Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best satnav to buy

Options
  • 30-11-2010 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

hi all im buying my father 1 of these for xmas.. budget will be about 150.

which would you recommend for that price and were will i buy it?
    preferably updated with latest ireland maps

thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You will get a decent Garmin or TomTom dor that price.
    Stick to those 2 brands is always my advice. Others just come & go & you may never get updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭joker@

Avoid Garmin,use TomTom i have few years expierience with both and few other different satnav systems.

Case from yesterday:
    Driving from Belgard road (Tallaght) to Clondalkin and then to airport.shows me to drive staright thru newland cross,straight to first lights then turn left to boot road (im not sure name) keeep going forward about 700m and go back no N7 and kepp gooing straight to Red cow (WTF?).

Another:Was looking for De selby drive in Jobstown/citywest NONE i found on book map, go there 15 years old estate (WTFx2??)Newest map for garmin I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dobh

Joker / I am not sure whether you still dislike the garmin or you now do like it. I am in the same boat - buying for 24yr old son - similar price range - but not sure which model / make to buy.

I would appreciate some advice . Tks.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭joker@

If you looking for TomTom try something from medium prices there is a lot of models so i cant tell excatly which,its will be your choice and money.Maps are same or similar but battery life,finish quality and few others thing are better in 'Xl" than in "One" models.Highest models are "Go" lowest,cheapest but not worst are "One".Your choice,read about extras and other differences between modelsin google.
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 13 LisaG

I'm looking at this one to buy TomTom XL IQ Routes Edition 2 with UK and ROI GPS Sat Nav. in argos for €143.99 but its Traffic ready via a RDS-TMS traffic receiver, not included.- what does this mean, do I need to buy the extra bit its another 60 euro.

Thanks

Lisa

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Yes. To be honest you would be better off getting the live device.
    A much better unit, the live services are better. I have yet to get any Tom Tom device working with TMC traffic in Dublin.

Advertisement