Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wage deductions after leaving job

Options
  • 30-11-2010 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi,

I recently left a job in the financial services industry.

I was told that part of the job i did needed me to have the LIA QFA exam. The company paid for 2 exams (both to be sat in Jan 2011).

I recently left that company and they are now trying to deduct the cost of the exams from my final pay pack.

There is no clause in the contract that allows this type of deduction, nor was any verbal or amended contract in place to reflect this.

I have no need for this exam now, but was told I needed it whilst employed in my previous position.

Do you think I should have to pay this?

Thanking you all in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Markdini wrote: »
    Hi,

I recently left a job in the financial services industry.

I was told that part of the job i did needed me to have the LIA QFA exam. The company paid for 2 exams (both to be sat in Jan 2011).

I recently left that company and they are now trying to deduct the cost of the exams from my final pay pack.

There is no clause in the contract that allows this type of deduction, nor was any verbal or amended contract in place to reflect this.

I have no need for this exam now, but was told I needed it whilst employed in my previous position.

Do you think I should have to pay this?

Thanking you all in advance.

If you genuinely signed nothing and there is no clause in your contract then they cannot deduct this money...

I'd be asking them to produce the documentation detailing that the money would be deducted if you left, having the documentation isn't good enough, you'd have had to sign it for it to be enforcable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I was in this situation 11 years ago.

Send a registered letter to the head of HR, cc'ing your boss. Tell them that you did not agree to any clawback of fees. Remind them that the deduction of anything wages is unlawful. Clearly state that you are demanding the balance of your wages, Give them 5 working days to pay you. Tell them if they fail to comply, that you will pass the matter on to your solicitor, and that the cost of the solicitor will be borne by the company, not you.

Don't let them jerk you around, because they will try. Give a hard deadline, and stick to it. After the 5 days get a cheap brief to write them a letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Many companies have a section on their intranet outlining fees and clawbacks policy.

If it was not brought to your attention I don't think you should be liable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    Many companies have a section on their intranet outlining fees and clawbacks policy.

If it was not brought to your attention I don't think you should be liable.

Indeed, they would need specific evidence that it was brought to OP's attention, e-mail to OP on the policy, or a signiture or something..

Advertisement