Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ucd Arts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 doly

alois wrote: »
    i'm not sure about past papers, they said themselves they wouldn't be much use with the exam this year being based on a different core book... textbook is your best bet
    It's a lot more than just a new course book. The course was completely remodelled, the reading list is different and the lecturer and tutor both said keep away from past papers as they would only confuse.
    I am hoping that a couple of topics from each of the lecturers from the 2nd half of the course should cover the essay question. In reality, I will only get one each done. There's a very wide choice of questions for the short answers so that shouldn't be a problem.
    It's v. difficult and demotivating, though, without any guidance about how the questions will be framed,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

A good-old fashioned bump for the new semester.

So how is everyone setling into the new semester?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

kev9100 wrote: »
    A good-old fashioned bump for the new semester.

So how is everyone setling into the new semester?

Good, so far!

Just recieved a letter from UCD saying I owe them €400... Thought I paid all my fees :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Good, so far!

Just recieved a letter from UCD saying I owe them €400... Thought I paid all my fees :(

You can check your account at any time on your SIS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jw93

Just wondering would it be very difficult to do geography if you had not studied it for the leaving cert?

Thanks,
    Jack

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

jw93 wrote: »
    Just wondering would it be very difficult to do geography if you had not studied it for the leaving cert?

Thanks,
    Jack

Not at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 TheCrimsonClown

Quick CAO related question:

I want to put down English/History as a choice. Now according to the UCD site, that's DN500/ENH. But you can only enter up to five characters for each course on the CAO site, so what should I put down?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Quick CAO related question:

I want to put down English/History as a choice. Now according to the UCD site, that's DN500/ENH. But you can only enter up to five characters for each course on the CAO site, so what should I put down?

Put it down as DN012 then pick English and History. It will work and you will be automatically registered for those two modules if you get Arts in UCD next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 TheCrimsonClown

unknown13 wrote: »
    Put it down as DN012 then pick English and History. It will work and you will be automatically registered for those two modules if you get Arts in UCD next year.

Just tried that, it says it's not a valid course. :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Can anyone registered to ECON10020 Principles of Macroeconomics see the Lecture Notes for the course? I swear all of them were up a few days ago, now I can't see any of them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Can anyone registered to ECON10020 Principles of Macroeconomics see the Lecture Notes for the course? I swear all of them were up a few days ago, now I can't see any of them!

Maybe they were the notes for a previous semester and have been taken down.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Maybe they were the notes for a previous semester and have been taken down.

That's what I assumed, because the course is offered in Semester 1. I have e-mailed him, but he won't read it until tomorrow at the earliest. It's not a big deal, only I have access to the printer now before I move back to Dublin. Sure I'll just print them in UCD :)

Thanks for answering :)

Interestingly Introduction to Financial Accounting has all the lecture notes uploaded for the whole semester, and it wasn't offered in Semester 1. The lecturer seems very organised, which is always a good thing :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

Possibly, but before I lock this thread due to it becoming a troll-fest of arts-bashing, I first intend to have banned users piled up around me like sandbags.

Well you yourself set the tone for arts-bashing on the first page.

When I started the UCD Science thread there was none of this "Ba! Science, what a loada nerds!". It just turned into a proper discussion about Science, academic stuff and the general goings on in UCD science (mind you I believe computer science students have mostly hijacked the thread by now). Anyway, there is such a stigma attached to Arts in UCD that I can only imagine this thread turning into an Arts bashing thread of sorts or just where Arts students bemoan the fact that they picked Arts in the first place and perhaps contemplate what they're going to do after their degree. No offense but if the general societal stigma to Arts degrees doesn't change, especially in UCD, then that is the only way I expect this thread to go.

I've actually been pleasantly surprised on how this thread has turned out. Almost no LOL Arts stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭justified

I'm about to fill out my CAO in the next few days(i'm in 6th yr) and i want to put ucd arts as my first choice but i'm a bit bothered with the whole stigma associated with ucd arts i could get the points for the same course in TCD but I went to both open days and prefered ucd :) I know it shouldn't stop me putting it first but im getting cold feet a little! I presume once your in it you forget about all that stuff?? any advice/reasurance welcome ;) im thinking of doing a joint honour with french & sociology.

I'm not sure about the difference between UCD and TCD, but isn't TCD a 4-year course, instead of 3-years like UCD. I'm not saying that Trinity is better for Arts, as I don't know, but the fact that there's an extra years work probably makes some difference - no? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I've actually been pleasantly surprised on how this thread has turned out. Almost no LOL Arts stuff.

Thats because we needed a mod warning in the opening page to cut out that búllshít.

justified wrote: »
    I'm about to fill out my CAO in the next few days(i'm in 6th yr) and i want to put ucd arts as my first choice but i'm a bit bothered with the whole stigma associated with ucd arts i could get the points for the same course in TCD but I went to both open days and prefered ucd :) I know it shouldn't stop me putting it first but im getting cold feet a little! I presume once your in it you forget about all that stuff?? any advice/reasurance welcome ;) im thinking of doing a joint honour with french & sociology.

First of all, congratulations on thinking of doing French! I'm in first year and thats one of my majors. Ignore all that LOL arts stuff. Most of the people who do it don't do arts, know nothing about arts and are just looking for cheap laughs. As for your subjects, as I'va already said French is my major and sociolodgy used to be my minor. Although both are good sujects, neither of these classes are the most socialable (especially sociolodgy). French, on the whole, is a good course but French literature can seem quite daunting at first and the first semester language course probably is a bit basic. Sociolodgy is a bit of a mixture. Some people love it and some hate it. One the most common criticisms about it is that its tough to get to know people as the lectures are pretty big and theres not many tutorials.

If you have any questions feel free to send me a PM:)

@**timbuk2** you're right about the extra yr in tcd but that doesn't bother me too much as I plan to do primary teaching as a postgrad either here or in the UK so that doesn't matter hugely to me.

@kev9100 Firstly thanks for the reassurance about "ucd arts LOL" etc it's good to hear that from a UCD arts student. I have heard that sociology isn't too friendly but i'm counting on the fact that i'm pretty outgoing and don't find it difficult to make friends. I also plan to join lots of socs/sports etc so i'm not too worried! It's really good to find someone who has experience in the courses i'm interested in :)

I have a twin in St. Pat's Drumcondra doing Humanities/Arts (3 year BA) and is hoping to do a Primary School Teaching Postgraduate afterwards too! He likes it there, as far as I know!

• Advertisement

@kev9100 Firstly thanks for the reassurance about "ucd arts LOL" etc it's good to hear that from a UCD arts student. I have heard that sociology isn't too friendly but i'm counting on the fact that i'm pretty outgoing and don't find it difficult to make friends. I also plan to join lots of socs/sports etc so i'm not too worried! It's really good to find someone who has experience in the courses i'm interested in :)

Societies can be a great way to make friends alright. I feel like I'm kind of bombarding you with advice here:o but if you do go to UCD and join societies, make sure you go to the first few events. Even if you don't know anyone else going, just go. I made the mistake of not going to events and it took me a while to find a solid group of friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bonnerver

Hey..Is anyone doing German through Arts?? I was hoping to do it next year in UCD and was wondering about the step up from Leaving Cert to studying it at Uni level. Also ive been out of Education for a few years now so any advice regarding picking up the language again would be much apprecated.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭alois

Hey, if you have clear and deep understanding of what your subject choice involves i would choose Trinity. Simply seen (unjustly) by many to be the better degree. HOWEVER had i gotten Trinity, I would be doing a degree that does not interest me in the slightest; simple as. Arts here gave me the possibility of trying subjects out.

Societies can be a great way to make friends alright. I feel like I'm kind of bombarding you with advice here:o but if you do go to UCD and join societies, make sure you go to the first few events. Even if you don't know anyone else going, just go. I made the mistake of not going to events and it took me a while to find a solid group of friends.

No you're not bombarding me at all! The more advice the better imo :)

Actually thinking of doing French and Music now, anyone have any experience of the music course or know what it's like?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Actually thinking of doing French and Music now, anyone have any experience of the music course or know what it's like?

As a joint major it's pretty good. Good lecturers, interesting topics (well, mostly. Theory is undeniably boring as hell though), very manageable work loads. I would certainly recommend :)

I've no experience with the single major, but by all accounts it seems to be positive too.

As a joint major it's pretty good. Good lecturers, interesting topics (well, mostly. Theory is undeniably boring as hell though), very manageable work loads. I would certainly recommend :)

I've no experience with the single major, but by all accounts it seems to be positive too.

Ah sure I suppose theory is always going to be boring :rolleyes:

just to clarify doing music in UCD doesn't require an extra entrance test/audition/interview does it? I don't want to be caught out after the CAO deadline for that!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Ah sure I suppose theory is always going to be boring :rolleyes:

just to clarify doing music in UCD doesn't require an extra entrance test/audition/interview does it? I don't want to be caught out after the CAO deadline for that!

To be fair, it's not exactly an aspect of music that can be "jazzed up" or made more interesting. It is what it is :pac:. That said, if you've ever done theory outside school (like with ABRSM) then you'll find it a cakewalk anyway.

If you're doing music through the arts omnibus (DN012) then no, there's no entrance exams/auditions. Maybe that's changed with the introduction of the single major (as I know those guys gotta do auditions now) but I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭meathawk

Fellas, I need help. I can't do sociology anymore, it's useless. I am almost certain that at least 60% of it is made up. I do geography aswell and that's going very well. I am in stage 2, 2nd year and apparently Geography can't be taken as a single major or even the major or a major/minor combination. I need to find some way to eliminate Sociology from the rest of my degree. I am desperate!

• Advertisement

To be fair, it's not exactly an aspect of music that can be "jazzed up" or made more interesting. It is what it is :pac:.

Well said, you've hit the nail on the head. ;)

I was planning to do it through the "BA joint honours full time" (DN500)

Advertisement