Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 48: Pulled Pork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

No worries Pinky, thanks for trying it!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I meant to say this before but I kept on forgetting. I noticed that the meat joint in the OP is €6.41 for 1.236kg. The last few times I've made this I've noticed that the same weight of meat from Tesco would cost almost twice that.

Interesting in light of today's reports about grocery bills increasing over the last couple of years.

I have genuinely always found Tesco to charge over the odds for meat. At best they will charge on par with a local supermarket, but very rarely better. Always amazes me how they promote themselves as being cheaper than the competition.

As a comparison, JC's supermarket in Swords charge €7.50 for a 2kg unboned shoulder of pork (not an exact like for like comparision, but shows the difference)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pinky123

vibe666 wrote: »
    here's what passes for the recipe anyway, although everything is an approximation as i don't really do set recipes, everything is adjusted by taste

for the bbq sauce, in a jug put:
    1 small (not too heaped, it's pretty strong) teaspoon of smoked paprika (tesco do a really nice spanish one in their finest selection, well worth a buy)
    400 grams of brown sugar (dark muscavado if you can)
    1/2 teaspoon of fine ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon of fine ground white pepper
    1/2 tablespoon of worcestersostershire sauce
    5 tablespoons of honey
    5 tablespoons of tomato sauce
    5 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
    heaped teaspoon of english mustard

(as a side note, this is more or less what i make to baste my bbq ribs and wings and its so much better than anything you can buy in the shops and only takes 5 minutes to make, although you'll need to cook it out if you're not adding it to something as you're cooking it, like as a dipping sauce, or to wings after they're cooked).

:o)

Vibe,
    How long do you cook out the sauce for and how long will it keep in fridge ?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭M1XR

8484178834_98db46e6e2_z.jpg
    Got shoulder joint, been dry curing for a day and half. Now set to low for over night. Threw in some chipotle chillies instead of green chilli to add extra smokiness . Sure am looking forward to lunch tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rainshine

I tried this recipe out yesterday and it was absolutely amazing, thank you!!
    I actually decided to use a pork fillet and cooked it in the oven. It took about 4.5 hours at about 130 degrees until the meat started falling apart. Every hour I'd baste the top of the fillet with the cooking liquid. I was worried it would end up tough but quite the opposite, moist and tender.
    Instead of adding the 1/2 cup of cider vinegar to the BBQ sauce (didn't want too much vinegar), I added 1/2 cup of the strained cooking liquid that was left over.
    Thanks again for introducing me to this recipe, it went down so well.

• Advertisement

You're welcome rainshine, glad you liked it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I made it for tonight's dinner, we had guests and all the plates were cleared. It was amazing - I've made pulled pork a couple of times before but it was never this nice. I used pork neck, 2.1 kg, and between 5 of us we almost ate all of it.
    Thanks Sparks :)

Glad you liked it Dizzy!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Should I cook it on low if it's going overnight? Will prob be on til lunchtime tomorrow! Loved it last time except for the sauce, think I'll just have it with a bottle of chipotle this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Low is fine if you leave it for at least 8 hours!

• Advertisement

Definitely on low (well, depending on how low "low" is on your cooker) - you want to make pulled pork, not pork soup! (And that's assuming it didn't dry out and dessicate)

Hmmm maybe I should just leave it til the morning and do 8 hours on high, worked perfectly last time, it would mean marinading in the rub for two nights though, which would be better!?

Put it on low now. I do mine (admittedly a big 2.5kg one) on low for 20 hours :)

Cheers, mine is just below 1.2kg.

I'd opt for low too and check it when you wake up (and top up if needed).

Cheers, just top it up with some coke?

Or even water in a pinch.

It doesn't really matter what you top it up with as long as you make sure it doesn't dry out :)

Very unlikely to dry out though, at low I don't think it gets over 90C and as long as you do not lift the lid, there should be very little evaporation

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Trilogy

Made this today (well started yesterday :D) and I tip my hat to you Mr. Sparks sir!

Did it in the 3L Tesco slow cooker and just did about 1 1/2 times the liquid as the original recipe didn't fill the cooker enough for me.

Also used Tate and Lyles Treacle instead of the molasses which I think was pretty good.

All in all serving this up to the Hubbie with a cold beer was very well received!!

Thanks Sparks!

Welcome Trilogy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Dont think i ever got around to posting here, but ive made this for the 3rd time now and i love it. thanks again!

doubled up the sizes cause ive to feed 8 people tonight, worked up perfect, but the cooking time is still the same!

i even impressed my North Carolina hick friends so it must be very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Starting this this evening.

Can't wait.

Glad to hear it Tea_bag and pulled pork praise from either of the carolinas is pulled pork praise indeed!

• Administrators Posts: 53,732 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We bought a slow cooker tonight, a 1.5 litre one and alsoa 1.5 kg pork shoulder. I'm not convinced it's gonna fit. If we buy a bigger cooker, does it have to be small enough that the pork is totally covered by the cooking liquid?

No the pork doesn't have to be covered at all! As long as there is at least some liquid in the cooker at all times and you do not lift the lid (much), the humidity will be near enough 100%

Well, pork is in the cooker. It's a 2.4litre pot with a 1.5kg shoulder, gonna leave it for about 10 hours and then see what it's like.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭banquet

Thanks for the recipe! I've wanted to make this for years but never could as I didn't have a slow cooker. Just made a sandwich with the pulled pork, mayo and cheddar in a toasted ciabatta. So good. Tomorrow I'l try it with rice and beans.

Mine was really nice too. But next time I think I'll put less bbq sauce and cider vinegar into the sauce as it overpowered it a bit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

awec wrote: »
    Mine was really nice too. But next time I think I'll put less bbq sauce and cider vinegar into the sauce as it overpowered it a bit.

When I make it now, I just put barbecue sauce on it, nothing else, and it's PERFECT for me.

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »
    When I make it now, I just put barbecue sauce on it, nothing else, and it's PERFECT for me.
    Don't happen to have a sweet tooth, do you Faith? :D

Advertisement