Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

West Ham United v Manchester United Match Thread 30/11/10

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Getting Archimedes to ask him out for you is like, so primary school.

Here, leave the jokes to flah, he's better at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

He already PM'ed me his admiration.

Not even joking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

@ Archimedes: I'm not throwing anything at United, merely expressing an opinion.
    flahavaj wrote: »
    Maybe they should get a paper trophy for doing so well on paper?
    The Muppet wrote: »
    The League Table Begs to differ. Perhaps you're getting money mixed up with talent.:D

No need to jump on my post; it wasn't an attack or looking for a rise. Someone said they thought United had the strongest squad in the League; I disagree - City and Spurs probably have more strength in depth on paper than United at present and I think you'd find it hard to argue otherwise.

Of course we all know that having the best squad on paper doesn't translate into instant success otherwise Man City would be going for back to back trebles at this stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGWEI390Pe8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Flether has had a very poor season so far. Really seems to be strugling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Well done Spector, Obinna and co (except Boa Morte - you tell him Fergie :))

As a United fan I'm going to look at the positives - potential 3 less games to play\organize for, Fergie knows now to trust Smalling ahead of J Evans and Anderson is getting fitter

Poor list of positives but I'm looking at them. Happy for the hammers, sad we're out but it might help our season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

cson wrote: »

No need to jump on my post; it wasn't an attack or looking for a rise. Someone said they thought United had the strongest squad in the League; I disagree - City and Spurs probably have more strength in depth on paper than United at present and I think you'd find it hard to argue otherwise.

Of course we all know that having the best squad on paper doesn't translate into instant success otherwise Man City would be going for back to back trebles at this stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGWEI390Pe8

Jump on your post? I just disagree with you , is that allowed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

karma_ wrote: »
    Why don't you just ask him out already?

I don't know, do you think I have a shot?

Maybe I could text him, and tell him I like him, and if he doesn't text back I can just send him another text "OMG flah, 1 of my grlm8s totally stole my fone n snt u dat txt, so sry!!! x :P". If he texts back saying we should give it a shot, then....well........then aces :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

If some Manchester United fans are aware of the true nature of tonight's West Ham team, they will be a little concerned about the wisdom of shelling out as much money on some of the players in white tonight.

While this was a United second string, this was a Hammers second and third string. Tonight West Ham were missing Krutz, Gabbidon, Jacobson, Da Costa, Illunga, Dyer, Behrami, Noble, Parker, Collison, Hitzelsperger and Piquionne. The only regular starters were Upson, Obinna, and Boa Morte. United fans have to be careful not to put this down to United playing a weakened team, and the Hammers playing their first eleven. That was not the case.

Im delighted as a Hammers fan. Nights like these are so rare that it is the first time I have experienced such a night !

Het-Field wrote: »
    If some Manchester United fans are aware of the true nature of tonight's West Ham team, they will be a little concerned about the wisdom of shelling out as much money on some of the players in white tonight.

While this was a United second string, this was a Hammers second and third string. Tonight West Ham were missing Krutz, Gabbidon, Jacobson, Da Costa, Illunga, Dyer, Behrami, Noble, Parker, Collison, Hitzelsperger and Piquionne. The only regular starters were Upson, Obinna, and Boa Morte. United fans have to be careful not to put this down to United playing a weakened team, and the Hammers playing their first eleven. That was not the case.

Im delighted as a Hammers fan. Nights like these are so rare that it is the first time I have experienced such a night !

The parts in bold have no place in the same sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

NickDrake wrote: »
    Flether has had a very poor season so far. Really seems to be strugling.
    By season do you mean tonight? Because I've seen him in loads of games and he has always been one of the best players on the park.

Jump on your post? I just disagree with you , is that allowed?

Jump, whatever. It's semantics; "the post you quoted" - that any better?

Course you're allowed disagree with me; this place wouldn't be much fun if you couldn't would it?

Archimedes wrote: »
    I don't know, do you think I have a shot?

Maybe I could text him, and tell him I like him, and if he doesn't text back I can just send him another text "OMG flah, 1 of my grlm8s totally stole my fone n snt u dat txt, so sry!!! x :P". If he texts back saying we should give it a shot, then....well........then aces :)

