Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wooden fire mantle/shelf

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭ronaldo84

ur best way out of this is to go to a joinery and they could cut the piece to what ever dimensions you require

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

was thinking i might have to go to a joinery alright, not sure if the would have them dried or not... so they will not warp from the heat of the fire/stove

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭ronaldo84

it would be already kilin dried

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi Scuby
    Try brooks cork. They do a stone similiar it's from the slate mines in spain. Cannot remember name but it comes from the slate mines in Spain. Brooks also keep Cedar wood would make nice mantle.

North West

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭neilr4

I needed something similar last year and went to a joinery and got a piece of dried hard wood 9"x4"x8ft for €180. I cut it into pieces with a chainsaw and finished the ends with a sander.

The mrs wanted an old authentic look so I took a large chain and beat the wood with it then used a planer, spoke shave and a sander to round off the edges, stained it 'american oak' finish and it looks perfect.

You could have a look here if you need something similar and don't wish to do the work yourself:

http://www.kielystoves.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=18&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=80

Neil.

• Advertisement
Advertisement