Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man kills Pit-bull to save child....opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

That man is a hero.

That dog should have been wearing a muzzle. It's death was directly related to that womans stupidity and negligence.

That woman is a stupid b***h and should be doing time, she nearly got a child killed and probably scarred him physically and mentally for life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

"lockjaw" a myth? Have heard else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

adser53 wrote: »
    Fair play to your man but its a sad story that a child was hurt and a dog killed because if the actions to 2 gob****es.

If you replace "Pitbull" in this sentiment with "Any dog they can't control" I'd agree with you. Breed is irrelevant. A big lab could pull them out on front of a car. A collie could bite them. A great dane could sit on them etc.

I wouldn't agree that breed is irrelevant.........and I don't mean that pit bulls are bad dogs.......but they are without doubt a dog that attracts bad owners. They are trophy dogs for scumbags who want to look tough. People who sit in the middle of the park drinking cans while the dog wanders about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

Why do people want a pitbull breed dog, if all they want is a house pet etc. These dogs have for a purpose, and going for little walks in the park is not it. If you want a fighting dog its a good choice

They need alot of training, more than other types of dogs to control their natural agression. If in doubt go down to the animal rescue and get a friendly old moggy for free. They cost alot less on vet bills too and prevent a dog being destroyed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

If this did happen why is it not on any news ? just floating around on Chat Forums ?

but yet a Women Shot PitBull to Save her dog was on CBS on the 19 June 2010.

Man Kill Neighbors pitbull after attacking him. 27 MAY 2010 Local News

but the more i look for this Story More and more others i am getting so this is telling me either way its fake.. Sorry lads but if this guy done this and its not on the News somethings up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Graces7 wrote: »

Can you please let us know where you have heard else, with the scientific evidence that shows that bull breeds are actually a different animal to other dogs, that their physical make up is different. Or is this the one that they have a chemical in their brain that releases and locks their jaws? Again, please can we have the scientific evidence. If this is so, then obviously the bull breeds should be removed from any control of dogs legislation, they are obviously a totally different species, and not dogs.
    Cork24 wrote: »
    If this did happen why is it not on any news ? just floating around on Chat Forums ?

but the more i look for this Story More and more others i am getting so this is telling me either way its fake.. Sorry lads but if this guy done this and its not on the News somethings up.

Have to say, this is why I haven't posted my opinions on it, as I don't believe its real.

I think your right, story is over the top. Military training does not include how to defend against dogs. You just shoot them etc. SF dont say their SF, they keep it secret because of their work.The padded clothing mentioned is used by dog trainers when training attack dogs.

but has started a good conversation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just to clarify, when people talk about "lockjaw", they talk about this myth that bull breeds have a specifically shaped skull & lower jaw, which when the dog wants to it can "lock" into place, making their mouth un-openable except without breaking the dog's jaw.

Such an anatomy does not exist, it is a myth. A departure from canine anatomy of that complexity would generally mean that the bull breeds are a different species and therefore incapable of breeding with other dogs.

It's no myth that bull breeds are capable of massive strength in their jaws and are extremely difficult to open when they "lock on", but otherwise distracting the dog (such as poking them in the eye like this guy describes) will cause them to release.
    Have to say, this is why I haven't posted my opinions on it, as I don't believe its real.
    +1
    Thinking about it last night, the more it didn't add up. People who post their stories as one-off thread starters tend to be making it up or have massively overstated what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Bill2673 wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree that breed is irrelevant.........and I don't mean that pit bulls are bad dogs.......but they are without doubt a dog that attracts bad owners. They are trophy dogs for scumbags who want to look tough. People who sit in the middle of the park drinking cans while the dog wanders about the place.
    This is true but what was said is this...
    Cork24 wrote:
    people are buying pit bulls not knowing their state of mind or what they can do. and alot of Children are walking pitbull their is no way a child should be walking a powerful dog they could easy break away from the child and attack another dog or child
    My problem with this post is that it implies Pitbulls are destined to attack no matter the circumstances which is not the case. 90% of dogs with bad reps are owned by good owners. The 10% that mistreat them, train them to be aggressive, want to look hard etc give the rest of them a bad name. So I think on a dogs level, breed is irrelevent. On an owners level, certain breeds attract these knackers.
    mbiking123 wrote: »
    Why do people want a pitbull breed dog, if all they want is a house pet etc. These dogs have for a purpose, and going for little walks in the park is not it. If you want a fighting dog its a good choice

They need alot of training, more than other types of dogs to control their natural agression. If in doubt go down to the animal rescue and get a friendly old moggy for free. They cost alot less on vet bills too and prevent a dog being destroyed
    Sorry but you're way off there. They are NOT naturally aggressive, no breed is. As for why anyone would want one, if you research the breeds that are under the Pitbull umbrella you'll see that. And you're arguement applies to hundreds of breeds. How many people use their dog for the reason they were bred for? Do you know many herding Rotties or GSD's? Ratting jack russels? Retrievers and spaniels used for retrieving or spanieling :rolleyes:? On your argument we should all just get crossbreeds

I recommend you read this thread....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055969502&highlight=people+pitbull

Sorry for going off-topic here, it just seems that everytime a Pitbull is even mentioned this old chestnut comes up again :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

Ah here we go again.

