Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post - Missed Deliveries, Collection now from Balbriggan?

Options
  • 30-11-2010 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

I got a leafleft in the door from An Post stating that from November 29th if you now miss a delivery (i.e. parcel, registered item, etc..) from An Post in North County Dublin locations e.g. Rush, Lusk, Oldtown, that you will now have to collect it from Balbriggan and not your local post office. :eek: :(

Anyone any idea what is going on? I am trying to understand how this is more efficient ? Just what is needed in the busy Christmas season... :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Got that leaflet too, huge pain in the h0le. Very angry about this :mad: :mad: :mad:
    I have kids, a job and sort of a life, I don't have time to me making a 14 or 15 mile round trip to collect a letter!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

What? I'm in Rush, haven't seen that.
    F*ck them anyway.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

eddiem74 wrote: »
    I got a leafleft in the door from An Post stating that from November 29th if you now miss a delivery (i.e. parcel, registered item, etc..) from An Post in North County Dublin locations e.g. Rush, Lusk, Oldtown, that you will now have to collect it from Balbriggan and not your local post office. :eek: :(

Anyone any idea what is going on? I am trying to understand how this is more efficient ? Just what is needed in the busy Christmas season... :rolleyes:

I heard about it 3 weeks ago. I don't just think it's a restriction of services against residents of Rush but a general downgrade of An Post services throughout Ireland. Maybe we should invite Deutsche Post DHL to go head to head against the semi state monopoly of An Post. I await a post from our man in the know!:D Pardon the pun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

dont see the problem just get the things sent to your job

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

blahblah06 wrote: »
    dont see the problem just get the things sent to your job
    Not everyone has a job.

In some cases online retailers will only despatch to the cardholder address.

Regardless, this is bound to inconvenience a lot of people - getting to Balbriggan just to pick up a parcel is going to be a pain for most, and completely impractical for some.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

That's brutal news - some of the distances and awkwardness of getting from a to b involved in North County Dublin will make it very impractible for a lot of people. (I'm thinking public transport

And worse, a lot of An Post employees have a habit of not actually bringing the parcel with them at an attempt at delivery and just bung the note through the door.

gambiaman wrote: »
    That's brutal news - some of the distances and awkwardness of getting from a to b involved in North County Dublin will make it very impractible for a lot of people. (I'm thinking public transport

And worse, a lot of An Post employees have a habit of not actually bringing the parcel with them at an attempt at delivery and just bung the note through the door.

Afterhours has a thread running on An Post parcel delivery service. Seems in between the smartass comments on the thread its the same now in other areas of Ireland that you have to go to the depot to collect too if they fail to deliver.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056104511

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Corsendonk wrote: »
    I heard about it 3 weeks ago. I don't just think it's a restriction of services against residents of Rush but a general downgrade of An Post services throughout Ireland. Maybe we should invite Deutsche Post DHL to go head to head against the semi state monopoly of An Post. I await a post from our man in the know!:D Pardon the pun.

Suffice to say I dont agree with this new set up. I cant see any logic to it.

Rush, Lusk Garristown and Oldtown have decent post office's who all provide a good service. By removing this service it could have implications down the line if people were to move pension payments, Childrens Allowance and their other business to a different provider.

This is not just an atack on Rush and the other towns mentioned this is happening in a good few places but most of them have a decent public transport link, in this situation we dont as Balbriggan has the mainline bus route, Trains but only a few 33s each day so its a difficult trip for anyone without a car especially our elderley folk.

DHL and other carriers can come into the postal market on January 1st next with the postal market being opened up. However we have seen in the past these companies cherrypick the profitable routes but wont travel up a lane way with a single lettter. An Post will and do so every day.

Despite the odd horror story An Post do provide a good service but this is an appaling decision and attack on rural communities.

Dare I say it.............. Public pressure

I dont think I will contribute any more to this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

LeoB wrote: »
    only a few 33s each day
    There are 10+ 33/33s each week day that would suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

In ten years in Dublin city centre I got one parcel delivered. I work from home a lot so I was there most of the times the parcel guys came. I saw him on a few occasions putting the note in doors without even checking. An Post like a lot of states unionised company's are often rubbish. In the North now and they come up and will knock on your apartment door and wait to see if you're in. The sorting office opens till 8:30pm, and they deliver on a Saturday. The difference is incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭ToyotaCorolla

The new service allows you to go on line and re direct the parcel to a new address if its not convinent to drop down and get it or you can't nominate someone to get it it for you.

An Post have been very active in providing rural areas with upgrades to their service . In the last 14 months a 193 rural offices have been automated, places now that would not have a bank within 50 miles can do on line banking. You can do so much now in your post offfice.Of the 193 new automated offices 6 islands of the coast of Ireland now have a post office(Bere island,Inismeain,Inishere,Inshbofin, Clare Island and Tory Island) . So to say An Post are not providing rural areas with proper servive is wrong.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

At least it is open on Saturdays,
    I have moved to a place where it only opens on weekdays:(

Where is that do you mind me asking , most offices open on a saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

Sorry folks but this 'pick the parcel up in Balbriggan' lark has been in operation for at least a year or more.

