Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cpu Fan/Co-processor prob, advice from hardcore techs needed

• 30-11-2010 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Ok. This is a bit of a long one but ill try and summarize it as best i can and give what i think is helpful info.

I have a HP pavillion dv6000 laptop, 3gb ram, 500gb hdd, and a 2.0ghz AMD turion dual core processor.

I recently changed the hdd from a 250gb to the 500gb and then installed windows 7. The installation went well, there was problems with the graphics at first (screen resolution was off) but after a few driver updates that was fine.

However since installing windows 7 one of the fans isn't working, i think its the heatsink fan(top right hand corner as you're looking at the bottom of the laptop) as the fan around the ram area seems to be working fine.
    Now the computer powers off randomly, but the thing is its usually not even hot when it powers off but.
    When i run a stress test such as prime 95 it will usually power off at around test 5.
    Then i get this error recovery message on startup:
    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 124
    BCP1: 00000000
    BCP2: 861948FC
    BCP3: 00000000
    BCP4: 00000000
    OS Version: 6_1_7600
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\113010-30778-01.dmp
    C:\Users\Luke\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-35303-0.sysdata.xml

Also in device manager in other devices i see this:
    Base system device
    base system device
    Co-processor
    Unknown Device

Each with a yellow triangle in front. When i choose to automatically update the driver it says there are no updates available.

When i go to coprocessor/properties/details/hardware ids i get:

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0543&SUBSYS_30CF103C&REV_A2
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0543&SUBSYS_30CF103C
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0543&CC_0B4000
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0543&CC_0B40

The same for base system device is:

PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0843&SUBSYS_30CF103C&REV_12
    PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0843&SUBSYS_30CF103C
    PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0843&CC_088000
    PCI\VEN_1180&DEV_0843&CC_0880

Oh and the fan wasnt working before i updated the drivers, but as far as im aware all i updated was the graphics driver.

I just gathered from hunting around on the googlemachine that this info may be at least semi-helpful. I know this is a big ask for help, but any little bit i get would be much appreciated as i am a broke ass student and really cant afford a laptop at the mo. Thanks for any advice, Luke.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jripper

Oh and the laptop doesn't really power off at all unless im playing music, watching a video online, so it seems to only be processor intensive things that turn it off. And i've tried the stress test on both battery and mains power, it turns off around test 5 for both. The battery is new, its a 12cell and last for about 8 hours when fully charged so i dont think its a power supply problem. Cheers

k, I'll just give this one lil bump...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

could be a build up of dust bunnies stopping the cpu fan, if you are adept at such things try and open it and blow it out
    have a look on youtube for opening your model of lappy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

These laptops are known to have some overheating/gpu issues.

I'd try flashing to the latest bios if you haven't already, you should find it handy enough on the HP website.

Give it a go and see if that fan kicks in again and get back to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Go to the HP support site and download all of the latest drivers available for your specific laptop model number (post the model number here too)
    There are a few under the dv6000 series as seen here:
    http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_lang=en&h_cc=us&cc=us&h_page=hpcom&lang=en&h_client=S-A-R163-1&h_pagetype=s-002&h_query=dv6000&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

Download Speedfan (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php) to monitor temp and fans.

Dont update the bios just yet as the laptop is unstable if it crashes when updating you might be in trouble.

Upload the dump file
    C:\Windows\Minidump\113010-30778-01.dmp
    or any later ones.

• Advertisement

The dump file is attached. Silly of me not to have thought of this yet, but im gonna stick the old hard drive back in and if the fan works its a driver issue for windows 7 and if not i guess its broken.

Thanks for the replies ppl. Ok so i put in the other hard drive and vista doesnt seem to be on it anymore.... but on the plus side i have an old hard drive to fiddle around with now. Also there are no drivers for the dv6000 for windows 7 os, vista & xp is the only available option on the hp site.
    I would like to try updating the bios as i have nothing to lose really, how would i go about doing that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

jripper wrote: »
    I would like to try updating the bios as i have nothing to lose really, how would i go about doing that?

There'll be instructions wherever you download the new BIOS. Normally you just run an installer program and reboot or else you copy stuff onto a boot CD and boot from that.

the current bios version on it is f.2f. the google machine tells me theres an f.3d and f.3e out there somewhere... ill report back when i find one and install it.

there is no bios for dv6000 for windows 7. it just says its not compatible with my os and stops the installation. im following some leads about modded bios but it doesnt look fruitful.

Update: after a brief online hunt i found an f.31 bios that someone had modded for windows 7. it installed fine and in msinfo32 it says bios version f.31 but the fan isnt working and the unknown devices are still in device manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Not sure if you have control over this in windows, or possibly in the bios so this may or may not be helpful to you as a source of troubleshooting. All I can say for certain is that you can do this in linux and I have seen it in older versions of windows but only with a tool that came from the manufacturer.

It should be possible to set your power profile to "powersave" or something similarly named. This should lock the CPU speed at it's lowest setting, effectively underclocking it. Mostly laptops have an "on demand" CPU governor. That is if the CPU is being used, the clock speed is rapidly ramped up from the baseline speed. In essence I'm suggesting that you disable this ramp up.

If you find that this has an effect on how well the machine behaves then it would be worth going further and attempting to force air from outside the laptop onto the CPU heatsink, then running prime to see if it causes / prevents a failure.

Also, maybe the fan is just broken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

One other suggestion: Try running a linux livecd and see if the fan turns on?

I have vista on my old hdd, so if i can start up vista and then ill know if its broken or not. Cant find the vista option on startup though, anyone know how to get to it?

Advertisement