What is this 'natural aggression' that you speak of? "Pit-bulls" were bred to be strong, tenacious and totally trustworthy with humans. That is why they were ideal for fighting, not because of any inherent aggression problems. Any aggression in these breeds would typically be fostered by humans.

Where are you getting all of this from? My dog (a bull breed) loves going for walks in the park just like any other - she is a couch potato, our baby's best friend and an ideal house pet.
    ISDW wrote: »

Anyway back OT, I don't believe the story is real either. But if it is, the dog was attacking a child and the man stopped it which is an amazing and brave thing to do. If it was a full APBT, I would be amazed that he killed it with his bare hands, US "special operations veteran" or not.

• Advertisement

Sorry but you're way off there. They are NOT naturally aggressive, no breed is. As for why anyone would want one, if you research the breeds that are under the Pitbull umbrella you'll see that. And you're arguement applies to hundreds of breeds. How many people use their dog for the reason they were bred for? Do you know many herding Rotties or GSD's? Ratting jack russels? Retrievers and spaniels used for retrieving or spanieling ? On your argument we should all just get crossbreeds

Why do you want a pitbull, all dog breeds have aggression. People have aggression thats why we must control it - road rage etc etc

When a pitbull attacks it will do alot more damage than an old moggy. And pedigree dogs are being bred in puppy farms etc while a lot of old moggy's being destroyed. Save a dog go to animal rescue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Why do you want a pitbull, all dog breeds have aggression. People have aggression thats why we must control it - road rage etc etc
    Not getting your point here. "Why do you want a pitbull?". The answer is the same answer to the question of "Why do you want a jack russell?".
    When a pitbull attacks it will do alot more damage than an old moggy. And pedigree dogs are being bred in puppy farms etc while a lot of old moggy's being destroyed. Save a dog go to animal rescue
    MOst people consider moggy == cat, for reference :)

This thread has nothing to do with the issue of breeders -v- rescues. I don't know where you got that from. The rescues are bursting at the seams with bull breeds at the moment, Staffies in particular. So if people want a bull breed, I too would recommend they go to a shelter.

Again, don't really know what point you're trying to make in your above post.

Off topic: a litter of 8/9 staffie pups were born in the DSPCA over the weekend, if anyone's looking to get a staff pup after Xmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

Isn't a moggy a cat?

Anyway, while I agree with you re rescuing a dog, I don't think you can blame a whole breed for bad training. Unfortunatly, dog breeds with bad reputations, attract the wrong type of owners. In bad breeding you can also get genetic flaws that can cause dogs to snap in some of the more highly strung breeds. If you were to cross breed dogs these genetic flaws can still exist. So really no breed or mix of breed is 100% safe either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Off topic: a litter of 8/9 staffie pups were born in the DSPCA over the weekend, if anyone's looking to get a staff pup after Xmas

Ohhh.. tempting.

Gibbs could do with a playmate!! How many bitches?

Sorry but you're way off there. They are NOT naturally aggressive, no breed is. As for why anyone would want one, if you research the breeds that are under the Pitbull umbrella you'll see that. And you're arguement applies to hundreds of breeds. How many people use their dog for the reason they were bred for? Do you know many herding Rotties or GSD's? Ratting jack russels? Retrievers and spaniels used for retrieving or spanieling :rolleyes:? On your argument we should all just get crossbreeds

Sorry for going off-topic here, it just seems that everytime a Pitbull is even mentioned this old chestnut comes up again :mad:[/QUOTE]

I have. 2 house dogs and 3 working dog 2 spainels and are great retrievers one can pick out anything in the bush the other fella I use for cover going in and out as the other one is not. Great in cover but can smell them out no problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I think you have been mislead.

Didn't we have a thread a few years ago where a boardsie claimed something similar happened to him?

EDIT: Can't find it - did I imagine it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭thebullkf

really???- so if its not newsworthy/not reported it didn't happen?
    ISDW wrote: »

do you only give your opinions on 'real' events,what about hypotheticals:confused:

I think your right, story is over the top. Military training does not include how to defend against dogs. You just shoot them etc. SF dont say their SF, they keep it secret because of their work.The padded clothing mentioned is used by dog trainers when training attack dogs.

but has started a good conversation

and you know this for a fact because... ?

seamus wrote: »
    +1
    Thinking about it last night, the more it didn't add up. People who post their stories as one-off thread starters tend to be making it up or have massively overstated what happened.

quite possibly overstated.-secondhand account.

i'm not really bothered about the validity of the story to much tbh.I'm more concerned with people's attitudes towardsPit-bull's in general {both here and in the states}
    A friend has had pitbull's since we were kids, lovely dogs- when they're yours.The problem i have with such powerful dogs is the damage they cause if they do attack.(rightly or wrongly)

i just thought it was interesting to read comments from across the ocean.indeed the story's validity was questioned directly and indirectly to the OP...after 1,800 comments and the OP is still replying i think its safe to say the spine if not all of the story is true,ultimately the more damage any animal can do should be reflected in the amount of professional training required.

