Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ucd Arts

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

meathawk wrote: »
    Fellas, I need help. I can't do sociology anymore, it's useless. I am almost certain that at least 60% of it is made up. I do geography aswell and that's going very well. I am in stage 2, 2nd year and apparently Geography can't be taken as a single major or even the major or a major/minor combination. I need to find some way to eliminate Sociology from the rest of my degree. I am desperate!

Only option I can think of off the top of my head is to repeat second year next year with a different second subject. Will be expensive though as you'll be paying fees.

As always, contact the programme office!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

justified wrote: »
    Well said, you've hit the nail on the head. ;)

I was planning to do it through the "BA joint honours full time" (DN500)

That must be new. Is that the one where you pick your subjects before entering UCD? I don't think you've to audition or interview for that either, but I'm not certain. I'll check it out for you when I'm in music tomorrow if I think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭meathawk

Good news everyone, programming office said there might be a full geography major next year for 2011-2012 and I could get into a major/minor type situation which would be better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭justified

That must be new. Is that the one where you pick your subjects before entering UCD? I don't think you've to audition or interview for that either, but I'm not certain. I'll check it out for you when I'm in music tomorrow if I think of it.

Yeah that's the one, thanks in advance if you do think of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

One more bump for the end of the semester. How did the semester go? Have people started studying yet?

Personally, I thought the second semester was much better than the first. My timetable was less hellish and UCD has definitely grown on me:).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

kev9100 wrote: »
    One more bump for the end of the semester. How did the semester go? Have people started studying yet?

Personally, I thought the second semester was much better than the first. My timetable was less hellish and UCD has definitely grown on me:).

Iv been far more busy this semester with extra-curricular activities as compared to last, but my assignment results have been far better . . . think I am getting used to things at this stage! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭pbffan

I'm doing the leaving in June and Psychology as part of the Arts degree in UCD is right up there on my CAO. Seeing as I have nothing to do for the summer I'm just wondering if there would be any books I could read or something to help me hit the ground running next year? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Iv been far more busy this semester with extra-curricular activities as compared to last, but my assignment results have been far better . . . think I am getting used to things at this stage! :)

Thats probably the one thing I regret about first year: I didn't really get involved in any extra-curricular stuff. I'll have to do something next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

pbffan wrote: »
    I'm doing the leaving in June and Psychology as part of the Arts degree in UCD is right up there on my CAO. Seeing as I have nothing to do for the summer I'm just wondering if there would be any books I could read or something to help me hit the ground running next year? :)

Booklearnin will get ya nowhere boy.

Honestly no, enjoy your summer. Plenty of time for the staidear when you get here. Unless you're doing english, maybe just read a few novels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭pbffan

Booklearnin will get ya nowhere boy.

Honestly no, enjoy your summer. Plenty of time for the staidear when you get here. Unless you're doing english, maybe just read a few novels.

Come Dine With Me & Countdown marathons every single day, quelle vie!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jessica_k_11

So I want to study the arts degree at UCD, I'm planning on doing Spanish and Music. I was wondering if anybody could tell me, in order to study music at third level, do I have to have a real good knowledge of the subject? (I only do it as an extra subject, and don't have classes much!) Any answer would be appreciated! :)

You might find the theory difficult to grasp with no prior background or formal training, but work hard and you can do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jessica_k_11

Cheers for that! My theory is pretty crap, seeing I hadn't studied it for Junior Cert and only doing it like once a moth for Leaving Cert. Pretty worried about it. 50% practical done and I'm really happy with how i did. Do you study Music now? Would you recommend it or is it really difficult?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 iAmStacysMom

Would anyone be able to tell me how many subjects I can take on in my first year of the BA?
    You can take up to four in NUIG, and I'm wondering if it's the same in UCD. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Would anyone be able to tell me how many subjects I can take on in my first year of the BA?
    You can take up to four in NUIG, and I'm wondering if it's the same in UCD. :)

Yeah you can do that in UCD Arts as well. In fact, it is more flexible with regards to subject selection. This is taken from the short guide to the BA which is found here: http://www.ucd.ie/acshs/babooklet2010.pdf.
    There are many ways that you may complete Stage 1.

