Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is most of Ireland so inept at dealing with snow?

• 30-11-2010 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭

When I first moved to Ireland I was greatly amused during my first winter watching entire cities shut down and no one knowing what to do with themselves after one or two inches' worth of snowfall. Coming from the Great White North myself, I didn't quite get it-- in my town we regularly dealt with 2-3ft of snow during the winter and even the tiniest towns still functioned perfectly, excluding a day off from school (though that was reserved for seriously bad blizzardy weather, just snow alone never stopped it :().

I remember last year Dublin was completely jammed and basically shut down for hours because no one could get around with the traffic, accidents, abandoned cars, etc, not to mention how many people were left without water for over a month in some places. Even now, this year, after what appears to be a only a few inches (from pics I've seen as I'm no longer there) people are abandoning their cars on the side of the road! :pac:

I don't get it, this is three years in a row where there's been at least 2-3 inches on the ground. I'm assuming it's happened many a time before. Why is Ireland still so inept at dealing with it?

I reckon a few people would make a fortune if they decided to add a snowplow to the front of their vehicles, bought a couple bags of salt and offered to do small roads and long driveways for a fee.

But seriously, why aren't there enough ploughs and salt put out and why aren't people using winter tires? Loads of other countries cope fine with much worse weather.

Someone explain? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

I can't explain cos I don't understand it either. Seriously, any time I've got the bus in the last few days I've been saying novenas to St. Christopher (I'm religious in crises! :pac:) in the hopes they show up. Have had to wait over an hour on a few occasions for buses that are due when I'm waiting. Drives me nuts.

ETA: Also, the f.uckers aren't turning on the heating on the bus either. I was on a bus the other day where the inside of the windows were freezing over. That's OT but I'm on a roll now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

nobody has winter tyres
    most people don't know how to drive properly on snow / ice / slush
    most people don't care enough to clear the footpaths in front of their house / workplace
    we have no really heavy clearing equipment, ploughs and such as the few few days / weeks a year of snow does not justify them, especially considering some winters we don't get any snow.

basically its not a common occurance so we are not equipped to deal with it and it is cost prohibitive to invest in proper materials and infrastructure to deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Because we get hardly any. So in the last few years we got a few cms, we may get none for the next ten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

liah wrote: »

It's one of those inexplicable mysteries. An inch of slushy snow AHHHHHHH!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

We're not used to such bad weather, I can count on one hand the times I remembering it snowing in the last ten years. If we had weather like this every year it would be a different story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If the county councils spent millions on machinery and depots for salt/grit we'd have more cribbing about the waste of money if it doesn't snow

Anyway, what's happened this year and the last few years mightn't be repeated for a decade or more. Nobody knows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

nobody has winter tyres

Untrue.

/cackles and drives off merrily

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Because ye get much worse weather for much longer hence ye would be better equipped for it. Here we get a few icy/snowy days a year if it's bad and it can happen anytime between October and February. Also, getting special tyres for a week or two a year is a bit of a waste of money especially when you'd probably buy wheels for it as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I don't get it, this is three years in a row where there's been at least 2-3 inches on the ground. I'm assuming it's happened many a time before. Why is Ireland still so inept at dealing with it?

Along with our 'economics', lack of proper town planning and excuse for a political class, its part of our rough charm.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Nodin wrote: »
    Along with our 'economics', lack of proper town planning and excuse for a political class, its part of our rough charm.

Why do people need to bring the economy into everything. It's got nothing to do with the economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

Probably because we like snow days. Also other than last year we have had very mild winters recently, equipping ourselves would be too much hassle compared to the benefit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

When I first moved to Ireland I was greatly amused during my first winter watching entire cities shut down and no one knowing what to do with themselves after one or two inches' worth of snowfall. Coming from the Great White North myself, I didn't quite get it-- in my town we regularly dealt with 2-3ft of snow during the winter and even the tiniest towns still functioned perfectly, excluding a day off from school (though that was reserved for seriously bad blizzardy weather, just snow alone never stopped it :().

I remember last year Dublin was completely jammed and basically shut down for hours because no one could get around with the traffic, accidents, abandoned cars, etc, not to mention how many people were left without water for over a month in some places. Even now, this year, after what appears to be a only a few inches (from pics I've seen as I'm no longer there) people are abandoning their cars on the side of the road! :pac:

I reckon a few people would make a fortune if they decided to add a snowplow to the front of their vehicles, bought a couple bags of salt and offered to do small roads and long driveways for a fee.

But seriously, why aren't there enough ploughs and salt put out and why aren't people using winter tires? Loads of other countries cope fine with much worse weather.

Eh, probably because we never get this type of weather - kinda obvious, no? The last time we had weather like this was last year - the time before that was 1982.
    And why would I invest in winter tyres? The snow & ice will probably be gone in 2 weeks.

And why would I invest in winter tyres? The snow & ice will probably be gone in 2 weeks and it's only ever happeend once before.

It depends where you live I suppose, but winter tyres don't lose their value if they are unused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

This isint Scandinavia, we dont get snow all that often. It'd hardly be worth while getting snow ploughs etc. I dont see how a snow plough would pay for itself working 2 weeks a year. Similar to the buses etc, theres no point in getting specific tyres for the snow when its this rare, it would cost a fortune

The infrastructure isint designed for these conditions simply because its rare over here, and as you may have heard over the last week or so the state cant afford a pot to piss in, let alone to prepare the country for the 2 weeks of annual snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I don't know why but I bet it's something to do with the English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Everyone needs a WeissSock!

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I don't know why but I bet it's something to do with the English.

We need a good argument to keep us warm. Attaboy, AnonoBoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

How would your town cope with kind of wet sometimes dry but mostly damp with some sunny spells weather, year round? HOW??????

Where would you stick your snow plough there?

You Scandinavians sicken me with your 'Blizzard Spirit' and your indominatable resourcefulness!

Get back to your log cabin and Sauna, Hans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Call Mr. Plow,
    That's my name.
    That name again is Mr. Plow.
    Klondike-5-3226

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I suppose you Canadians have to find something to be able to brag about :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

The standard of snowmen is pretty crap also. And I haven't seen 1 single igloo.

The OP wrote:
    Coming from the Great White North myself
    You Scandinavians sicken me.

:confused: Isn't The Great White North Canada?

Why do people need to bring the economy into everything. It's got nothing to do with the economy.

Its a mess.....? reaction to snow is a mess.....? I'd suggest cooling the jets.

How would your town cope with kind of wet sometimes dry but mostly damp with some sunny spells weather, year round? HOW??????

You Scandinavians sicken me with your 'Blizzard Spirit' and your indominatable resourcefulness!

I think its Gretel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Also, getting special tyres for a week or two a year is a bit of a waste of money especially when you'd probably buy wheels for it as well.

Winter tyres are not just for snow, they're for snow, ice, frost, wet roads and dry roads. Most effective when road temps fall below 7C, which they have been under since the start of the month and will probably remain under until February/March - discussion ongoing in the Motors forum about this :) As far as winter tyres go - I've call 3 big chains today (Atlas, Kwikfit and FastFit) - all 3 of them told me their suppliers don't stock winter tyres because there's little to no demand for them. Even now they were warding me off with "When the snow goes in a week you'll be sorry, get all-weather tyres instead".

We don't get more ploughs because they'd sit idle for 90% of the time, their cost-benefit ratio is too far off to make it worthwhile. We are broke - there's not even going to be a budget increase for road treatment in Dublin, and they're already over-budget as is :rolleyes:

So we're not experienced at driving in the snow, no surprise there. Irish driving standards are poor on the sunny days, they're only worse in the snow and ice. There's no way we can get experienced when it comes and goes for one week at a time, and even then we are talking about extreme weather conditions for Ireland here. I wonder how'd the Great White North fare with a 45C heatwave. You'd have all the Greeks saying "How can you not handle this? We get this weather every other year and look at us".

