Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

have i balls it? high temp brewing

• 30-11-2010 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

*ballsed it?
    brewing my first cooper lager kit; started on friday. Put a brewer belt on it and left it over the weekend without checking.
    checked it yesterday (3days later) and temp was 34 degrees.
    I took off the belt and did another check this morning 26degree.
    im going to move it today to a colder place tp try get 20degrees.
    has 4 days of high temperature ruined it for me?
    is there a salvage job possible?
    barely any head but there seems to be gas production :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Know little about brewing, but just on the biology of it: yeast should survive in temperatures up to 40ºC, or 37º at any rate.

Could you take a sample, and give it some sugar to see if the yeast is still alive? You'll get carbon dioxide bubble if they haven't kicked the bucket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Well I think the yeast will be ok but I was reading that yeast at that temp produces stuff which makes the beer taste odd and that's what I'm worried about.

i now have on day 6 a reading of 1.005 from OG 1.065 which gives e 7.9%:eek:

Its cloudy and smells a bit "sore" vinegary and tastes a bit strange.
    Anyone got any advice?
    just continue to bottling is the plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭poitinstill

the reading is off because of the temp i'd say .. if its a kit and 1kg of other fermentables ( dry malt extract or some sugars) then you can t really get above 5% if even that high. ive never had a brew ( ale) go that high but have had it sit in a room at 26c. It came out ok..I think the coopers will be extra tolerant of heat as the ausies tend to have a bit of a heat issue and the yeast is specially designed for them... unless pure revolting bottle away...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

I'd say you've gotten some very wierd off-flavours in there at that temp - room temp is more typical, 17-24c is about right.
    The vinegary smell though is a bit more worrying, it's a sign of an infection, nothing to do with the temp. Did you taste it?

• Advertisement

kenmc wrote: »
    I'd say you've gotten some very wierd off-flavours in there at that temp - room temp is more typical, 17-24c is about right.
    The vinegary smell though is a bit more worrying, it's a sign of an infection, nothing to do with the temp. Did you taste it?
    yeah i taste it and bottled it yesterday. hard to say with the taste, im not used to the taste of warm flat beer but it didnt taste great. Its not a strong smell, only when close to the nose so i think its ok. we were very carefull not to get infection, gloves, spring water alot of sterilizing so i dont think its that.
    Probably just some strange flavours then i guess.
    Well nothing i can do now except wait and taste at the end.
    cheers guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MoBeer

Relax.
    Most beer kits use ale yeasts which can survive at high tempratures. Because of the higher temprature the beer can take a few more weeks for the flavour to level out. Give your beer at least 3 weeks before you taste it. Don't worry about the vinegary smell, i got that too when brewing a mexican larger and it turned out awesome.
    If your airlock was bubbling away then the yeast was doing it's work and didn't die.
    You could get a lot of head though :P. In the beer i mean. This would be down to the high temprature. Just leave the beer a few more weeks and all will be well.

cheers guys was drinking my first cold beer last week, a great experience. tasted really good to me and others, id buy it if i could :D
    slight banana taste alright but a nice one.
    I dont think it was anyway near 8% didnt even taste more than 4 tbh

Advertisement