You may chose three subjects from the BA Programme with 20 credits in each. This is the traditional pathway for the BA - one that your parents and perhaps older siblings would know -and is still available. Most of you then major in two of these subjects at Stage 2, although some may decide to concentrate on a single subject. In choosing your subjects, you may chose only 1 subject from each of the subject groups.You may also choose two subjects of 20 credits each and two subjects of 10 credits each. These must be taken from separate subject groups. A 10 credit subject will be a subset of the 20 credit subject but taking only 10 credits gives you more choice. Be careful, however, that in taking 10 credits in a subject that you note that subject's requirements for Stage 2. You could find yourself not being able to progress in that subject because you missed a requirement of the School.
    A variation on the option above is to choose two subjects of 20 credits each, one subject of 10 credits and then take two 5-credit elective modules either from the BA programme or from any other undergraduate programme in the University.

We recommend that you take at least one 20 credit subject at Stage 1. However, it is possible to take 10 credits in each of 6 subjects, as long as you pick one subject from each group. This is at the limits of choice and we believe that it needs careful thought. The choice is appealing but it is very demanding.

It also requires careful planning to ensure that it is possible to meet the entry requirements for Stage 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Anyone do that Geographical Research and Techniques module?

I got an A+!!

Chuffed :D

Cheers for that! My theory is pretty crap, seeing I hadn't studied it for Junior Cert and only doing it like once a moth for Leaving Cert. Pretty worried about it. 50% practical done and I'm really happy with how i did. Do you study Music now? Would you recommend it or is it really difficult?

I do, yeah. I did Music for JC and LC, as well as music theory outside school (got my grade 7 with ABRSM before I ever set foot in UCD), and I found it easy enough to begin with, but it got kinda difficult after a while even for me. Tbh I think you'll struggle with it if you don't learn some theory before you go (what you learn in the LC is negligible really). Pick up the ABRSM theory books for grades 1-5 and have a flick through them over the summer (there's a little pink book that explains the stuff pretty well, and workbooks you can get for each grade). They'll help you out a great deal before you get started in university.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Pawsome54

To be honest, its not 100% necessary to be great at music theory when you come to UCD as they assume very little previous knowledge literally take it from the ground up. It's a really fun course and one of the few ones where you'll be able to make friends easily due to smaller, more intimate classes and frequent nights out. I did English, Music, Classics and a couple of other electives in 1st year and Music was by far the most enjoyable course I did.

One piece of advice though, for the theory classes they have it divided up into 2 groups, one for pretty much complete beginners and one for people who have a basic idea of what they're talking about. Which class you get into is decided on the basis of a short exam that you take on one of the first days, and I'd recommend trying to get into the more advanced class big time. The beginners class have to go to class from 4-6pm on both tuesday and thursday, whereas the other one only have to go to the theory class on a tuesday. And also, Julian Horton (the lecturer for the more advanced class) is a really nice guy who surprisingly does make the theory fun. He spent pretty much one entire lecture jammin out some jazz guitar! Really enjoyable classes.

Anyway to summarize, music in UCD is great craic, do it and you won't regret it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Anyone do that Geographical Research and Techniques module?

I got an A+!!

Chuffed :D

Yeah so did I :D. It seems as if everyone scored very high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

thinking of doing economics and history arts in ucd :D any advice? :)

• Advertisement

Don't!

Just kidding :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

thinking of doing economics and history arts in ucd :D any advice? :)

Don't know about Economics but I did History as a major, what kind of advice do you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

1st year economics is grand. 2nd year economics is very tough. 3rd year economics is easier than 2nd year but still tough. Well thats my personal experience anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    1st year economics is grand. 2nd year economics is very tough. 3rd year economics is easier than 2nd year but still tough. Well thats my personal experience anyway.

Did you do Intermediate Microeconomics? If so, what did you think of it? I'm considering taking it as an elective. I'm doing Actuarial and Financial Studies so did Principles of Micro but I didn't find it that easy - managed an A+ through hard work, but I'm worried I'll find Micro too difficult!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

Thanks for both replies. Well basically I want to know if the degree is worth it? I keep changing my mind and as I do both subjects in school and as I enjoy both, I decided to continue with them in 3rd level. I love history, but Economics would be my strongest subject (aiming for the A1..hopefully.) Many people have told me while Economics is worthwhile, History is useless degree (although I completely disagree) Others have told me that both together will be very tough and demanding.
    Does History follow the same layout as leaving cert? Like essays, research, ect?
    And is economics similar to the Leaving Cert? I've heard some horror stories about people continuosly failing their economic exams.
    Also, is UCD the best for Arts in Ireland? Im considering Trinity too as there is another course there that I could easily trasfer to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Thanks for both replies. Well basically I want to know if the degree is worth it? I keep changing my mind and as I do both subjects in school and as I enjoy both, I decided to continue with them in 3rd level. I love history, but Economics would be my strongest subject (aiming for the A1..hopefully.) Many people have told me while Economics is worthwhile, History is useless degree (although I completely disagree) Others have told me that both together will be very tough and demanding.
    Does History follow the same layout as leaving cert? Like essays, research, ect?
    And is economics similar to the Leaving Cert? I've heard some horror stories about people continuosly failing their economic exams.
    Also, is UCD the best for Arts in Ireland? Im considering Trinity too as there is another course there that I could easily trasfer to.

