Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bah Humbug! (anyone else dislike christmas?)

• 30-11-2010 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭

So, tomorrow is the start of Dec, and the inevitable pile of dung that is Christmas!

I'm a happy go lucky guy, LOVE a drink/party and a laugh, but muck fe I hate christmas
    with a passion.

I hate having to spend Christmas day in someone else's gaff, (wherever the dinner is that day) as peer pressure ensures you wont spend it i your own place, watching some classic tv, gettin pooh faced, without having to worry whose liming at you!

I hate the buying and receiving of presents, especially for some, bashterd you haven't seen (thank God) in ages, and know dam well they didn't want to see you either!

I hate christmas dinner! Turkey my ass! Given the choice I'd much prefer a good chicken saag, garlic onion and corriander naan with veg samosas and pilau rice, thats MY favourite dinner, fcuk what the rest of you are eating! I want curry!

I hate the christmas work do's. Oddball if you don't go, salivating drunken predator if you do go? Listen up folks, your my colleagues, NOT my friends!

I hate the fact the pubs are closed, I (as a free man) should be able to go and enjoy a pint in my local on one of the rare, and treasured days off I get a year! Why should some pr1ck in a suit make laws against that?

Easter, Paddys day, halloween etc I have no issue with, I'm certainly no grouch, I just despise being expected to conform to what is ' the norm ' of us at christmas!

What, (if any) things do you hate about christmas day?

Ho ho ho btw

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

I LOVE christmas - loads of food, drink, days off and sleep :D
    Favourite time of year by far!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭figarofigaro

I love Christmas. I'd hate it if it was less commercial and more religious though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

KeithM89 wrote: »
    I LOVE christmas - loads of food, drink, days off and sleep :D
    Favourite time of year by far!

I'm with you on all that, I think its christmas day itself that I dont get on with!
    Stephens day, ten times better imho !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Love Christmas when Im not working it, it is total crap when you have to work.

Off Christmas day this year, RESULT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Holy fuck.

What a miserable, depressing opening post.

It's nearly as bad as a recession thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Yep,dont even celebrate it anymore,even less of a point to these days aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

why dont you just tell the people who invite you around to fúck off - sounds like they wont miss you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Celebrating Festivus is much more fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

I don't like the constant consumerism of it but it's a merry time so it's alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

I agree completely, hate it, every closes, nothing on and nothing to do, its brutal, I always try and work as much of it as I can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Your hate of Christmas is veiled by the need for alcohol which, of course as anyone could attest, leads on to the need of a curry.

You have a problem and I think you need an intervention. No. Seriously.

Or maybe not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I hate Christmas with a passion-hate everything about it!!!
    And New Years.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jiffybag

Gucky wrote: »
    So, tomorrow is the start of Dec, and the inevitable pile of dung that is Christmas!

I'm a happy go lucky guy, LOVE a drink/party and a laugh, but muck fe I hate christmas
    with a passion.

I hate having to spend Christmas day in someone else's gaff, (wherever the dinner is that day) as peer pressure ensures you wont spend it i your own place, watching some classic tv, gettin pooh faced, without having to worry whose liming at you!

I hate the buying and receiving of presents, especially for some, bashterd you haven't seen (thank God) in ages, and know dam well they didn't want to see you either!

I hate christmas dinner! Turkey my ass! Given the choice I'd much prefer a good chicken saag, garlic onion and corriander naan with veg samosas and pilau rice, thats MY favourite dinner, fcuk what the rest of you are eating! I want curry!

I hate the christmas work do's. Oddball if you don't go, salivating drunken predator if you do go? Listen up folks, your my colleagues, NOT my friends!

I hate the fact the pubs are closed, I (as a free man) should be able to go and enjoy a pint in my local on one of the rare, and treasured days off I get a year! Why should some pr1ck in a suit make laws against that?

Easter, Paddys day, halloween etc I have no issue with, I'm certainly no grouch, I just despise being expected to conform to what is ' the norm ' of us at christmas!

What, (if any) things do you hate about christmas day?

Ho ho ho btw

You pretty much hit the nail on the head their my friend.
    To me Christmas is a load of false B-S!! I hate having to buy presents for nephews and nieces , the ungrateful little rugrats. Get Feck all back in return.
    Dont even get me started on the dire xmas music being played nonstop in every shop in town!
    It get worse every year.
    Definately not going to the 'staff' xmas dinner either , bad enough having to spend 41hrs with those people never mind a full friday night. I reckon Jack Daniels would get the better of me and a few home truths would come flying out!!!

Oh , and other peole thinking that they know what clothing styles would suit you best .......and buying shirts/jumpers 'that you would look well in ' .
    I can buy my own clothes FFS!!
    Bring on the 26th Dec........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Im indifferent to it now a days. I get hammered on xmas eve until the early hours so i usually wake up at about 3 or 4 and dont get out of bed until 7. I put a bit of turkey and ham on a sandwich then go back to bed to watch some tv. I dont buy anyone presents and encourage people not to buy me anything so its pretty much like every day except i get a great sandwich :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

hate the hustle and bustle of christmas,a capitalists time of year and the adults have stolen it from the children:pac::D:D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

The fu*k? Christmas is great! OP if you want to be in a pub on Christmas day that's fine but you shouldn't expect the owner to open it when they want some time off too! Jesus there's no winning with you people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Yeah, I hate Christmas! :mad: I'd much prefer to spend the day in work staring into the dead eyes of soulless coworkers whom I can barely tolerate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Celebrating Festivus is much more fun

Time for the feats of strength...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Time for the feats of strength...

Woah! Woah! Woah! Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. We haven't even had the airing of grievances yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

bonerm wrote: »
    Woah! Woah! Woah! Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. We haven't even had the airing of grievances yet.

That reminds me I have to get my pole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Now that i (finally) have my family trained to...

a) Not bother expecting me to visit extended family.
    b) Buy me what i want rather than what they think i should want

..xmas is far less irritating than it used to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i like christmas, but i find the days when nothing is open to be real boring. you get cabin fever on those days! i'm not saying i want to go around the shops.. but it's just boring.. and i find the tv is full of tripe on christmas day.
    i think i dislike stephens day moreso than christmas day though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

You sound fun OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Lots of boozing and have dinner handed to me....not bad, not bad at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

I love Christmas. I'd hate it if it was less commercial and more religious though.

The religious aspect is generally easier to ignore though.
    Patri wrote: »
    if you want to be in a pub on Christmas day that's fine but you shouldn't expect the owner to open it when they want some time off too!

Thats a bit of an assumption ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

I dont hate christmas, but its more Im not looking forward to it this year. Christmas can be a very hard time for people if they lost someone during the year and a lot of people forget that with their "wohoo its nearly christmas!" talk.

At the same time I understand why people love christmas (I usually do) so I dont expect them to tone it down on my account.I'll be forcing out a smile with the rest of them on 12 pubs day and all the other nights out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Thats a bit of an assumption ?

Ya my bad it is a bit, but still some are thankful for the time off, and wouldnt like to have to compete for business at christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I just think it's a incredible waste of resources, encouraging people to spend money they can't afford on stuff they don't need. I've visited friends with kids, and watched them struggling through all the stuff they don't really want to do, but feel obliged to because "it's what you do".

I have a personal tradition of going for a long walk on the day, but it's not been very enjoyable in recent years, thanks to the sheer volume of traffic on the roads. Where are you all going? :confused:

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

jiffybag wrote: »
    To me Christmas is a load of false B-S!! I hate having to buy presents for nephews and nieces , the ungrateful little rugrats. ..

They may vaguely remember you in the near-certain event of you dying alone in a home later in life and drop by to say hello.

Think of it as an investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Gucky wrote: »

Perhaps the bar staff would rather be somewhere else on one of the rare and treasured days they get off a year?

Advertisement