Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing Chinchilla's

• 30-11-2010 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Over the weekend I am delighted to say I finally found a chinchilla that I am going to introduce to my current chin.:) However, when I do bring him home I am quite anxious about introducing them. They will be both male.

I will be investing in a small cage so that they can see eachother for at least a week or so and get used to eachother.

I was hoping somebody here with more experience could give me some helpful tips and advise on what to do / not do.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Dazzledust:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Yeah, best option is to put them in cages side by side, when I got my 2nd chinchilla, thats what I did, they did fight a little at first even though the 2nd one was female, best to let them meet out side of the cages. Bring them into a small confined area(I used the bathroom) and sit down and watch how they interact, do this a few times and they should start smelling each other after 3 or 4 times doing this try putting them in a cage together but leave the door open so if there is fighting one of them can get away. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

Whenm I used to have rats, i did the whole 2 cages thing. Works very well. I used to every other night swap the cages they stayed in so they could get used to each others territory. Actual physical introductions were kept to neutral ground (ie the floor or something), be carful though is chins are anything like rats, when they fight....by god do they fight :). Keep a water squirter handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 thekingof79

you could try a few icebreakers to help them get to know each other better and get rid of any awkwardness

Advertisement