Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post - Missed Deliveries, Collection now from Balbriggan?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i am not saying its impossible to do it by bus just saying its not as totally convienent as you are making it out.

we can equally use the facts to prove or disprove either of our points. so lets agree to disagree.

getting a third party involved hardly soves the problem either. and as a profitable business i am not sure it would work either. you would have to charge a good amount per parcel on which someone has already paid for the delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

I never got the leaflet but was just informed by my postman this morning. Our parcels usually go up to Garristown so now we have to collect from Balbriggan.

Though he is able to leave them in the wee shop up the road, meaning "he" signs "on my behalf" which I gave him permission for. It does mean that if ever something goes missing, I cannot hold him accountable.

Just nice to see that the local postman actual works out a system that's beneficial for both him and the postal receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Bluetonic wrote: »
    I'm not nit picking, if you are going to be so critical of something then why not bother to tell the truth, it's as easy as telling lies. I thought you were better than misrepresenting the services of Dublin Bus to add a little spice to your story, clearly not.

No point in letting the facts get in the way of a good story. It's hard to take the rest of your argument seriously when you blatantly disregard the truth, THAT'S the point, I would have thought you could understand that.

So we have more bus's than I estimated. Sincere apologies. I dont tell lies or edit other people posts. I didnt blatently disregard the truth. It does not change the fact that this change is very unfair on consumers. The REAL truth is this move is not good for the consumer and as I have said repeatley especially the elderley.

So you think its ok to have elderley people put to thuis trouble? Or a mother with a buggy?. I dont think its ok.

Eh where does the bus terminate in Balbriggan? Beside the Church?

sNarah wrote: »
    I never got the leaflet but was just informed by my postman this morning. Our parcels usually go up to Garristown so now we have to collect from Balbriggan.

Just nice to see that the local postman actual works out a system that's beneficial for both him and the postal receiver.

Gerry is a very decent man and fairly typical of most Posties. Does the 33 bus go by your door?;) Or do you have a Bus service to Balbriggan?

I imagine it would be difficult to get to Balbriggan from out your way if you did not have a car. A girl picked up a packet this morning and Paid €30 for a return taxi trip from Rush, A bit steep I thought.

must have been an important package!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Quick question but when you say North Co. Dub, please tell me Swords is not included in this change?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

And talking of 'nit-picking' - there's been more than enough of it in this thread.

Discuss the topic without taking cheap shots please.

Thanks,

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Can you not nominate a neighbour who is at home during the day to take in your parcels for you?

That's what I and my neighbours do. We have an excellent postman who if he can't get an answer at my door will knock into my nominated neighbour and vice versa. It is rare that I have to trek to the sorting office.

Eoineo wrote: »
    Can you not nominate a neighbour who is at home during the day to take in your parcels for you?

That's what I and my neighbours do. We have an excellent postman who if he can't get an answer at my door will knock into my nominated neighbour and vice versa. It is rare that I have to trek to the sorting office.

Yes you can nominate a person to take in your parcels for you but you must inform the Post Office/sorting office by either a noe of filling in a form.

Most posties are very obliging:)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Ginny wrote: »
    Quick question but when you say North Co. Dub, please tell me Swords is not included in this change?

I wouldn't say so Ginny as Swords has a sorting office.

• Advertisement

Ginny wrote: »

No its not included. Swords has its own sorting office on Rathbeale Rd.

Its basically rural North County Dublin sub offices, Oldtown, Garristown, Rush and Lusk. Stamullen, Gormanston Naul and Skerries are already based there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

LeoB wrote: »
    Gerry is a very decent man and fairly typical of most Posties. Does the 33 bus go by your door?;) Or do you have a Bus service to Balbriggan?

I imagine it would be difficult to get to Balbriggan from out your way if you did not have a car. A girl picked up a packet this morning and Paid €30 for a return taxi trip from Rush, A bit steep I thought.

Ha, I wish, no public transport round these parts!
    The thing is it's easy enough for me to drive down because
    a) I drive
    and b) would be around Balbriggan often

Though since I started work in Dunshaughlin I now shop in Ratoath and Balbriggan réally is a detour.

Gerry will leave my parcels in the shop now but when there's someone else doing his rounds, they will bring them into town. I get around 2 or 3 parcels a week, so that would be annoying.

That said, if you're and old lady/gentleman, mam with kids etc round these parts, you'd be well fecked for having to drive down town or arranging someone to take you.
    LeoB wrote: »
    Yes you can nominate a person to take in your parcels for you but you must inform the Post Office/sorting office by either a noe of filling in a form.

Most posties are very obliging:)
    You need to fill in a form and I think the 3rd party pick-up needs a proof of you ID too like drivers license or passport.

At least I understand the Garristown one being redirected, although Ashbourne would be closer, but for Rush/Lusk to have to go to Balbriggan? With such a massive population there? PLus not easy to find parking near the PO in the Brig neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spidermany

I went to Balbriggan on Friday as I was incorrectly told I could pick up my post by An Post Customer Services. The manager was really, really helpful, but I'd love to go back to the days when I could pop down to Rush PO and Leo would find my letters, my husband's, MIL and FIL and any aunts or uncles on the way home.

The new premises is supposed to be more efficient and better conditions for the posties, but I prefer the personal touch.

Spidermany wrote: »
    but I'd love to go back to the days when I could pop down to Rush PO and Leo would find my letters,

but I prefer the personal touch.

Leo, Best postman this side of the Shannon:D

this side of the cliffs of moher. :D

with the online xmas shopping.......... i wonder how this is going to work. i better buy a 10 journey bus ticket!!!

Doh!

missed the postie this morning!!!! off to balbriggan for me!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Probably see you there tomorrow so :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Magi11

If anyone is interested... <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭billyhead

I missed a delivery on Saturday and I would need to collect it from Balbriggan. I live in Rush. Would you think if I contact the sorting office they may drop it up to Rush PO for collection. TBH I do not have time to go out to Balbriggan to collect it this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Carter12

Hello,

Can someone tell me where the sorting office is in Balbriggan.

is it the normal balbriggan post office, or a separate building ?

thank you x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Separate site.

Kompass.ie
    Balbriggan Post Office (Sorting Office)
    Units 7/8
    Balbriggan Business Park Balbriggan
    Co Dublin
    Ireland
    Contact us
    +353 01 8020144
    +353 01 8020146

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Carter12

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Separate site.

Kompass.ie

Thank you kind sir :)

I got a leaflet yesterday through the letterbox. I was up and about and heard the post fall on the floor downstairs.... and the parcel leaflet. I understand that the postman might think 7am is too early to try ringing doorbells, but I'm not impressed... no attempt was made to deliver it and this has happened several times. Now I will be walking the two miles to the sorting office and it's not the weather for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Spidermany

I hope you lodged a complaint Budgese.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭billyhead

Do you think if I contact the sorting office in Balbriggan they might drop the parcel I missed up to the local office. It is christmas after all:D

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

Is the delivery office open on Saturday? It was mentioned earlier in the thread that it was but I just want to double-check.

I missed a delivery today according to An Post online tracking and haven't been home today to check the opening hours on the leaflet. All I can find online is that the post office counter services is open 0900-1300 but can't find anything for the delivery office hours.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

No it's not open Saturdays unfortunately. There is staff there sorting I think but they aren't dealing with counter enquiries.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

Eoineo wrote: »
    No it's not open Saturdays unfortunately. There is staff there sorting I think but they aren't dealing with counter enquiries.

Thanks Eoineo. That's a shame, would be very useful if it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Scooby_Doo

I have only seen this thread now ....

This is something that really enraged me when it first came in. i live in Lusk and would really rather not drive all the way to balbriggan to get my parcels. before this, I could go 2mins away to the local post office anytime after lunch on the same day of the attempted delivery and get my package. Now I have to do a 20min drive down pothole riddled roads AND have to wait till the next business day? So i made a complaint ....

The reply was that this is not due to cost cutting but to make the delivery service more efficent blah blah?? I replied with saying, how can it be more efficent for me to to the journey listed above and wait an extra day? How much can it cost to hold my parcel on a shelf for a couple of hours in the local post office and have it handed to me by someone getting paid to be there anyway? (The local postmistress actually asked me to complain as even she thought it was madness).

I then also asked why the post from Lusk cannot go to the swords sorting office behind woodies as its handier to get to and probably the same distance. they didnt even bother replying to that one..

Shambles of a service. I now have an agreement with my postie who leaves my parcels in my green bin when im not there which if a far from ideal but saves me that awful drive....

• Advertisement

Due to the levels of complaint there are I believe moves/negotiations on to have this reveresed so keep up the pressure.

James Reilly T.D & Minister has a base in Lusk.
    Brendan Ryan T.D.
    Alan Farrell (Tweet him)
    Clare Daly

Every cllr and T.D needs to be put under serious pressure on this issue.

Advertisement