all follows the storyline of the rather excellent trailer?

It does. There's a lot of missions where you fight against Brainiacs minions, and the Exobytes that Lex Luthor releases in the trailer are what give you your powers and allow you to gain new powers by leveling up.

I'm about level 10 now, and while I'm enjoying it for the most part, I'm not sure if I'll last past the first 'free' month to be honest.

The reason its a 15Gb install is because blu-rays have terrible seek rates and so you would be standing round for ages as the game loaded, and thats not fun on a PvP server. Plus its 2 big open world maps so everything would have to be accessed quickly, as well as all the costumes and power graphics and sound effects since you could bump into any combination of power/outfit/etc anywhere in the world.

The story picks up right after the cinematic, Brainiac is in the middle of his invasion and you have awoken on one of his ships with the basic powers from one of the Exobytes Lex released. You escape with the help of Lex or Superman and continue to thwarth Brainiacs attacks and fight (or help) several other DC characters ambitions in the ensuing poopy-storm as earths defenders are busy dealing with Brainiac.

The game isnt set in that future timeline in the trailer, if thats what you were hoping for.

How do i unsubscribe it says it will charge me again after 30days automatically but i cant find out how to turn that off as i don't want another 30 days.

If its for the PC go to www.soe.com, login and just cancel under the "subscriptions" section.

On PS3, not so sure. Check your Account Management section from the XMB, see if theres any subscriptions section there.

Found it in case anyone else needs it, it is in account management, transaction management, services list then choose DC Universe, subscription and cancel subscription.

Cheers. I want to decide on the day if I should re-subscribe, not forget and have it take the money. That would make me resent it and not play it. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Anybody still playing? I got it a couple of weeks ago. I'm at level 15 now. Has the GL "Fight For the Light" Expansion come out yet?

Advertisement