Ooh, now let's get down tonight
    Baby I'm hot just like an oven
    I need some lovin'
    And baby, I can't hold it much longer
    It's getting stronger and stronger
    And when I get that feeling
    I want Sexual Healing
    Sexual Healing, oh baby
    Makes me feel so fine
    Helps to relieve my mind
    Sexual Healing baby, is good for me
    Sexual Healing is something that's good for me
    Whenever blue tear drops are falling
    And my emotional stability is leaving me
    There is something I can do
    I can get on the telephone and call you up baby, and
    Honey I know you'll be there to relieve me
    The love you give to me will free me
    If you don't know the things you're dealing
    I can tell you, darling, that it's Sexual Healing
    Get up, Get up, Get up, Get up, let's make love tonight
    Wake up, Wake up, Wake up, Wake up, 'cos you do it right
    Baby I got sick this morning
    A sea was storming inside of me
    Baby I think I'm capsizing
    The waves are rising and rising
    And when I get that feeling
    I want Sexual Healing
    Sexual Healing is good for me
    Makes me feel so fine, it's such a rush
    Helps to relieve the mind, and it's good for us
    Sexual Healing, baby, is good for me
    Sexual Healing is something that's good for me
    And it's good for me and it's good to me
    My baby ohhh
    Come take control, just grab a hold
    Of my body and mind soon we'll be making it
    Honey, oh we're feeling fine
    You're my medicine open up and let me in
    Darling, you're so great
    I can't wait for you to operate
    I can't wait for you to operate
    When I get this feeling, I need Sexual Healing.

Rawr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

syngindub wrote: »
    Man Utd on Saturday woudn't live with barca. End of story pal.
    barca are on a different planet and quite possibly one of the most brilliant club teams ever !!

That was even for Barcelona, a one-off. This is the same Barcelona team that lost to Hercules earlier this season. It is football, teams can lose matches. It happens and one game does not make or break a team. Of course Barcelona are a great team, but they are not unbeatable.

United lost tonight, so be it. At the end of the season it won't make much difference. The League Cup is nice to win, but it is a bonus. It is not great to see so many players playing poorly, but there were a lot of fringe players out there tonight. Plus as can happen on occasion, the game just fell perfectly for West Ham. They got the necessary luck and exploited it to perfection. After they got a lead, they played brilliantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

The parts in bold have no place in the same sentence.

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

cson wrote: »
    Jump, whatever. It's semantics; "the post you quoted" - that any better?

Course you're allowed disagree with me; this place wouldn't be much fun if you couldn't would it?

Jump / reply, are you complaining because I replied to your post? If not that what?

• Advertisement

baz2009 wrote: »
    Why?

Another one for the block list baz, just dont rise to it. i happen to think my 71 year old Dad has a bit of wisdom!

And to the poster who stated it was West hams second team (left out Green too) maybe they should play that team going by their position in the league. A fit flying Carlton Cole would start also, he's out of form...but who at West Ham isn't!? Made me chuckle.

Well done though, some bad defending by United but some pieces of magic and hard work. 4-0, I don't think it would be a strong argument to say it wasn't a fair result. Hammers for the cup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

As an outsider looking in it seemed like Evans was going to be as good as Pique a season and a half a go but since the Milan away game he just seems to of regressed so much now I could be wrong but at least it's one less competition to be worried about I'm delighted to have a week of while our Saturday opponents have a second city Derby.

On West Ham fair play hopefully this is the beginning of an upward curve Avram Grant seems a top man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

What. A. ****e. Game.

Jump / reply, are you complaining because I replied to your post? If not that what?

My comment was regards squad and you started bringing the league into this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

YEEEEEESSSSSS!! Get the f*ck in!!!! What a fookin result!!!

(Flah, am I doing it right? ;) :pac:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Xavi6 wrote: »

I know why you're doing that, but isn't it a bit bad form to all the united fans who said nothing about the city game??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Shouldn't it be in the United thread? ;)

Dreadful performance overall. Fully deserved win by West Ham. They wanted it more in the first half and the early third goal killed it. I haven't seen Fergie that disgusted in a long time.

I wouldn't panic about it too much as there were a lot of big players missing. It does show though that when the first string aren't involved the team are vulnerable, especially defensively. It's a shame since this tournament represented a great chance for a domestic trophy. Hopefully this will prove a wake-up call for the players and prevent any arrogance creeping into the league camapign following the Blackburn win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

As an outsider looking in it seemed like Evans was going to be as good as Pique a season and a half a go but since the Milan away game he just seems to of regressed so much now I could be wrong but at least it's one less competition to be worried about I'm delighted to have a week of while our Saturday opponents have a second city Derby.

On West Ham fair play hopefully this is the beginning of an upward curve Avram Grant seems a top man.

Nope. Spot on.

Before that game Johnny Evans had me convinced he would be not only first choice when Rio came back from injury, but for the next 5+ years. He was magnificent up untill that game, im not saying that game is the reason he has turned sour, but my god, he is in an absolutely dire run of form... And I didnt even see the match tonight, Im talking about before tonight... I gather he didnt do too well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    I know why you're doing that, but isn't it a bit bad form to all the united fans who said nothing about the city game??

What City game? We got knocked out ages ago.

Evans is poo alright, Brown and Smalling are the definite cover for Rio and Vidic surely now
    DOC09UNAM wrote: »

ah dude just ignore it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Definitely not a side that should be getting hammered by one of the poorest teams this season in the PL.