I live in Skerries and have had to travel to Balbriggan sorting office to pick up small parcels on at least 6 occasions over the last twelve months.

By the way, it's not a degradation of services that affects just rural communities. I live smack bang in the centre of the town.

The new on line service is only starting to go live as of last week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Beasty wrote: »
    Not everyone has a job.

In some cases online retailers will only despatch to the cardholder address.

Regardless, this is bound to inconvenience a lot of people - getting to Balbriggan just to pick up a parcel is going to be a pain for most, and completely impractical for some.

well if you dont have a job i dont see why you wouldnt be able to get to balbriggan as it wont be a time issue.

if its a problem get it delivered to the parents place then. there is always a way around these things. no point bitching about it

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

blahblah06 wrote: »

if its a problem get it delivered to the parents place then.
    Why would I get something delivered to North Yorkshire?

Seriously, it is not a major problem for me personally - I drive, and as already pointed out some of us have faced this inconvenience already.

I am not suggesting it is a major problem for everyone, but some people cannot access public transport. Some will have health issues and for others it may be completely impractical (mothers with young children in tow for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

I could have mine delivered to west Clare (where my parents live), then between work, school runs, creche runs, shopping etc. I could bundle the kids into the car and drive for 5 hours (including a rest break in McDonalds, Athlone) to collect it. Simple! Thanks for the advice ;)

Bluetonic wrote: »
    There are 10+ 33/33s each week day that would suffice.

No its still not enough. Take where the bus terminates and the walk faced by an elderley person. Its wrong we would even consider asking them to do this

Quote Beasty
    Why would I get something delivered to North Yorkshire? A walk on the dales or a bit of Yorkshire hospitality!! by dat

I am not suggesting it is a major problem for everyone, but some people cannot access public transport. Some will have health issues and for others it may be completely impractical (mothers with young children in tow for example).
    Exactly
    end quote

meglome wrote: »
    In ten years in Dublin city centre I got one parcel delivered. I work from home a lot so I was there most of the times the parcel guys came. I saw him on a few occasions putting the note in doors without even checking. An Post like a lot of states unionised company's are often rubbish. In the North now and they come up and will knock on your apartment door and wait to see if you're in. The sorting office opens till 8:30pm, and they deliver on a Saturday. The difference is incredible.

From my experience this is frowned upon by the D.S.Ms. The service has been upgraded with track and trace and I would say this is most uncommon.

An Post may be heavily unionised but what power do they have today or over the last 10 years for that matter. I am a member of the union and would say the C.W.U are not very militant at all. The whole structure of unions have changed considerably over the years and especially through partnership arrangments its quite easy to see Union and managment often working together on many day to day issues. I know its not like this in some places but there is a reasonably good relationship in An Post.

Some state companies are rubbish!! I can say An Post are first class without fear of contradiction (this topic aside). An Post are closely monitored by the E.P.O and a host of other watchdogs and must reach a certain standard of compliance each month which they do and not being happy with nearly a 90% + hit rate An Post strive for 100%.

Despite the current weather An Post and its delivery staff have done an excellent job this week. Delivery staff are are flat out trying to get deliveries completed. Hope you cleaned the steps to your appartment? Would not wannt to see a post person slip and injure themselves.
    The new service allows you to go on line and re direct the parcel to a new address if its not convinent to drop down and get it or you can't nominate someone to get it it for you.

An Post have been very active in providing rural areas with upgrades to their service . In the last 14 months a 193 rural offices have been automated, places now that would not have a bank within 50 miles can do on line banking. You can do so much now in your post offfice.Of the 193 new automated offices 6 islands of the coast of Ireland now have a post office(Bere island,Inismeain,Inishere,Inshbofin, Clare Island and Tory Island) . So to say An Post are not providing rural areas with proper servive is wrong.

An Post have upgraded most if not all services within its remit. I find the counter staff good, competent and helpful.

I agree its wrong to say An Post dont provide a good service, they do. I have seen a lot of changes in the last 30 years and most have been for the better.

But this decision to move packets and parcels out of the local post offices is wrong. As I said previously its making life very difficult especially for our elderly people. Ask most elderley people and they look forward to going to the P.O to pick up their packet, Pension, buy a T.V stamp ect and that is vital to our community. Then you have the people with no car, say they hop on a bus at 9.15 after dropping kids to school. They will get to sorting office in about 60min including walk from bus and then make the return journey and get back just in time to pick kids up. Half a day gone when they could have just walked into the local office and picked it up in 5 or 10 minutes.

