Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 year old very aggressive with baby sister

• 30-11-2010 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any experience or advice with this.

The sort of behaviour I mean is squeezing her hand and leaving nail marks, trying to stamp on her with his boots on when she is lying on the playmat, trying to stick his finger in her eyes - in fact I'd say he's capable of anything.

He is very jealous, and I do try to spend time with him but it never seems to be enough for him. He has grandparents who adore him and he sees them everyday but he resents them cooing over the baby and tries to attack her.

I've tried the naughty step on numerous occasions, afterwards he goes in and apologies to her and is gentle for a while but pretty soon we're back to square one. I've explained that it's not nice for bigger people to hit smaller people etc. I've shouted and begged.

I know it's a big transition for him but I feel he is not dealing with it very well (baby is nearly four months old now).

I can't leave the baby alone with him for even a minute. I'm afraid that one day he will do her a serious injury. He is a great boy, very good fun usually except for this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

There was a very good article in the family section of Irish times where a psychologist answered an identical problem for a mum of 4 yr old. Look up the IT website under society and family and you'll see it there. It gave very good advice on how to deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

This is pretty common and you just have to not let him near her.
    Have you tried telling him about when he was that small and showing him pictures
    so that he can connect more with the infant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭goosie2005

There was a very good article in the family section of Irish times where a psychologist answered an identical problem for a mum of 4 yr old. Look up the IT website under society and family and you'll see it there. It gave very good advice on how to deal with it.

Was thinking of this article when i saw your thread too, hard to find on IT website but found link on his facebook page very common problem i would say.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/health/2010/1123/1224283920377.html

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

I would be working on empathy/emotional skills. Talk alot about how when he does that he will hurt his sister and she will cry. Tell him you know he is sad and angry that you are spending alot of time with her, but it is only because she is very small, and soon, she will be older like he is and will be able to play games with him and you together. Tell him he has been such a big help to you. Tell him that you love him just as much as the baby
    Over the next few weeks involve him in the care of the baby and praise every little positive thing you see.
    If he is over corrected for the neg behaviour with the baby, he will start to shift the blame onto the baby.
    Keep it as an ongoing open discussion. And keep giving him the words of how he is feeling, angry, sad happy upset. Say things like Oh Baby loves it when you make faces at her. And when he starts to get laughs back from her you will see a big change.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Kaylee

Thanks for the article - it's pretty much exactly what we are experiencing!

We are trying the positive attention thing, I wasn't sure whether it was working. To be honest sometimes the tiredness leads to exasperation on my part.

Good to hear we are not the only one's with this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Elle Collins

I'd give him some positive attention alright. I'd give him a good slap in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Kaylee

I'd give him some positive attention alright. I'd give him a good slap in the arse.

:p

We had agreed as parents that we wouldn't use slapping - but we have come very very close to it since the baby arrived. Not sure it would help though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Kaylee wrote: »
    :p

We had agreed as parents that we wouldn't use slapping - but we have come very very close to it since the baby arrived. Not sure it would help though.

Apart from echoing the advice others have given on the thread all I can do is give you a laugh. I was 3 when my brother was born and I HATED him, hated him with a passion. One day I decided to take him down to the gate in his buggy and try to sell him:o
    I know another girl who hated her baby brother so much she put him in the bin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

Of COURSE!!! a great way to teach a three year old not to be aggressive...be aggressive towards him:confused:

Advertisement