Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC without television

• 30-11-2010 5:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

On the UPC website it says if I order UPC broadband without a television package, that I have to pay an extra €7.75 a month. That's grand, but I'm a little confused about something.

If the broadband runs off the cable, will the analogue tv in my house be reconnected? If so, does that mean that I'll have to pay for UPC's analogue TV package, at €25 a month on top of the broadband price and the €7.75? Or is the €7.75 a reduced charge for analogue TV, based on the fact that I'd be buying broadband?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Example without TV package.Broadband only

Broadband (eg 50 euro) plus extra charge (eg 7.50)= Total 57.50 euro.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

Kev. wrote: »
    Hope this helps

Not really, think you misunderstood what I as asking :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

the 7 euro is a sur charge for not taking out the 25 quid tv package. if you want the tv, you dont need to pay the 7 euro charge, just 25 on top of bb. if you dont want tv, its 7 euro on top of bb and you only get bb, no tv. simple.

Ps. i had this in my last place and if you have the correct splitters and cables yourself you can still get tv, as upc cant switch it off coming into your house if you have bb, they just dont connect your tv up!!!!

funkyjebus wrote: »
    the 7 euro is a sur charge for not taking out the 25 quid tv package. if you want the tv, you dont need to pay the 7 euro charge, just 25 on top of bb. if you dont want tv, its 7 euro on top of bb and you only bb. simple.

But I thought the broadband runs off the tv's cable? How does the broadband work without having the analogue tv connected?

It does.if you dont know, you probably dont need to know, just know that it does.

• Advertisement

It does.if you dont know, you probably dont need to know, just know that it does.

Ok, I'll take your word :D In a purely hypothetical situation, if the television was already connected without UPC's knowledge, and you ordered UPC broadband without the TV package. Would they come out to install the broadband, and see the illegal television connection and replace it with just a broadband one?

Not suggesting anything, just curious how this works :L

P.S: I thought this was a grey area, but if the post breaks the forum rules then I apologize ;)

hypothetical, i love it. probably, depends on how it hooked without them knowing, is it outside at the junction or is the upc in the house but hooked up in more than one room?

is it outside at the junction or is the upc in the house but hooked up in more than one room?

Outside at the junction :o

yes. but they hook it back up again for the bb. they might change the sockets inside so it not so easy to just split with a regular cable, but only in the room with the bb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Telchak wrote: »
    In a purely hypothetical situation, if the television was already connected without UPC's knowledge, and you ordered UPC broadband without the TV package. Would they come out to install the broadband, and see the illegal television connection and replace it with just a broadband one?

Yes, they would see what you'd be doing, and would possibly disconnect you and refuse to supply any further services. Also, they could issue legal proceedings against you due to the suspicion of theft of service. You might need to involve a solicitor to defend your position if this were the case.

If a cable is connected, for a service that you don't pay for, disconnect it before doing anything with the service provider.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that (: I was honestly just curious. I've heard of people who connect the tv illegally and was wondering if it was a false economy thinking you're getting free tv, but then having to pick an alternative, more expensive internet provider :rolleyes:

Advertisement