Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ucd Arts

Options
  • 30-11-2010 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

This forum has a Science thread, so why not a Arts thread??:D

Hopefully this thread will prove popular and a place where all UCD Arts students can talk about Arts related matters(i.e acedemic problems, subjects and exams).

It might also be helpful for future Arts student who need advice.

Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Yes.

In before the "lol arts" brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Woooooooooooo Arts. Let's get drunk. lolololol

On a serious note, I'm in second year, Sociology major, psychology minor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

I despise the LOL arts thing. Its so incredibly stupid and small-minded.

I was in Quinn today for the first time in a while..... my God it is so much nicer than the Newman Building. It had natural light!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I know I was doing a group presentation and we used the study rooms. It's so much nice there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

kev9100 wrote: »
    I despise the LOL arts thing. Its so incfedibly stupid and small-minded.

I was in Quinn today for the first time in a while..... my God it is so much nicer than the Newman Building. It had natural light!!:eek:

I hate Quinn. It reminds me of a hospital, all bright lights and a very sterile environment.

The Newman building has history and character. Many famous figures have passed through the place. Theres a lot more activity in the place and it has a good vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

kev9100 wrote: »
    This forum has a Science thread, so why not a Arts thread??:D

Hopefully this thread will prove popular and a place where all UCD Arts students can talk about Arts related matters(i.e acedemic problems, subjects and exams).

It might also be helpful for future Arts student who need advice.

Anyone?

LOL Arts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

The Newman building smells funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

2nd year Arts myself, doing Geography and Politics.

The degree is pointless though. Unfortunately.

Doing Sociology and will be Politics next semester.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Hillerz69

OMG arts in UCD is da biggest loada ****e!! Dats da reason i dropped out last ye after 2 months BIGGEST mistake of my life goin there ... Now im in WIT and Lovin it!! =]

Hillerz69 wrote: »
    OMG arts in UCD is da biggest loada ****e!! Dats da reason i dropped out last ye after 2 months BIGGEST mistake of my life goin there ... Now im in WIT and Lovin it!! =]

Take it you weren't studying English then? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

[MOD NOTE]

This isn't a 'bash Arts' thread; this is a thread for Arts students to talk about their studies and social outlets, free of the abuse they will doubtless endure in job interviews for the rest of their lives.

No Arts bashing please.

[/MOD NOTE]

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Is anyone doing ECON10010 Principles of Micro-economics? I'm finding it tough enough, especially understanding how a lot of the graphs are drawn. Sometimes it's hard to know even where the figures come from!

Is anyone doing ECON10010 Principles of Micro-economics? I'm finding it tough enough, especially understanding how a lot of the graphs are drawn. Sometimes it's hard to know even where the figures come from!

Failed it last year! Repeating it now, but really havn't gone to many of the lectures :o

Try quantative economics :(

It's not looking good for me in the upcoming exam. How much and whats the procedure for repeating? (Just in case)

Macroeconomics on the other hand is a piece of piss. Should get a B.
    Have microeconomics to look forward to next semester.

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Try quantative economics :(

It's not looking good for me in the upcoming exam. How much and whats the procedure for repeating? (Just in case)

Macroeconomics on the other hand is a piece of piss. Should get a B.
    Have microeconomics to look forward to next semester.

I dunno, I got a C+ in Quants, did well in Macro (can't remeber the grade) and then somehow spectaculary failed Micro!

It costs €230 to repeat it!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭meathawk

This isn't to bash arts, I mean I couldn't imagine studying anything else. One point I'd like to make is that if you enter DN012 like I did, even if you know people entering it aswell but doing different subjects, it's a very lonely course I find. Music, seems like a very sociable subject but sociology ironically is the loneliest subject. It consists of isolated 3-4 person cliques everywhere and if you aren't in social science, the social aspect is non-existant. The tutorials aren't worth marks anymore so people tend not to turn up.

Newman was freezing today. Did they not turn the heat on or something?

