Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Designer Babies Questionnaire

Options
  • 30-11-2010 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Thaught this might be the best place on boards.ie to post this. Looking for some opinions from Scientists and anybody interested in science.

This is for my College assignment :)

http://www.misterpoll.com/polls/510113

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

A few suggestions on the questions

"Would you pre-select or modify the physical characteristics of an unborn child for cosmetic purposes (to select sex or physical attributes)?"

Add if proven medically sound and risk free

"Do you think this technology to pre-select or modify the physical characteristics of an unborn child for cosmetic purposes will have a positive or negative effects on society?"

This question isn't really valid without a some more explanations on under what system it is implemented ie under a system of universal access I would say yes, under a tiered/private healthcare system I would say no (topic covered by lot of sci-fi)

"If you were to use genetic engineering to alter your child’s attributes, what feature would you enhance or change?"

Would you be able to change this to a 1,2,3 in order of importance poll as I'm sure the results will show everyone selecting "risk of disease",

In addition would you add a question on "would you use Genetic modification too determine your child sexual orientation"

Especially as if homosexuality is determined to be determined by In Utero hormone levels as has been extensively theorized, it would potentially be a much more simpler factor to alter than the DNA and therefore more likely to be seen sooner.

I've asked my friends this a number of times when we've talked about "the womans right to choice" as feel it makes people look closer at the ethics involved as complete freedom of choice could result in the removal/reduction of a segment of society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

In addition, certain factors affecting physical appearance also have a factor/impact on health. the testosterone breakdown linked to male pattern baldness has been linked to cardiac damage.
    Now there's a trait I'd remove :(

Advertisement