When you're outside the realms of normal, shít happens :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Same way we do in the summer when it can rain/thunderstorm for a month straight. We just keep on truckin'.

I'm also not Scandinavian, my Great White North is Canada.

Ireland gets seriously icey in the winter because it is in fact so wet, regardless of the expense of everything else salt would appear to be vital imho. Salt would get rid of the ice and the snow and provide traction.

Seems far more efficient to put money into salting roads and sidewalks than to lose days worth of money coming in because people can't get to work.

EDIT: Also, TouchingVirus, in my part of Canada it can regularly go up to 35c+ in the summer not including humidity factor. Humid heat is much more unbearable than the dry heat they would get in Greece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

This whole rubbish about "we don't get enough of it to make it worthwhile" is a crazyass excuse.

It's not like we're talking nuclear powered snow ploughs or anything. All that is needed is a blade to stick on the front of trucks.

The same trucks that drive around with some poor bloke stood on the back with a shovel and a pile of grit. I saw one a few weeks back heading out the Rock Road. I thought that sort of process had been left behind in the 1970s.

Send one of though up and down the various trunk roads early in the morning push the snow to the side, spit some gravel out the back and away you go. You get a pile of snow on the side of the road, but big deal . . . it's going to melt. The main thing is that the roads are clear and commerce can go on as normal.

How much money is wasted/lost because people can't get to work, can't get to pre-booked events, can't get to meetings, etc . . . because the roads aren't cleared ? Now, weigh this up against the cost of provisioning snow plough blades to the heavy vehicles that local authorities already have.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭colc1

I notice everyone on this thread nearly is commenting on the financial side of things....thats what wrong with this country we're not prepared to spend any money on the actual important things like health (aside from consultants in particular and some others getting paid too much) and the protection of our citizens, e.g. in these dangerous conditions and yet we'll waste it/spend more than is necessary on unimportant things.... Its a joke really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    We're not used to such bad weather, I can count on one hand the times I remembering it snowing in the last ten years. If we had weather like this every year it would be a different story.

The thing is, it's not that bad, it's a couple cms of snow. To deal with it all you have to do is slow down while driving and walk slowly while walking.

• Advertisement

:confused: Isn't The Great White North Canada?

It's all the same, I don't differentiate between any of those seal clobberers. Sure isn't Canada just America's hat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

Started snowing here and within 10 minutes we have a truck going around scraping and salting the roads. That said it snows here heavily enough every winter so they always prepared :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Who snows, its a mystery:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭aero2k

Yeah, I had a few work trips to Switzerland and saw what it's like in a country where they prepare for the snow - snow 6ft deep at the edge of the footpaths where it's been ploughed - and clear roads! No fear driving either, our rental car with winter tyres had no trouble on the hills.
    Well, to my memory it's only two years in a row it's been this bad, last time before that was late '81/early 82. One of the problems is that it's not a regular occurrence, and that it's only for a week or two duration, so the capital investment for snow ploughs, not to mention trained drivers with all the health and safety regulations, would be prohibitive. And anyway, in case you didn't hear, the Irish taxpayer is busy bailing out German, French and UK banks, so we haven't got enough left to buy a bag of salt, let alone a snowplough.
    This is Ireland. You'd end up getting sued if you missed a tiny bit and someone fell or crashed.
    But seriously, why aren't there enough ploughs and salt put out and why aren't people using winter tires?
    That would require a sense of personal responsibility.:rolleyes: Remember this is a country where after a major motorway pile-up people were on the radio and in the papers complaining that the Automobile Association hadn't told them there was fog in certain areas. FFS! I bet they weren't even members...

Oh, just noticed this is AH and I've given a serious answer, so

Mary Harney / yore ma!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

we like a challenge! :cool:

BKtje wrote: »
    Started snowing here and within 10 minutes we have a truck going around scraping and salting the roads. That said it snows here heavily enough every winter so they always prepared :)

That'd be fascinating if we knew where you were.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Well aren't you feckin' great?

syklops wrote: »
    Well aren't you feckin' great?

I wasn't trying to rub it in! It amuses me, yes, but I don't think I'm better because of it. Was just askin'!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Overall we are coping well, the vast majority of roads are gritted well and while there has been some disruption to public transport it is mostly moving along quite smoothly. This type of weather is a rare occurance for this country. I can count on one hand the number of years where we received serious snow fall with last year probably being the worst in my lifetime and that of my parents. It would not be prudent to have excessive preparation for rare weather occurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sue_

I heard on the radio this morning that south Dublin county council had 7 snowploughs on the road clearing them, and AA roadwatch website says there is a snowplough clearing road between Athleague and Roscommon and Roscommon and Athlone. Unfortunately Westmeath County Council don't have 1, forgot to grit anywhere last night and half the main roads were impassable this morning due to jackknifed trucks or trucks stuck on hills. And in the middle of that some MANIAC overtook me this morn. Some people shouldnt be allowed on the roads,

I wasn't trying to rub it in! It amuses me, yes, but I don't think I'm better because of it. Was just askin'!

No point denying it. The 'Canada Uber Alles' attitude is notorious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

We are crap at dealing with snow for the same reason an Eskimo is crap at building sand-castles, and an arab probably doesnt have an umbrella and wellies handy.

Nodin wrote: »
    No point denying it. The 'Canada Uber Alles' attitude is notorious.

I really can't deny it now that you've added the "Uber Alles" bit considering I'm Canadian with a German surname living in Germany.. :o

Touche.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

In times like these we should use more public transport....

Mrmoe wrote: »
    Overall we are coping well, the vast majority of roads are gritted well and while there has been some disruption to public transport it is mostly moving along quite smoothly. This type of weather is a rare occurance for this country. I can count on one hand the number of years where we received serious snow fall with last year probably being the worst in my lifetime and that of my parents. It would not be prudent to have excessive preparation for rare weather occurance.

No, 1982 was the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Its around 8 inches up with us,and we get on grand.

It was worse last year,and nothing was said about the snow until it hit Dublin around 2-3 weeks after we had it. And to get to anywhere up here you always have to go up a fecking hill!

We have always managed,yes schools may be closed but that is because of the lack of grit on the many back roads we have in Donegal and the safety concerns for the buses full of children.

Its never got to the stage were we stockpile food and sit in the hall behind an up-turned table with a loaded shotgun!

And loads up here have snow tires,mainly the taxi drivers,so now you can get anywhere no problem

darragh16 wrote: »
    In times like these we should use more public transport....

We need.........THE ICE ROAD TRUCKERS!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I really can't deny it now that you've added the "Uber Alles" bit considering I'm Canadian with a German surname living in Germany.. :o

Touche.

But..But... you were here at some stage, right? :(

But..But... you were here at some stage, right? :(

From Sep 1st '08 to July 12th '10, yep. Just short of two years.

We need.........THE ICE ROAD TRUCKERS!!!!!!

Buy that man a drink.

It's an underrated programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

nobody has winter tyres
    most people don't know how to drive properly on snow / ice / slush
    most people don't care enough to clear the footpaths in front of their house / workplace
    we have no really heavy clearing equipment, ploughs and such as the few few days / weeks a year of snow does not justify them, especially considering some winters we don't get any snow.

basically its not a common occurance so we are not equipped to deal with it and it is cost prohibitive to invest in proper materials and infrastructure to deal with it.

Actually I NEVER clean the front of my place or my workplace. I used to but then the council told me that if a pedestrian walks by the front of my store and slips, they can sue me because I put salt/grit on the footpath. If I had let it be they can't sue me. Sucks, especially when the council either don't care enough to do a good job or don't have the resources.

• Advertisement
Advertisement