Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what to charge for calendar images?

• 30-11-2010 8:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭

i was a bit suspect of this at first but i checked him out and all his details were legit - basically a guy with a printing business in the UK has a client originally from round here where i live and yer man wants to make a corporate calender for his clients with images from mayo. the printer guy wants to ''buy'' 20 of my photos to show him and let him choose whatever 13 he'd like in the calendar.

this all sounds spiffing - but what should i be charging? obviously i don't want to be taken the piss out of here and i have no idea what the going rate would be :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

why not create a slideshow with 20images (not suitable for print) and let him choose from that.

I'd be more inclined to keep hold of my images until I'm after clearing a cheque and get the other side to sign a contract limiting them to exactly what they pay for. (ie. for 1 print run of X amount of calendars)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

yeah, i'm not really bothered about the terms as such, i was just wondering about how much the going rate for that amount of images would be. like, say for instance the print run is 500, etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

knowing how many calendars he sells would be a good way of telling you how much to ask. if it's only a few hundred, your options are limited. i know someone who used to charge 10k per calendar, for the american domestic market, per country.

depends on how you value your images!!

- if they are making calendars for sale (despite what they tell you) - they will be making a big profit from your images.

- if they print multiple "runs" of the calendar - they could be making profit year on year.

- if you sell the images - you might also giving them exclusive rights (to use the images whatever way they want)

why not ask for €100 per image (which is cheap in commercial terms) - they might turn around and tell you its too high...it comes down to them wanting your "work" and if they are willing to pay for it.... if they say its too high - you could try bargain - asking them how much they want to pay and haggle to find a fair compromise.

Personally I would sell them at a reasonable price - but on strict conditions - written in a contract - if they breach the conditions - legal action straight away.

oh - maybe i wasn't clear in the op? the guy who contacted me is the printer. he has a client who wants him to print these calendars so he can give them away as a corporate gift type thing. so it's not really a calendar for profit type thing, iykwim. the printer [and me!] will be the ones making the profit, lol.

• Advertisement

artyeva wrote: »
    oh - maybe i wasn't clear in the op? the guy who contacted me is the printer. he has a client who wants him to print these calendars so he can give them away as a corporate gift type thing. so it's not really a calendar for profit type thing, iykwim. the printer [and me!] will be the ones making the profit, lol.

without sounding like a conspiracy theorist .... thats just what he's telling you !! ...it sounds a bit dodgy to me ....I mean ... if he has a client who wants a calendar made - surely its up to the client to choose images and obtain them for the printer.... I've never heard of a printer sourcing images for a client....drop Steve (stcstc) a PM and ask his advice.

if you trust him(the printer) - quote him for usage - if you want to charge him €50 per image....€200....€500 for a set ...its up to you !!

Personally I would take a look at what prices the NUJ in England suggest http://www.londonfreelance.org/feesguide/photo.html

its a question of how much do you value your work !!!
    - do you think your 13/20 images are worth €1000 in total or .... €10 per image... €20 per image.... €50 per image....if its possible - calculate how many days you went out taking all the images, how much your equipment cost etc .... remember they are very unlikely to EVER get the same lighting conditions and position for your images.... they could hire a pro to goto the same area but he/she might not be able to reproduce your image.

PCPhoto wrote: »
    without sounding like a conspiracy theorist .... thats just what he's telling you !! ...it sounds a bit dodgy to me ....I mean ... if he has a client who wants a calendar made - surely its up to the client to choose images and obtain them for the printer.... I've never heard of a printer sourcing images for a client....drop Steve (stcstc) a PM and ask his advice.

really? god, i was being a bit naiive then, eh?!

thanks for the advice PC, i'll suss it out a bit more. i'm too trusting. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

you should check out the alamy price calculator

you might be surprised how much people pay agencies for images

and the reason generally people come to places like boards and flickr etc instead of approaching pros, it to save a whole heap of money on what it would cost the buy images through a traditional channel

Advertisement