Do Geography instead of History, it's less labour intensive and very interesting (you're never sure how you're marks will go in History because it's very subjective, whereas Geography as long as you put the work in you can do really well, it's really not uncommon to get a 1st in Geography but be brought down by History). In arts, every subject is like the way you've described History; essays, research etc... You'll have exams, and in Economics you'll have midterm exams, but it's nothing to get worked up about just yet. People fail because they're lazy and don't put the work in, that's their problem. UCD is pretty good, there are some pretty good lecturers in Economics (Cormac O'Grada springs to mind), History is pretty okay (whatever you do, do a module that has Declan Downey and/or Diarmaid Ferriter down as the instructor, they're guaranteed to interest you, brilliant lecturers). TCD is grand, either place really is as good as the other.

Did you do Intermediate Microeconomics? If so, what did you think of it? I'm considering taking it as an elective. I'm doing Actuarial and Financial Studies so did Principles of Micro but I didn't find it that easy - managed an A+ through hard work, but I'm worried I'll find Micro too difficult!

The year I done Micro the swine flu fecked up the module so we had a 100% exam and results ended up being inflated because of the overall bad marks. Its nothing like Principles as it is ALL maths which will probably suit you much more. If you put the work in you will do well. One of the lecturers was hard to hear correctly but the other two were fine. Its an interesting module and will provide the basic maths used for most undergrad economics and it is taken by a lot of actuaries. Statistics for Economist is a module where an actuary will get an easy A+ as its mostly basic probability and the legendary Morgan Kelly used to teach it when I did so it is always interesting.

Leaving Cert economics is nothing like under grad economics. Similarly leaving cert history is nothing like third level history but if you have an interest in the two subjects it shouldn't put you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Unless it has changed since I did it the core History modules are marked as follows: 30% essay 1, 60% essay 2 or 60% exam. The remaining 10% is for attendance and contribution. You don't have much choice module wise in 1st year, but it gets slightly more flexible in 2nd and 3rd year when you have option modules to choose from. You could end up stuck doing core modules in areas you have no interest in (for instance I prefer the later modern period so wasn't that wild about the Barbarianism and Viking modules). Research wise there would be a bit of reading needed for essays, etc, but it doesn't necessarily mean you have to read a whole book. The actual modules can vary from year to year.

The workload can be a bit demanding, the best advice I can give is to plan ahead, they usually give you decent notice of essay titles (which are often due within a week of other History modules you may be doing) so I wouldn't leave it to the last minute to avoid a "build up". Perhaps one of the difference between College History and the LC is that you'll be asked to give your opinion more, etc, in essays and the like.

Unless you do pure History (which you wouldn't be is your doing it with Economics) there's no final thesis/personal research project.

If you haven't seen it this might be useful:

http://www.ucd.ie/t4cms/SchofHA_Handbook_2010-11.pdf

As for History being useless I suppose that's a matter of perspective. Certainly it's not geared towards any particular job unless you go on to do teaching, but then again not many Arts subjects are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Rosita

By and large, yes.

'Documents' questions in third level will tend to be assignment based requiring far borader engagement as opposed to the pseudo-comprehenion stuff on the LC paper. That is the big difference.

The following questions (from the LC 2010 paper) could be very easily imagined, word for word, on a UCD exam paper.

During the period 1949-1959, how successful were the social and economic policies of Irish governments?

How effective was Seán Lemass as Taoiseach in his management of internal and external affairs?

What were the main challenges facing Irish governments in the 1970s and 1980s, and how well did they deal with them?

The big difference is that you would be expected to show evidence of broad reading in your answers at third level. Somebody said that you will be expected to give your opinion more at third level - this really means being able to skilfully and forcefully argue your opinon based on your knowledge.

But, in a nutshell, anyone who really enjoys History at LC level will enjoy third-level.

Advertisement