Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mc Convey takes indefinite break

• 30-11-2010 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

This happens every time. CI take a good mountain biker... put them on the road... they give up a year or two later. Pity as he sure has talents on the bike.... So many riders I talk to that are really serious just don't have fun on the bike and take it way too seriously.

Irish rider Connor Mc Convey, who rides for the belgian registered An Post Sean Kelly team, has decided to take an indefinite break from Professional Cycling.

The former U23 world ranked top 5 Mountainbiker, turned road rider, cited reasons linked to lack of passion, amongst others.

He said “ I have decided to take a break because im just not having fun on my bike anymore. We’ve tried for 3 or 4 months to bring things back to basics-purely fun-but nothing has changed. I know that you cant enjoy life 100% of the time; but when your passion for the sport dwindles you can’t effectively go through the 80% of the really hard times to justify the 20% of the good times you experience. The sport is too hard if you don’t love it all”.

The rider has had several oppurtunites for the next years and potential to achieve good things. And was quick to point at the great help he has had thus far.

“This is really a logical decision. I got myself into a good level of fitness,-into a good place- before I made the decision. I’ve had good results and shown good potential. Its a decision thats taken me 3-4months to make. I had good oppurtunities for the next few years, so there was financial security there, along with a great team, great races & support staff. Its was really a question of, do I want this to be my life for the next ‘x’ number of years?’

”The support I’ve had from my club as an underage rider, to all the MTB teams, national federation, SINI, ISC , An Post, family, friends, coach and team mates thus far has been great, and they have all supported the decsion super well, so cheers”

“Its time now for me to get out of the Cycling bubble for the first time in my life, to experience a bit of life and to find myself as a person”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jiffybag

Common enough problem nowadays , lots of guys getting a chance to step up to the next level .'Some of them are in too far above their level' . Very few have what it takes to make a real impact . Professional cycling is a 365 days a year job . It must be taken serious but at the same time peole should not loose touch with what they are doing it for.

Too many 'average' riders are living the dream and training like pro's with little or no enjoyment from cycling.

Lots of Irish lads just stop and disapper after they quit the pro ranks , Power and Scanlon , two great bike riders who lots thier way ....

I hope he takes a bit of time out and tries to find the fun again. Maybe a bit of a career break will do just that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

mtbireland wrote: »
    This happens every time. CI take a good mountain biker... put them on the road... they give up a year or two later. Pity as he sure has talents on the bike.... So many riders I talk to that are really serious just don't have fun on the bike and take it way too seriously.

Come on now its not fair to say CI take a good MTB rider and I assume you mean we over race him in Belgium etc. We are as depressed about this as the rest of the cycling public.

Marcus Christie, Connor Mc and Philip D all have had troublesome years and if you think we are just lying back and taking it you can be sure that we arent! I reffered to this at the AGM and we will try get to the bottom of it.

BTW I thought power had an excellent career!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jiffybag

Dont get me wrong , Power did have a great career , but it just went down hill very quickly. From top 10 placings in the giro to riding the Ras with Pezula . Yes , I know its not easy to get a pro contract but I think Power and Scanlon still had much more to give......

Its a shame when some of these top guys quit and walk away from the sport . We need these type of people to bring their knowledge to the table and help develop the youth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭X files

Bit said really he seems a nice guy.
    good honest remaks from Conor
    There are only a thousand or so pros worldwide so tough up there.
    Nowdays with so much testing you know what your level will be.
    If you aint got the watts per kg and drive reality is better.
    Plus the whole drug culture amongst 2nd tier cyclists / athletes isnt going away.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/french-police-carry-out-doping-operation-in-normandy
    I am sure he will be back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Another V good A1 for 2011 to watch out for ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭marcofan

you cant really compare power to scanlon. Scanlon gave it all up, it was taken away from ciaran. Ciaran definately maximise his potential more than mark

Advertisement