Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ucd Arts

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sean1976

Hi can anyone help me with some information. I have been offered a arts degree place in history and politics in UCD but I have also been offered a place in NUI Maynooth for a B.C.L Law and Arts. These are my final two from the five offers I have got. I am finding it very difficult to choose which course to take.Has anyone done international and political relations in ucd and how did they find it.
    The lazy option for me is to pick ucd as I live in Dundrum. Any information would be welcome thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

You can get an undergraduate qualification in one place and postgraduate qualification in another if you wish, or you can stay in your home institution. As Mardy Bum says Dublin University's MA is called an M.Phil, but it's the same thing (Mardy is a tad off about the price, duration and purpose of masters programmes however)

I think I was pretty spot on with price and year. It is for voting privileges in Oxbridge system.
    Bachelors of the University of at least three years’ standing may proceed to the degree of Master in Arts. The degree may be conferred at any Commencements Session. In 2012/13, the fee for conferral of the M.A. degree is €637 and should be paid to the Proctors’ Office. The fee is waived in the case of graduates of fifty or more years’ standing (ie, alumni who first graduated fifty or more years ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    I think I was pretty spot on with price and year. It is for voting privileges in Oxbridge system.

Wat?

Masters take a year, cost c. €5000 and provide you with better employment opportunities and pay.

I don't... I don't even...

... I think that source of yours relates to honorary masters; which have as much to do with masters as honorary doctorates do to doctorates (i.e. almost nothing).

sean1976 wrote: »
    Hi can anyone help me with some information. I have been offered a arts degree place in history and politics in UCD but I have also been offered a place in NUI Maynooth for a B.C.L Law and Arts. These are my final two from the five offers I have got. I am finding it very difficult to choose which course to take.Has anyone done international and political relations in ucd and how did they find it.
    The lazy option for me is to pick ucd as I live in Dundrum. Any information would be welcome thanks

If you want to read law over arts I'd suggest NUIM (as a bachelor in Civ Law is better than nothing). Otherwise I'd opt for ucd., particularly when you live on the doorstep of the campus. But then again, this is a biased forum you are posting on. ;)

Wat?

Masters take a year, cost c. €5000 and provide you with better employment opportunities and pay.

I don't... I don't even...

... I think that source of yours relates to honorary masters; which have as much to do with masters as honorary doctorates do to doctorates (i.e. almost nothing).

You cannot do an academic "Masters of Arts" in Trinity. You can however promote your BA to an MA. The question was asked
    you get an ma in trinity, a ba in ucd no?

which you can after graduating three years by buying it. I was just clearing up the nature of the Trinity MA. The Department of Education I think recognises the Trinity MA and pays the allowance which is hard to believe.

The Master of Philosophy is obviously different and requires academic work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sean1976

sean1976 wrote: »

If you want to read law over arts I'd suggest NUIM (as a bachelor in Civ Law is better than nothing). Otherwise I'd opt for ucd., particularly when you live on the doorstep of the campus. But then again, this is a biased forum you are posting on. ;)
    Lol thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jmclee

Oh I think in terms of employment Trinity vs UCD will have no importance; number one importance will be your subject(s) and (particularly for arts) the grade of your degree. Realistically today most students, particularly in arts, will take post-grad study; which may be complementary to what you have already read (like a degree in History and English and an MA in History) or be somewhat tangential (like a degree in English and Psychology and an MSC in Human Resources) or conversion (like a degree in Geography and Maths and a Masters in Management).

The subjects you can take at post-grad study will also be limited by what you study at degree level and particularly how you do. It is difficult to be accepted into many things with a 2.2 for instance.

In relation to your question in the other thread - I really wouldn't worry about it too much at this stage. Look to your CAO offer, accommodation, and financial preparation for college (living and reg fee, or whatever) and then you can be concerned about subject choice.

I don't believe, off the top of my head, that Trinity integrates its arts subjects in a similar manner as UCD - I don't think there is any omnibus entry. As such one would be less likely to identify themselves with the programme instead of the subject in Trinity.

Send me a PM some time closer to registration (August or September) and I'll give you some details about the process. :D

Could I just do like say history and politics in ucd and then do my postgrad in journalism straight after the 3 years? Wait would those doing history in trinity also have to do a postgrad in something like history? I know they're the only two subjects I want to do anyway! Or perhaps English

Its the 200 point difference that worries me between the two unis

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

You cannot do an academic "Masters of Arts" in Trinity. You can however promote your BA to an MA. The question was asked

which you can after graduating three years by buying it. I was just clearing up the nature of the Trinity MA. The Department of Education I think recognises the Trinity MA and pays the allowance which is hard to believe.

aren't most Trinity courses 4 years for arts over UCD's 3? I think thats partly the reason

aren't most Trinity courses 4 years for arts over UCD's 3? I think thats partly the reason

No its not that either its a tradition that dates back to the middle ages when it took seven years to study the liberal arts.

Okay- that's just plain weird; and not really a good thing in this day and age.
    "Oh I got a masters. Yup, my thesis topic was 'Pay by Mastercard' "

To all intents and purposes a UCD MA is the same as a TCD MPhil then. Also a UCD MLitt seems to be the same as a TCD MLitt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement