Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Desktop connection stopped working.

Options
  • 30-11-2010 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'll have to a little brief with this post as I'm off to work in a bit so I'll give an outline. I was running Vista on my desktop with a Realtek wireless network adapter and having no problems until recently when I switched my PC on and could not get an internet connection. I've tried reinstalling drivers, which gave me nothing and then said to hell with it anyway. I formatted and installed Win 7. I'd been meaning to do it anyway and hoped the problem might feck off too but alas, still the same issue. I can find my router and connect to it but I get limited or no connectivity and a dirty little yellow triangle in my tray.
    I'm pretty clueless. I'm assuming since the problems still there after changing OS that it's a hardware issue. Anything I can do to make sure? I don't want to buy a new adapter only for it not to work! (I'll be bringing the PC downstairs tonight to make sure it connects with an ethernet cable.)
    My network pass is definitely correct and I should add that my netbook has had zero issues. I'm typing on it at the minute.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

is that wireless USB adapter or built-in wireless?

It seems with the wireless card anyway as its fresh OS.

If its saying limited connectivity then it is connecting to the router but no internet.

Do you have mac filter enabled on your router can you ping the router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Built in wireless. I'll check your other 2 questions shortly.

Ah Christ. I've a Cisco router here and I can't poke around at all. I'm with UPC. I remember having a Netgear with them and it was grand. I'm trying to do anything with this thing and while I've found the correct user/pass I'm still getting "This feature is not enabled." I don't know what that's about. I can get some basic info. It does give me "Cable Modem MAC Address" and "MAC address of the CMTS's RF interface". Whether the feature is enabled or not I couldn't tell you.

Ping to 192.168.1.1 : Transmit failed. General failure.

I didn't build a PC only for this to happen. :(

Checked status of connection to make sure.
    States "Connected". In status, IPv4 Connectivity: No Internet Access. IPv6 Connectivity: No Network Access.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

you have two options:

try your wireless PC with another wireless router

OR

Contact UPC and asked them for the admin account and not the user/guest account to access the configuration of the router

After a lot of searching it seems others have problems with the wireless network adapter I'm using, especially on newer systems. It looks like I'll need new hardware. I hope that solves the problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement