Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone lowers smartphone prices in Europe

Options
  • 30-11-2010 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭

Not sure whether this should be posted here or in the Android section

Vodafone has said it will make it cheaper for UK customers to use their smartphones when travelling in Europe.

UK customers who travel occasionally can take their domestic data plan abroad for £2 a day.

Probably will never take off in this country (hope im wrong)

Too many fat cat arse pockets to be lined

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11860582
    Customers will be able to access the new tariffs in all Vodafone's European countries, plus France, Belgium, Switzerland and Austria.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

We actually have better than this, as your data addon can be used without the extra penalty on vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Vodafone wanted to charge me 12€ daily for just 10 seconds data download in the Eu this summer, they are making it prohibitive Davy
    I had a 1gb add on with my bill pay phone, it was null and void when abroad along with my 100 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

bogman wrote: »
    Vodafone wanted to charge me 12€ daily for just 10 seconds data download in the Eu this summer, they are making it prohibitive Davy
    I had a 1gb add on with my bill pay phone, it was null and void when abroad along with my 100 minutes

That's what happens if you don't check the pricing before going abroad. You were using the ISP APN which has pricing as above, but the Live! APN is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

But thats prepay, this whole £2 thing is for billpay data addons, thats what I meant by my earlier post as you are allowed use your Live allowance while roaming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

No need for apologies man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

I've had no end of problems with VF recently (the dimwits at the 1907 centre to be precise). From a contract upgrade that went pearshaped to being charged €180 for the phantom purchase of a mobile handset which I cancelled via 1907 as they could not deliver after over 3 weeks waiting. I received my bill and apart from the charges for the handset, the 'new contract, I found 2x €12 charges for a sum total of 6 (six) kb data roaming (1x 2kb and 1x4kb).
    I phoned them to complain about the whole bill and was told (actual words used) that they apply the €12 daily rate because otherwise I would be ripped off with the exhorbitant data charges. In all honesty I cannot even remember using data in 1 let alone 2 occasions, but IMHO €24 is a HUGE rip-off for 6kb!!!!
    Long story short, I managed to sort it out - from €297 down to €36!!!

I now need to resolve the data roaming issue before I next travel.

Last week I went into the VF shop at Liffey Valley and got an N8 with an upgraded plan that included 1Gb data.
    As the phone was unbranded and unlocked there are no settings to set the APN to Live!
    Currently when I use the internet, it goes through Vodafone ISP (I presume it is my old 1Gb ISP Promo add-on, until my new contract kicks in).
    How do I change it to Live! so I only get charged 99c? Do I need to or is it automatic?
    (sorry for the long moaning post)

Italia wrote: »
    Currently when I use the internet, it goes through Vodafone ISP (I presume it is my old 1Gb ISP Promo add-on, until my new contract kicks in).
    How do I change it to Live! so I only get charged 99c? Do I need to or is it automatic?
    (sorry for the long moaning post)

Its not automatic. You can prioritise the APN's in menu> settings > connectivity > settings > destinations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Just want to reiterate here that I am a billpay customer with Vodafone and discussed internet data usage with them before I went on holidays abroad last summer, I was told that there was a daily charge of 12€ cant remember the exact cap, think it was 50mb but this charge applied even if I logged on for 1 minute

• Advertisement

bogman wrote: »
    Just want to reiterate here that I am a billpay customer with Vodafone and discussed internet data usage with them before I went on holidays abroad last summer, I was told that there was a daily charge of 12€ cant remember the exact cap, think it was 50mb but this charge applied even if I logged on for 1 minute

But thats their pricing of ISP abroad, using 'Live' is the same as at home. Im not sure what to tell you.

The info in the first post isnt related to billpay for irish customers. Is this getting confusing?

Billpay live customers - same as at home
    Billpay ISP customers - daily rate €12

PAYG live - 99cent for 50MB + new €2 daily charge

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Thanks for the location.
    Any idea of what the actual setting is? Do I just add something like live.vodafone.com?
    Alternatively, where can I look how to set it up ? - I find the VF site very user unfriendly :(
    Davy wrote: »
    Its not automatic. You can prioritise the APN's in menu> settings > connectivity > settings > destinations

All the details you need are in the FAQ here:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59855432&postcount=40

Advertisement