Haven't seen the game, only read the score in this thread (thanks to the image of Ferguson/Noddy) now, but that is a shocking line-up and the result is not so surprising..were there any save-the-day subs brought on?

dfx- wrote: »
    Haven't seen the game, only read the score in this thread (thanks to the image of Ferguson/Noddy) now, but that is a shocking line-up and the result is not so surprising..were there any save-the-day subs brought on?

Well our three worst players came off before they could do anymore damage imo. The last two subs being defo damage limitation (Fabio off / Rafa; Evans off / Brown)

Them two and Bebe were awful. Although so was Giggs, O Shea and Fletch

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Evans is only 22 at the moment. He has played very well at times and looked promising.

I remember when JOS burst onto the scene, he faded out for a while after and people were calling him muck and yet, I think he has turned into a grand player.

Fletcher, at one point people were saying that he was only good for the Championship, I think many have been proved wrong.

So Evans has a dip in form. Given time we'll see if he can get himself back to the standard he'd shown. I just think people are so quick to write off players these days. Obviously I don't know whether he will or not but I sure still have hope for the young lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,468 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Man of the Match voting still open...

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dE1CQzhqbjFHX1R1alNESUJ6TXZxRHc6MQ#gid=0

For some reason votes are very slow coming in.... weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Evans is actually dreadful now. Two seasons ago he was solid when he played and even last season he was ok. This year he is just woeful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

SantryRed wrote: »
    Evans is actually dreadful now. Two seasons ago he was solid when he played and even last season he was ok. This year he is just woeful.

Yep cos a player does just lose all his talent ovver the summer break, nothing got to do with confidence or form at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Het-Field wrote: »

Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Interesting.

not really, it probably means that grant doesnt know how to pick his team correctly. Green and Cole are 100% starters for West ham, to deny that is laughable. add another 4 normal starters, you have 6 of their best players starting at least. maybe the lads who have been playing all along are the reason that west ham are bottom and grant has started to change things?

nobody is denying that united were poor last night but to try rub it in even more, west ham had a strong team out lat night, so did united.

to me, the post you quoted was just some lad plucking random "stats" out of his as*.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

not really, it probably means that grant doesnt know how to pick his team correctly. Green and Cole are 100% starters for West ham, to deny that is laughable. add another 4 normal starters, you have 6 of their best players starting at least. maybe the lads who have been playing all along are the reason that west ham are bottom and grant has started to change things?

nobody is denying that united were poor last night but to try rub it in even more, west ham had a strong team out lat night, so did united.

to me, the post you quoted was just some lad plucking random "stats" out of his as*

Or it was a WHU fan who follows the team week in week out, knows who plays and who the form players are. C.Cole has been very poor when he's played this season (before last night) and was rightly benched behind Piquionne and as for Green he is shockingly all over the place at the moment and is only beginning to regain his confidence after the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

to me, the post you quoted was just some lad plucking random "stats" out of his as*.

lol, I'm going to safely assume that a West Ham fan knows more about the West Ham squad than you or I.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

and, he didn't rub anything in whatsoever.

in fact, the poster was very dignified in victory, more so than i may have been. :pac:

some might need to tone down the defensiveness maybe?!

he just corrected any Utd fans who may have been claiming that they lost because of a weakened team, because West Ham was also weakened.

like the last couple of posters, i'll assume he knows his team better than the rest of us.

Wrong thread.

And I'd never say fookin'.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Did Liverpool and City win last night or something?

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Le King wrote: »
    Did Liverpool and City win last night or something?

:confused:

No........hopefully later:) as the retaliation will be dreadful.

No........hopefully later:) as the retaliation will be dreadful.

Theres no football on tonight?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Come off it. Cole has been woeful this season. He's only scored once (before last night) and has more often than not come on as a second half sub in games this season. Our two best players by far in Parker and Piquionne (11 goals between them) were benched last night.
    Out of last night's starting eleven, I would say Green, Upson, Obinna and, at a push, Barrera would be regular starters for us.
    As HetField said, we were also missing Da Costa, Illunga, Dyer, Behrami, Noble etc.
    And not one West Ham fan has "rubbed it in". We're delighted with the performance of a lot of our fringe players against the reigning Carling Cup champions. And why shouldn't we be?

To the rest of the Man Utd fans, cheers for the graciousness in defeat.

Starting early I see Flah;)

• Advertisement

All in good humour of course.

All in good humour of course.

I know:)

Don't mind a little banter......( that doesn't give ya free rein in the City thread later tho!!!!)

I know:)

Don't mind a little banter......( that doesn't give ya free rein in the City thread later tho!!!!)

I'll have to start a match thread so......

Accidental jokes don't count.

Accidental jokes don't count.

No I meant it. The Europavision or whatever its called doesn't count as football really.:pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement