Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending wireless signal

Options
  • 30-11-2010 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Searched a few threads but could not find a definitive answer.

Doing a favour for a friend and he has a Netopia 3347NWG router FW.7.5.0 on Eircom broadband with a 4MB line.

He has a desktop in his shed with no wirelesss card which is about 120 ft away and needs a connection wirelessly.

Ran a cable before for him from house to shed but that is out of the question now.

So what would be the most effective way to connect wirelessly from house to the shed?
    Any repeater that is easy to configure with the Netopia 3347NWG?
    Is there a setting that needs to be changed on the router to set this up if i got a repeater?
    What about homeplug Ethernet adapters? http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1890647
    Been a while since i done any networking so bit unfamiliar with latest products.
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

You can get repeater where it connects to the PC via cable or wireless.
    Ethernet converter will take the wireless signal and conver it to the ports where you connect the PC via cable.

OR

DD-WRT router does wireless bridge.

OR
    my favourite a buffalo router WHR-HP-G300N where it works as Wireless bridge + Access Point and easy to configure.

Your Choice i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

akamossie wrote: »

my favourite a buffalo router WHR-HP-G300N where it works as Wireless bridge + Access Point and easy to configure.

Your Choice i guess

Cheers akamossie, looks a nice a bit of kit. Downloaded the manual and has plenty of options, might actually get it for myself.
    Having said that, would these be suitable also..
    http://www.elara.ie/products/details...ode=ECE1890647
    As i want no phone calls about connection lost etc in future and having to go down and sort it out.
    Thanks for your help.

the link not working, but anyway once you set it up, you will never hear from anyone, i have been doing it to alot friends and never heard from them again :) ofcourse in the matter of the router only haha

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hootie

I have a similar question, want to extend wireless signal into new extension, currently have a dlink 524, would the buffalo repeater work with dlink? would this work if i wanted to connect xbox to wireless or does the repeater decrease the speed? only have a .5mB connection as live in the sticks.

There is a possibility might decrease the signal but not guaranteed, it does the job but y would bother to connect to your xbox with slow connection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hootie

Thought it might work, what speed would you need for xbox

I would say minimum 3mbps for playing games online

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

As the desktop has no wireless card why not get this : link Hawking

Have used them before and they work very well! :D

Just another option. BTW the price is $116.32 from

http://www.provantage.com/hawking-technology-hwdn1~7HAUW036.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I have a similar problem, I think.
    My Dad just bought an internetTV (Samsung) but can't reach the switch in our house with ethernet cable.
    I just got a time capsule (don't live at home) and so have a spare wireless router. I have a Buffalo Airstation whr g125 wireless router and access point.

Basically I was hoping I could save the €60 on Samsung wifi dongle by using the router as a bridge/extender to the wireless network in the house, and plugging the telly, skybox, and slingbox into the router (i.e. this would be better than just having the dongle if it worked)

Anyway -haven't really got a clue how to do this or if it's possible, other than I've had a go and got nowhere

Any help appreciated

you can't use it as a wireless extender, but can be used as an access point, get two cables, and place the AP half way between the router and tv, and run the cables between them.

The only solution i can think off really :)

• Advertisement

Thanks akamossie, seem to be coming across you in lots of threads today :)

Pity I have to give Samsung the extra few quid though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Anyone know if its possible to do this without having a cable between the main router & the Linksys

are you talking about the same model, if yes there is no other choice really

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dianehyde

This is my first ever post!
    The long and the short of it is that when we got a phone connected with eircom 7 years ago they split the phone line between us and a neighbour.
    As a result we will never be able to get broadband. Eircom refuse to help and keep referring to the "terms and conditions". I am not entitled to broadband just entitled to a phone line.
    Anyway, I have a dongle, which works periodically. UPC are not in the area, and my last hope arrived yesterday. Wimax..... I'm officially in a broadband blackkspot!. trees trees and more trees, Not on our land but all around.
    So, here is my question. My father-in-law, lives approx 50m from my house. he has Eircom broadband, wireless router etc. Yesterday after the blackspot news I went up to their house, got the password etc and connected my laptop, started walking down the garden and lost the signal about 20 feet from the house. Is there anything I can do to boost the signal to get their signal to my house. I will pay their bill etc, i just want proper broadband in my house.
    thank you for any suggestions that you all may have.

I'm afraid that I can't really help you much with boosting your signal, except to say that it sounds like you will need to replace the wireless router with a a better one - how old is it? Does it support 802.11n (which tend to have a bigger range I think) Sounds like it would be difficult to know if it would work. I have no idea of the position of your Father's house to yours (or to the legality of this) but could you bury a cable? Probably an expensive option.

The 2 things I really wanted to say were:
    1. It might be worth checking our Digiweb or Net1 (if you are in North East) to see if they can cover you.

2. Eircom's reaction is very upsetting altogether. If they are not interested in you giving them extra money to pay for broadband, I would hope you plan to give them less money by switching to one of the other Phone providers. It may well be that they don't have an obligation to provide you with broadband; but it's a bit against the spirit of the National Development Plan to deny you access to broadband (which Eircom admit is available in your area). I would also suggest letting Comreg know about their stance/attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dianehyde

Thanks Zagato,
    My father in laws house is about 20m away from us.
    Eircom still dont want to know me - I have moved phone company needless to say at this stage. I might try and buy another/better router and try that. What would you think of the USB wireless adapters? would that increase reception on my laptop?

Anyway thanks for your reply
    Diane

I don't really know the answer to that. I would just say not to expect wireless routers to actually have the range that they claim to have on their specification sheet.

Advertisement