Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is most of Ireland so inept at dealing with snow?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Quick answer- Take one look at who our minister for transport is.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Luxie

Nodin wrote: »
    No, 1982 was the worst.

Definitely. Had the week off school that year and prior to that had only ever seen proper snow on d'telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭GeeNorm

It doesn't snow in Ireland. Growing up my little sister (born '86) would often spot a photo from the family album of the rest of us playing in snow. She was jealous because she had basically never seen any.

I plan on waiting another week before the snow clears and I can get into town to buy decent snow boots. They'll then go into the attic for me to laugh at every year when I bring the christmas decorations down in balmy 6 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

aero2k wrote: »
    This is Ireland. You'd end up getting sued if you missed a tiny bit and someone fell or crashed.
    just after listening to one of those personal injury solicitors on the radio there.
    • you are completely liable if someone falls on your property
    • you also assume liability if you grit the footpath outside your front gate, even though it should be the responsibility of the county council.
    • if people become used to you applying grit as a "goodwill" gesture, and then you don't, you are deemed liable as well
    • if the mix of sand and salt you use isn't correct(?) and it is found to be the cause of someone falling, you are liable (if they prove it was you who put it there)
    no way to win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

as anyone who has lived on this island for an extended period (10+ years) will tell you, snow and ice are extremely rare, temperatures below -10c are very rare, large snowfalls happen once every 30 years, not realistic comparing ireland to canada where large parts become basically a giant icebox from december to end of february every year

same in england, a few cms of snow there shuts down the country too

i suppose you could say "why doesn't ireland/england have the tools to deal with it just in case", well someone else would say "why didn't new orleans deal with katrina properly, it was a hurricane prone area afterall"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Skinfull wrote: »
    Actually I NEVER clean the front of my place or my workplace. I used to but then the council told me that if a pedestrian walks by the front of my store and slips, they can sue me because I put salt/grit on the footpath. If I had let it be they can't sue me. Sucks, especially when the council either don't care enough to do a good job or don't have the resources.

I always thought that was a myth. Is it something to do with "Duty of Care" or some such Health and safety Bollocks?

Edit:- Just saw ciagr297's post. Madness

Nate

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

GeeNorm wrote: »
    It doesn't snow in Ireland. Growing up my little sister (born '86) would often spot a photo from the family album of the rest of us playing in snow. She was jealous because she had basically never seen any.

I plan on waiting another week before the snow clears and I can get into town to buy decent snow boots. They'll then go into the attic for me to laugh at every year when I bring the christmas decorations down in balmy 6 degrees.

I was born in 86 as well and I've seen a good bit of snow when I was growing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

liah wrote: »
    From Sep 1st '08 to July 12th '10, yep. Just short of two years.

Good, I don't like outsiders *narrows eyes* :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Haha, what a cheesey video :pac:

Canada and rap just don't seem like an effective combo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I was born in 86 as well and I've seen a good bit of snow when I was growing up.

'86 baby here too, and I remember the snow quite well from my years.

In 1999/2000 or 2001 there was snow for a week in the midlands. Made igloos and had snowfights and a ropey as f*ck journey to Dublin to collect my cousins and bring them down for a visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

In the 90's I remember getting off school/out early due to snow a number of times. It's not as rare as some are making out that we get an inch or two of snow, which is basically all that is needed to bamboozle a lot of people.

Jon "Show me your genitals" LaJoie would disagree. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

I cannot believe people are defending our weather prevention services.

Remember the flooding? It has been raining here since records began and we still aren't properly equipped with flooding facilities.

Just because it doesn't snow often doesn't mean we can't have something to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

No, 1982 was the worst.

:confused:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0302/1224265431083.html
    Low of -16 degrees recorded in coldest winter for 47 years

RONAN McGREEVY

IT WAS the coldest winter in living memory for most people living in Ireland.

The winter just past proved to be the coldest since 1962/1963. It was marked by snow and ice which lasted from the middle of December to the middle of January.