I thought it was warm. L wasn't cold for Soc10010 today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Note that we have an economics forum ;), if you're stuck on a question or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

HA! So the war begins!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭alois

very true, the only people i know in my major, i know from the societies i joined. societies and clubs are the only way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

[MOD NOTE]

This isn't a 'bash Arts' thread; this is a thread for Arts students to talk about their studies and social outlets, free of the abuse they will doubtless endure in job interviews for the rest of their lives.

No Arts bashing please.

[/MOD NOTE]

When I started the UCD Science thread there was none of this "Ba! Science, what a loada nerds!". It just turned into a proper discussion about Science, academic stuff and the general goings on in UCD science (mind you I believe computer science students have mostly hijacked the thread by now). Anyway, there is such a stigma attached to Arts in UCD that I can only imagine this thread turning into an Arts bashing thread of sorts or just where Arts students bemoan the fact that they picked Arts in the first place and perhaps contemplate what they're going to do after their degree. No offense but if the general societal stigma to Arts degrees doesn't change, especially in UCD, then that is the only way I expect this thread to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

When I started the UCD Science thread there was none of this "Ba! Science, what a loada nerds!". It just turned into a proper discussion about Science, academic stuff and the general goings on in UCD science (mind you I believe computer science students have mostly hijacked the thread by now). Anyway, there is such a stigma attached to Arts in UCD that I can only imagine this thread turning into an Arts bashing thread of sorts or just where Arts students bemoan the fact that they picked Arts in the first place and perhaps contemplate what they're going to do after their degree. No offense but if the general societal stigma to Arts degrees doesn't change, especially in UCD, then that is the only way I expect this thread to go.

Possibly, but before I lock this thread due to it becoming a troll-fest of arts-bashing, I first intend to have banned users piled up around me like sandbags.

I see where people are coming from but you have to make an effort in all subjects especially Arts. Tbh, if you want this debate start another thread because the Science Thread is going grand and didn't have any problems and I don't think it is fair that the Arts thread has to be the opposite.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Just ignore anyone that bashes arts! Engaging in degree snobbery says a lot about that person's attitude and personality, and those people are usually not worth the font that replies to their posts are typed with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Before this derails into anarchy perhaps we could find some common ground. There used to be a great comraderie here between history students (class of 2009) and there was a megathread of discussions between a group of us, usually at 4am with an essay due at 11 that friday ;).

I am finished in Arts myself, I did History and Geography and finished in 2009 and did an M.A. in Geography last year. I'm back in UCD again doing secondary teaching. I had no problem finding work during my B.A. and worked in banking for 2 years up until August of this year. The degree bore no relevance to my role but showed I was a good worker etc.

So what about the rest of ye? What subject are you doing? What has the B.A. gotten you?

There is such a stigma attached to Arts in UCD that I can only imagine this thread turning into an Arts bashing thread of sorts or just where Arts students bemoan the fact that they picked Arts in the first place and perhaps contemplate what they're going to do after their degree. No offense but if the general societal stigma to Arts degrees doesn't change, especially in UCD, then that is the only way I expect this thread to go.

Just to be clear, that was most certainly NOT my intention when I started the thread. I just thought it would be a good idea to have a thread for Arts Students to chat and I have every hope that it will be like that:).

[QUOTE=delta_bravo;69329694So what about the rest of ye? What subject are you doing? What has the B.A. gotten you?[/QUOTE]

For the most part, I like it. My majors are French and History and I do Politics and Sociolodgy as well. I have found Arts a bit more difficult than I originally thought(especially French Lit.) and there is quite a lot of reading too. My only real problem with Arts is that there are just so many students and if you don't live on camus it can be difficult to make a solid group of friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

So what about the rest of ye? What subject are you doing? What has the B.A. gotten you?

I finished up the BA last year with an Economics and Geography joint major and am now doing the MA in Geography.

Arts undergrads are incredibly short changed in the service they recieve and you can really see this when you go from BA to MA.

I hope to get work in my field but if I didn't, I think the skills I have picked up in this MA, which is incredibly time and work intensive, would stand to me in any field.

Advertisement