Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on gaiters

Options
  • 30-11-2010 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Adding to the current threads on clothing I'm looking for advice on gaiters.
    Last walk up on Mullaghcleevaun a few weeks ago left me with iced water filled boots.
    Looking for something that works reasonably well, not too cumbersome nor too pricey.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

Look out for a pair with a chunky zip which is protected behind a velcro-sealed flap - gaiters with fine-toothed zips don't last long...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I have a pair of "Alpine" gaiters made by Outdoor Designs, bought in the Great Outdoors I think.

See http://www.outdoordesigns.co.uk/products_gaiters_alpine.html

I've had them for years and they're still going strong despite all the muck Wicklow can throw at them week after week!

(EDIT: They fulfil the chunky zip / velcro flap criteria too!)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭micawber

Thanks - the sort of tip I was looking for. Also wondered about the 'stirrup' piece - must be prone to wearing out?

micawber wrote: »
    Thanks - the sort of tip I was looking for. Also wondered about the 'stirrup' piece - must be prone to wearing out?
    Not really .. it's made from a pretty sturdy kind of rubberized canvas and hasn't worn out yet on mine at any rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

They do wear out eventually - lots of people recommend using a piece of insulated electrical wire as a replacement when this happens - cheap, quick and fairly hardwearing.

I wear Lowe Alpine Front Zip gaiters and find them good...

http://www.lowealpine.com/eng/prod_app_det.php?catid=7&itemid=570&type=

• Advertisement

They do wear out eventually - lots of people recommend using a piece of insulated electrical wire as a replacement when this happens - cheap, quick and fairly hardwearing.

I wear Lowe Alpine Front Zip gaiters and find them good...

http://www.lowealpine.com/eng/prod_app_det.php?catid=7&itemid=570&type=
    Thanks DS and Alan - very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

I was looking at these Outdoor Reseach M's Crocodiles gaiters during the week, just wondering does anyone have any experiences using them?
    Thanks

Front zip - back zip a bit fussy when putting on.

As was said above, velcro sealed cover/flap.

Those snap buttons above and below the velcro to fix it.

Have gone through about 4 pairs of them for various reasons, mostly tearing but in one pair that cost €30 or €40 both stirrups went on the same day! Though they were going over rock again and again on the Reeks and it just crushed through them.

It possibly depends a bit on the terrain you're using them on, but here in muddy Wicklow, mine have been going strong for probably 5 years or more and used almost every week. Maybe if you're in a more rocky area in the west for example they'd wear quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 will and away

Get a pair that are gore tex. If not you'll get really hot wearing them and probably just take em off again.

I only ever use my Gaiters in the snow really. They are a must for keeping you dry if your walking in snowy conditions. They stop the snow going up your trousers and turning to melt water and then as you know... wetting feet!

• Advertisement

Get a pair that are gore tex. If not you'll get really hot wearing them and probably just take em off again.

I only ever use my Gaiters in the snow really. They are a must for keeping you dry if your walking in snowy conditions. They stop the snow going up your trousers and turning to melt water and then as you know... wetting feet!
    Thanks - sounds like good advice.
    My main usage would seem to be close to Alun's - boggy Wicklow hills, which are now of course boggy snowy Wicklow hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭joewicklow

I have a pair of Berghaus with Velcro up the front and no zip. They are really good and are very easy to put on and even easier to take off especially when they are filthy dirty and wet after a long hike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 will and away

Your welcome,

Happy walking:)

Advertisement