No its still not enough.
    But it's well more than the 'a few' you were claiming, which no doubt makes the statement sound more dramatic.

• Advertisement

But it's well more than the 'a few' you were claiming, which no doubt makes the statement sound more dramatic.

Its missing the point, we should not be putting elderley people or people with small kids who rely on public transport through this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

from another point of view . how does it save money doing this.

surely it would reduce the need of a storage warehouse etc etc.....

the post office staff will be there anyway so its not as if they are saving on personnel.

it will be a pain. i rarely get parcels delivered . but the thoughts of having to go into balbriggan ( with or without a car ) to collect something that i had paid to be delivered to my house.

( now i am not saying the post should always comes to my house as if i am not in they cant keep trying to redeliver to my house. but it makes it uch better that the post stays local. )

Martron wrote: »
    from another point of view . how does it save money doing this.

surely it would reduce the need of a storage warehouse etc etc.....

the post office staff will be there anyway so its not as if they are saving on personnel.

it will be a pain. i rarely get parcels delivered . but the thoughts of having to go into balbriggan ( with or without a car ) to collect something that i had paid to be delivered to my house.

( now i am not saying the post should always comes to my house as if i am not in they cant keep trying to redeliver to my house. but it makes it uch better that the post stays local. )

It keeps people local also. No carbon footprint having to take a round trip to Balbriggan. People can walk to the local Post Office meet other people on the street go into other shops and help keep a community ticking over.

Its missing the point, we should not be putting elderley people or people with small kids who rely on public transport through this.
    You stated that there are only a few 33s each day, thats my point, you weren't being truthful and you stated something as fact to support your case. I've no opinion on what we should and shouldn't be putting people through.

I've no opinion on what we should and shouldn't be putting people through.

then why post anything

You stated that there are only a few 33s each day, thats my point, you weren't being truthful and you stated something as fact to support your case. I've no opinion on what we should and shouldn't be putting people through.

No point in nit picking, we had a bout of that before....................... But you obviously do have an opinion as you are posting or are you posting for another reason?

No matter how you look at it there is no logic to this move.

As has been stated earlier by ToyotaCorolla An Post have upgraded a lot of services so why not upgrade Rush & Lusk post offices? Both have had a massive increase in population over the last few years. Despite all the good developments in An Post there are loads of other avenues for An Post to further develop, like post shop with a wider selection of items to purchase, all stationary products, more envelops, return address labels, parcel post box, pens, sealing tape to name but a few.

No point in nit picking, we had a bout of that before....................... But you obviously do have an opinion as you are posting or are you posting for another reason?
    I'm not nit picking, if you are going to be so critical of something then why not bother to tell the truth, it's as easy as telling lies. I thought you were better than misrepresenting the services of Dublin Bus to add a little spice to your story, clearly not.

No point in letting the facts get in the way of a good story. It's hard to take the rest of your argument seriously when you blatantly disregard the truth, THAT'S the point, I would have thought you could understand that.

well i would agree with leo here saying there is a few buses.

I am open to correction here but a lot of the 33 seem to terminate in skerries. (33s?)

and most of the normal buses are on the hour with increase frequency at peak times ( which i can assume the depot will be closed , again i dont have opeing times of the depot but will assume they are the same as the post office)

so if i have to wait an hour to get a bus that does not terminate in skerries i then have to choose a bus that will get me there to avaid lunch times. then pick up my parcel and wait again for a suitable bus to go back through rush.

it could turn into a 2-3 hour journey.

There is the added cost too. i am sure with elderly people they could possible manage the bus but an extra few euro here and there all adds up too.

I would like to see the logic from An Post to why they changed this.

Just to state some facts.

There are 10+ daytime buses that would get you there and back, i.e. Journey during opening hours and do not terminate in Skerries. In some cases the same one will get you there and back as there is a break for the driver in Balbriggan with the sorting office a 500 meter walk each way.

The sorting office, like the Post Office in Balbriggan, does not close for lunch. It also allows for collection up to around 7pm, sometimes Ned is there later. Only franchised Post Offices close for lunch.

There's obviously an opening for a third party to receive parcels or collect them in Balbriggan if the current arrangement which has been in place over a year is both time consuming and costly to parcel recipients. With vast unemployment in NCD I wonder why some entrepreneur hasn't got this up and running already?

• Advertisement

There's obviously an opening for a third party to receive parcels or collect them in Balbriggan if the current arrangement which has been in place over a year is both time consuming and costly to parcel recipients. With vast unemployment in NCD I wonder why some entrepreneur hasn't got this up and running already?

Why would you? It makes it pointless to get anything delivered by An Post if after that you have to pay a third party if you miss delivery, your better off just ensuring your parcels get delivered by logistics companies that call back.

Also just to point out not everyone lives on the 33 route, Oldtown etc

Advertisement