Between January 7th and 9th, temperatures fell below -10 degrees at night in most places.

The lowest temperature of the winter occurred at Mount Juliet in Co Kilkenny, where -16.3 degrees was recorded on January 7th.

Temperatures at Shannon airport were on average 2.7 degrees below normal for the winter and at Casement Aerodrome it was 2.6 degrees below normal.

There was a total of between 70 and 80 ground frosts during the season at inland stations, while Valentia Observatory’s total of 62 ground frosts was almost three times its average for the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

'86 baby here too, and I remember the snow quite well from my years.

In 1999/2000 or 2001 there was snow for a week in the midlands. Made igloos and had snowfights and a ropey as f*ck journey to Dublin to collect my cousins and bring them down for a visit.

Yeah, I remember that feeling you get when you're listening to the radio to see if the schools are closed. The screams of joy when you hear they are. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

I cannot believe people are defending our weather prevention services.

Remember the flooding? It has been raining here since records began and we still aren't properly equipped with flooding facilities.

Just because it doesn't snow often doesn't mean we can have something to deal with it.

Exactly. How many houses were built on a flood plain here because of a lack of foresight?

The reaction to last year's snow was a travesty. The fact that a bit of bad weather is enough to bring a capital city to a halt (I could understand a bit more in some rural areas where the terrain is more difficult to drive over) is bloody embarrassing.

Mrmoe wrote: »

Nah, the snowstorms of 1947 are where it's at (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_of_1946%E2%80%931947_in_the_United_Kingdom). Everytime we get a bit of cold weather my dad always yaps on about how this is nothing and how it was so much worse in 1947. Thing is he was only born in 1947 so it's not like he remembers it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

1947 was a bad year for snow in North Connaught. got to any newspaper archive and look up papers from 47 or the 50th aniversary of it in 1977. Some of the pictures are unbelievable. 10ft and 12ft of snow on streets.

Nah, the snowstorms of 1947 are where it's at (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_of_1946%E2%80%931947_in_the_United_Kingdom). Everytime we get a bit of cold weather my dad always yaps on about how this is nothing and how it was so much worse in 1947. Thing is he was only born in 1947 so it's not like he remembers it. :D

You notice the snow more when you're sharing a pair of shoes with seven other siblings and walking the five miles to school in the snow. Even as a baby. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Millicent wrote: »
    You notice the snow more when you're sharing a pair of shoes with seven other siblings and walking the five miles to school in the snow. Even as a baby. :pac:

We all walked on our hands to save the shoeleather.

Snakeblood wrote: »
    We all walked on our hands to save the shoeleather.

Hahaha! And you weren't allowed a pair of gloves either. You got one glove and you alternated which hand it went on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Haha, what a cheesey video :pac:

Don't say that until you've heard a rapped called Abdominal on DJ Format's albums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Mrmoe wrote: »

....82 for snowfall, afaik. That would be within my memory, anyhoo.
    This is the kind of thing that went on....
    http://thethirstygargoyle.blogspot.com/2008/01/big-snow-of-82.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 chapel976

I don't get it, this is three years in a row where there's been at least 2-3 inches on the ground. I'm assuming it's happened many a time before. Why is Ireland still so inept at dealing with it?
    Too cheap to buy snow tires from what I heard.

Of course, such an early snow would have even caught me off guard... and I'm a former ice racer.

my car is still on it's summer radials.

I never understood why people who get snow and ice (ice in particular) wouldn't invest in a good set of snow and ice tires... if it gets cold enough that the roads freeze GET WINTER RADIALS!

at least my S6 has a Differential Lock if it does snow with my summers on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭FF and proud

When I first moved to Ireland I was greatly amused during my first winter watching entire cities shut down and no one knowing what to do with themselves after one or two inches' worth of snowfall. Coming from the Great White North myself, I didn't quite get it-- in my town we regularly dealt with 2-3ft of snow during the winter and even the tiniest towns still functioned perfectly, excluding a day off from school (though that was reserved for seriously bad blizzardy weather, just snow alone never stopped it :().

