Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

renovating a solid stone house??

• 30-11-2010 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

my house is solid stone, 120 years old,with small little windows that i hate!my question is it possible to get bigger windows fitted?i have being told because it is solid stone the walls could be up to 5 feet thick!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭ronaldo84

i dont know how big ur window openings are but i'd imagine to make them higher and wider would b a huge undertaking. have you many windows?? are there arches or stone lintels above them??

• Registered Users Posts: 44 christina51

just the two windows at the front of the house,stone lintels.basically the front part of the house consists of a sitting room and 2 bedrooms and this is built out of solid stone,the back part of the house consists of kitchen and bathroom and this was done at a later stage by previous owners and is double block so no problem there its just the front part.i cant find anything on the net about putting in bigger windows into this type of house.also since the front part is stone i imagine id have the same difficulty if i wanted to break through to build an internal door from one room to another??:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Whats with this 'up to five feet' ? Where you have windows you can easily see or measure the thickness of the wall. It is not impossible to enlarge windows in a stone building. It may be expensive but you will probably never get the work done cheaper than at the moment.

I can post a pic of small windows in a stone building in the process of being doubled in size, if you like.

If it is a matter of getting more light in, it would probably be cheaper to install a light tube style skylight, providing there are no upper floors.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 christina51

cnocbui yes i would love to see those pics if you can please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Here are the windows being enlarged - They were high and square:

StoneWindows1.jpg

Left hand one from the outside finished:

StoneWindows2.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement