Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Copper notes?

• 30-11-2010 6:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭

I get a powerful whiff of pennies from some red ales. Makes sense given some of them will spend time in copper vats. Is it healthy though? Is it considered a defect?

I never hear 'copper notes' in descriptions. :confused: It does fade into the background as you drink, I guess.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭JnarF

Ah so I'm not the only one who gets this! Any explanation from anyone?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

FTGFOP wrote: »
    Makes sense given some of them will spend time in copper vats.
    I very much doubt any of them do. When you see shiny copper brewkit they're generally stainless steel on the inside.

Could be a hop thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

BeerNut wrote: »
    I very much doubt any of them do. When you see shiny copper brewkit they're generally stainless steel on the inside.

yep and too expensive too

probably just hop aroma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

You normally get it in English Ales.

Some types of hops can cause it. East Kent Goldings are a prime candidate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Interesting. Is it considered an off-flavour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Not off as in it should not be there, but some people might not like a beer that tastes a little like copper, considering blood has a similar taste.

Shepherd Neame beers often have the copper taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Thanks for the responses. I find the copper thing can vary a lot bottle-to-bottle for the same beer. What prompted me to write was cracking open an O' Hara's red ale, I've got it from Fuller's ESB sometimes too and then not at other times.

I guess it bothers me less knowing it's just from hops rather than copper ions floating around. :pac:

Advertisement