'Toy' breeds can be easily dealt with,as can Bichon Frieze et al...
    not so for bigger breeds,collie,Lab,PB,Boxer,Wolfhound etc.

just my two cents:)

Whispered wrote: »
    I think you have been mislead.

Didn't we have a thread a few years ago where a boardsie claimed something similar happened to him?

EDIT: Can't find it - did I imagine it?

tis indeed a myth..

http://www.dogwatch.net/myths/lock_jaw.html

one of many links...

EDIT:. another. http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/343710/pitbull_myths_cloud_truth_about_breed_pg2.html?cat=53

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

liah wrote: »
    Guess this means there'll be a new wave of pitbull hate.

He did what he had to do and I respect him for it. I just feel bad that this kind of thing will give justification to the anti-pitbull argument that ignorant people constantly put forth.

The owner is seriously, seriously lucky they're not being taken to court. Idiot. :mad:

I dont think its anything to do with pitbull hate, if it was a labrador or even a king charles that was attacking a child, the correct thing to do is take any form of action to stop it. Unfortunate that the dog died, it may have had a different life with another, responsible owner, but that wasn't the case here.

thebullkf wrote: »
    i'm not really bothered about the validity of the story to much tbh.I'm more concerned with people's attitudes towardsPit-bull's in general {both here and in the states}
    adser53 wrote: »

Seriously, if you haven't done so already read that thread ^^^ Good discussion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭Aseth

In the stories like this one what annoys me the most is people keeping dogs they can't control!
    If you can't control or/and are not a suitable owner for a strong breed like this(psychically not physically) then you should not buy a dog like that. Buy yourself a yorkie or a basset or better yet a gold fish.
    As for muzzles I currently live in Czech Rep and people here are incredible with handling their dogs - anything slightly bigger than a westie has a muzzle and is always on a leash, never let to wonder all alone. Pitbull will be kept short next to an owner, with a muzzle and never let to run around plus it looks like the dogs here are all well trained and behaved. Haven't seen a single trouble with a dog and I'm here for year and a half already.

DBCyc wrote: »
    Seriously, if you haven't done so already read that thread ^^^ Good discussion

i got as far as page 3 and found the OP's lack of knowledge/ignorance being lambasted and being accused of trolling... too much sel defence for my liking.

thanks for the link though;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Bendihorse wrote: »
    I dont think its anything to do with pitbull hate, if it was a labrador or even a king charles that was attacking a child, the correct thing to do is take any form of action to stop it. Unfortunate that the dog died, it may have had a different life with another, responsible owner, but that wasn't the case here.

I never said what he did to the animal had anything to do with pitbull hate, like I said in the post you quoted he did what he had to do and I respect him for it.

If it wasn't clear, what I was saying was that it's sad that many ignorant people will use this as ammo to tar pitbulls as "bad" instead of the irresponsible owners, and that seriously depresses me. They're amazing dogs.

So you think it happened. Number 1 some story like this would be on news man. save child for fu%%k sake if they report a women shooting a dog then I would think they would report. That

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Pit bulls should not be allowed in domestic homes.

I know 99% of them are loveable things that never do anything wrong, but that 1% is what can kill people, especially small kids.

If you drive a car, you are forced by the law to wear a seatbelt so that in the 1% chance that you have a crash, you don;t go through the window. SHould be the same with these dogs. No domestic keeping of them. Anywhere. Ever. No exceptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

sdonn wrote: »

I know 99% of them are loveable things that never do anything wrong, but that 1% is what can kill people, especially small kids.

If you drive a car, you are forced by the law to wear a seatbelt so that in the 1% chance that you have a crash, you don;t go through the window. SHould be the same with these dogs. No domestic keeping of them. Anywhere. Ever. No exceptions.

I think you mean "dogs in general" if you want your post to be in any way consistent.

You have that 1% with any breed of dog, not just pitbulls.

sdonn wrote: »

Yes lets ban knives, matches, glass, cleaning products, medicine and any other things that may hurt the poor children. No exceptions

So you think it happened. Number 1 some story like this would be on news man. save child for fu%%k sake if they report a women shooting a dog then I would think they would report. That

i think there's an element of truth. yes.

just because it was posted the other day,doesn't mean it happened the other day..

where do you live?

there are millions of reports every year... to say that because it wasn't on the news = story untrue is ridiculous imo.

anyway truth is irrelevant for debate purposes.

if it were true..? what then?

DBCyc wrote: »
    Yes lets ban knives, matches, glass, cleaning products, medicine and any other things that may hurt the poor children. No exceptions

they're incomparable. i think you know this.

though i think to say PB's should be banned from homes is equally ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Honestly though - does anybody else remember a thread with a similar story here on boards?

It's annoying me that I can't find it when I'm 99% sure I remember it.

Advertisement