Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fun & Challenging Circuits in Cork

Options
  • 30-11-2010 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

In my opinion the prices of gyms in Cork have gone through the roof and at this stage I find that I just cant afford these prices!! Recently me and my friends were chatting about the need for a kind of a fitness group in cork... so were planning on setting up a circuits club...
    we plan on running circuits twice a week and then having a group run at weekends at a very low price..
    -venues would change around cork city/suburbs..to keep it interesting!!
    -circuits would vary and would be aimed at all groups
    -see it as a great way to get fit whilst having fun and meeting lots of new people
    - social nights would be organised on a continuous basis
    - a txt service would be used to help motivate and keep everyone in the loop!!
    So Corkonians out there...what ye think?? Lets be honest..were all going to get fat over xmas..but come Jan..it will be the time for resolutions again!! So lets get fit!!

'Body says no..instructor says yes'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I might be interested in this. What sort of prices are you thinking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Kentish

At the min we looking at approx 7 euro per drop in class. However we are hoping to set up a six week block starting in jan which will work out at a cheaper rate of about a fiver!! We've had a few sessions already and the reaction has been great!! Hoping to kick off in jan as we attack those turkey love handles :)

'let the games begin people'

Kentish wrote: »
    In my opinion the prices of gyms in Cork have gone through the roof .............so were planning on setting up a circuits club...
    we plan on running circuits twice a week and then having a group run at weekends at a very low price..

'Body says no..instructor says yes'
    Kentish wrote: »
    At the min we looking at approx 7 euro per drop in class.

Just to clarify, you're looking at €7 a class ?
    Once a week that's €28 per 4 week month, if folks went twice a week that's €56 per 4 week month. Doesn't sound at all like a better option over a gym from a financial viewpoint to me.

You'd get membership in countless gyms from €50 to €80 per month, many of them include free spinning, kettlebell, cardio kickboxing, shap and tone, bodypump etc etc classes.

Presumably you are making a few quid out of this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

RoverJames wrote: »
    shap and tone

Was speed reading and mis-read this as slap and tone :D
    Had momentary scary images of some sorta S&M fitness combo
    .......oops, did I say that out loud? :eek:

Actually, I saw an ad this week in one of the Cork free papers I think,
    offering single gym membership for under €40 per month.

I applaud anyone seeking to set up something new, however my own
    experience of weight loss is that with reasonably (I stress that word)
    controlled eating and a few k's walking a day (up to five), I lost a stone a month over five months this time last year. In fact I really didn't alter my fairly reasonable diet very much.....cut out the take-aways and swapped desserts and chocs for fruit......it actually felt pretty effortless.
    I enjoy the sociability of circuits / team sports etc however weight loss does not and never needed to be about Motivation weight loss clinics, gyms, home gyms or any other fad.....simply calories in & calories out.
    With the fresh air I was getting during walking, I've never slept better either.
    Sorry, went off on one :rolleyes:, my point being weight loss, if thats your goal need cost you very little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

RoverJames wrote: »
    Just to clarify, you're looking at €7 a class ?
    Once a week that's €28 per 4 week month, if folks went twice a week that's €56 per 4 week month. Doesn't sound at all like a better option over a gym from a financial viewpoint to me.

You'd get membership in countless gyms from €50 to €80 per month, many of them include free spinning, kettlebell, cardio kickboxing, shap and tone, bodypump etc etc classes.

Presumably you are making a few quid out of this ?

I pay 42 euro a month for a membership to the Mardyke (excluding the pool).

This gym has free parking, a running track, 2 pitches, 3 basketball courts, a punching bag, 3 studios, martial arts mats, gymnastics mats, a big cardio area and a free weights (with squat rack and power cage) and machine weights area.

I don't work for the Mardyke but I have to say for 42 quid a month (and free training advice) that's a better deal than 7 quid a session. 7 quid a session is what most martial arts classes (Muay Thai, BJJ etc) cost from a very experienced instructor.

I wish you the best of luck, and assuming you've got the experience to train people and keep them then I hope you succeed :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Dermighty wrote: »
    I pay 42 euro a month for a membership to the Mardyke (excluding the pool).

This gym has free parking, a running track, 2 pitches, 3 basketball courts, a punching bag, 3 studios, martial arts mats, gymnastics mats, a big cardio area and a free weights (with squat rack and power cage) and machine weights area.

I don't work for the Mardyke but I have to say for 42 quid a month (and free training advice) that's a better deal than 7 quid a session. 7 quid a session is what most martial arts classes (Muay Thai, BJJ etc) cost from a very experienced instructor.

I wish you the best of luck, and assuming you've got the experience to train people and keep them then I hope you succeed :)

+1 for the Mardyke.......and the 'lovelies' are also worth the trek ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Kentish

hey guys thanks for all the feedback!! much appreciated....
    at the moment guys we have nothing set up... in the past few weeks yes we have ran a few free sessions with groups of friends and work colleagues and the feedback has been excellent!! they all really enjoyed it..
    i agree with some of your points on gyms.. but for the past few years ive been joined gyms in galway and dublin and felt that i wanted something different..and also that i was spending too much money on these gyms..some up to 600 euro a year... i think its easier for people to make smaller commitments i.e 5/6 week block :D
    im not sure about other people but i found that i was using the gyms for the winter period..possibly up to three/four solid months and then when the weather got better...and evenings longer..i stopped going..as a result ive payed the fee for a year but by no means got value for money!! anyone else feel they do the same??
    so whilst in galway a couple of friends and I attended a sort of bootcamp club and found it to be great fun and quite a good way to get fit!! we found that we got quite competitive with each other for the circuits (which was great) and this made it fun and interesting too!We used to do them outdoors and for me i just way prefer to be training outdoors..in the end i found myself attending this more often than the gym even at a cost of a tenner per session!!
    Yes i understand that gyms have great facilities/parking/classes...however i just got bored of it all!! maybe it was the indoors or maybe it was being in the same setting three nights a week doing a programme on my own!!
    with this idea we feel we would be able to offer people something different than gyms...
    -training mostly outdoors
    - mixing up of training locations for variety
    - having a personal trainer with the group at all times
    - variety of sessions (circuits/runs/and possibly some nice surprises thrown in there)
    i also feel that people are more willing to chat to each other and make friends in this type of scenario as opposed to a gym...why..im not sure ..but ive seen it happen! therefore it adds a fun element:P
    great to hear your views....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Craicaddict87

I've just moved down from Galway and was a member of the Nuig kingfisher gym-it's true Some gyms are relatively inexpensive and have a bucket of talent in them but christ it's sooo boring. I went for the fitness assessment and had the program made out and all that jazz. It's all well and good if ya have the discipline to stick with it.

I think a class like this with a different approach and different locations could be just what we need-although 7 euro is a bit hefty,5 is more like it.

I'm looking for a more bootcamp approach to fitness-without paying the prices or big subscription of bootcamp Ireland,any ideas lads?

Advertisement