I remember last year Dublin was completely jammed and basically shut down for hours because no one could get around with the traffic, accidents, abandoned cars, etc, not to mention how many people were left without water for over a month in some places. Even now, this year, after what appears to be a only a few inches (from pics I've seen as I'm no longer there) people are abandoning their cars on the side of the road! :pac:

I don't get it, this is three years in a row where there's been at least 2-3 inches on the ground. I'm assuming it's happened many a time before. Why is Ireland still so inept at dealing with it?

I reckon a few people would make a fortune if they decided to add a snowplow to the front of their vehicles, bought a couple bags of salt and offered to do small roads and long driveways for a fee.

But seriously, why aren't there enough ploughs and salt put out and why aren't people using winter tires? Loads of other countries cope fine with much worse weather.

Someone explain? :confused:

Ah sure tis shockin stuff, sure the backroads are impassible and the potholes invisible in this weather. I cant even go down to the village to buy a bit of bread and milk. More grit needed I would say,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

When I first moved to Ireland I was greatly amused during my first winter watching entire cities shut down and no one knowing what to do with themselves after one or two inches' worth of snowfall. Coming from the Great White North myself, I didn't quite get it-- in my town we regularly dealt with 2-3ft of snow during the winter
    There's your answer. The vast, vast majority of Irish winters are moderate, relatively mild, and there is generally no requirement for severe weather provisions. The previous winter to rival last year's conditions (and while that was severe for here, it was but a minor inconvenience compared to winters in some parts of the world) was 1981/82. It's very rare for it to snow in Ireland - there will be some nearly every year, but not much of it, and for a few days tops.
    Tbh, not having a go at anyone, but I really don't understand the puzzlement at it being treated as a bit of a novelty here. At the same time, it is funny the way some people go on as if it's on a par with outer-most Siberia. :pac:
    But it does make the roads dangerous and we're not equipped for that due to the lack of a pressing need - in the same way every time there's a heatwave (maximum 30 degrees celsius, lasting a few weeks - takes place every few years) here, people are passing out at work - no air con in the building as it's not considered worth investing in.

I don't know whether it's us being drama llamas as opposed to because we have a really dull, bland climate most of the time, whatever the season. If a person who constantly eats plain food gets an exotic curry once in a blue moon, they're likely to make a bit of an ordeal about it. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

because we haven't had proper snow for 20 years really - had a wee bit in the past 2-3 years that lasts usually for 2-3 days maybe

last year was the exception to the rule that it lasted for 2-3 weeks - we're hardly going to go out and buy a fleet of snow ploughs for our couple snow days in the year - maybe if this trend of a few weeks snow every year starts to pick up we could think about it but I doubt the government were going to blow a few million some time this year just in case it happened again this winter :rolleyes: can you imagine the giving out if it didn't snow this year..

the simple answer is - we hardly get snow so it's a shock to our system when it comes and it's just for too expensive to try to be able to deal with it effectively so our half arsed attempt for the few snow days gets us away with it usually...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

the chief reason is that we don't get alot of snow now we do get alot of rain so we handle that easily ..... enough... ahem :o

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

zagmund wrote: »
    This whole rubbish about "we don't get enough of it to make it worthwhile" is a crazyass excuse.

By the same token....if it doesnt rain for a week people start losing water supply....If it rains for more than a couple of days out crap drainage infrastructure/flood defences/housing built on floodplains results in widespread flooding...if we get high winds cardboard boxes apartment complexes loose their roofs.....If we get snow/ice the council (sometimes) grits the roads but not the footpaths......If we get a warm day the roads start to melt.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Scambuster

Hmmm, it's a tough one Liah.

You say you come from a place that reguarly gets feet of snow. And they're really good at dealing with it, right?

But then in Ireland were we infrequently get 2 inches of snow and we just can't deal with it. I just can't make the link why one place can deal with it better than the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

When I first moved to Ireland I was greatly amused during my first winter watching entire cities shut down and no one knowing what to do with themselves after one or two inches' worth of snowfall. Coming from the Great White North myself, I didn't quite get it-- in my town we regularly dealt with 2-3ft of snow during the winter and even the tiniest towns still functioned perfectly, excluding a day off from school (though that was reserved for seriously bad blizzardy weather, just snow alone never stopped it :().

I remember last year Dublin was completely jammed and basically shut down for hours because no one could get around with the traffic, accidents, abandoned cars, etc, not to mention how many people were left without water for over a month in some places. Even now, this year, after what appears to be a only a few inches (from pics I've seen as I'm no longer there) people are abandoning their cars on the side of the road! :pac:

I reckon a few people would make a fortune if they decided to add a snowplow to the front of their vehicles, bought a couple bags of salt and offered to do small roads and long driveways for a fee.

But seriously, why aren't there enough ploughs and salt put out and why aren't people using winter tires? Loads of other countries cope fine with much worse weather.

Someone explain? :confused:

I agree with every thing youve said...

wait we can spend 186 millionon the louis but not 5 grand on a a snow plow.... wow that's plain logic.

I've lived int he french alpes over two winters....
    I learned how to drive on/in snow. I learned how to clear snow i even learned how to walk on it.

Liah i don't think snow plows would work over here the roads are ****e.:pac:
    Like every one else said liability...

I will say something needs to be done because it seems like its getting a lot more common, we got as much snow as some french ski resorts over the past few days....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Global Warming? Pffft.. Doesn't feel very warm too me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭aero2k

I wasn't trying to rub it in! It amuses me, yes, but I don't think I'm better because of it. Was just askin'!
    No point denying it. The 'Canada Uber Alles' attitude is notorious.
    Yeah, what did Canada ever give us..... Leonard Cohen, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young...but apart from that, what did they ever give us?:pac:

aero2k wrote: »
    Yeah, what did Canada ever give us..... Leonard Cohen, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young...but apart from that, what did they ever give us?:pac:

Nelly Furtado, Shania Twain, Mike Myers, Jim Carrey, Avril Lavigne, Pamela Anderson, Evangeline Lily, Kiefer Sutherland,.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Had the same argument as OP from friend who lived in Austria and Norway, suspect there is definitely gloating involved. Same answer as most have posted here, Canada (and Austria/Norway) are set up, year in, year out for snow for several months a year, Ireland is not. Not rocket science.

Cant blame all those countries though, America Junior, Germany Junior, Rest of Scandinavia Junior, they need their moment in the sun snow.

Brian Adams and Celine Dion.

Never forget!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭aero2k

prinz wrote: »
    Nelly Furtado, Shania Twain, Mike Myers, Jim Carrey, Avril Lavigne, Pamela Anderson, Evangeline Lily, Kiefer Sutherland,.......

Never forget!
    Michael Buble. (sorry I started this....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

47 or the 50th aniversary of it in 1977.

Hah! Yeah, Sums >>>> Orando. 30th, then so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Ah sure tis shockin stuff, sure the backroads are impassible and the potholes invisible in this weather. I cant even go down to the village to buy a bit of bread and milk. More grit needed I would say,

OT: Epic username there chief, sure to go down well on boards. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Slow Down!!!
    This is in Carlow, not a dangerous bend at all, this guy must have beendoing a stupid speed to end up in this position

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Never forget!

Joni Mitchell, Leonard Cohen, Neil Young.

Never forget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

ireland still hasnt figured out how to deal with rain properly, dont expect them to get the snow sorted for at least another few thousand years

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How would your town cope with kind of wet sometimes dry but mostly damp with some sunny spells weather, year round? HOW??????

Where would you stick your snow plough there?

You Scandinavians sicken me with your 'Blizzard Spirit' and your indominatable resourcefulness!

Get back to your log cabin and Sauna, Hans.

If it's any consolation, I got it.

Advertisement