Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 48: Pulled Pork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Bought a slow cooker especially for this, have the spice rub done and it's in the fridge, looking good so far! Just a question about the cooker, it says the liquid you put in needs to be hot, should I heat the cooking liquid first or is it alright to just put the pork in with the liquid and set the cooker to high? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

No need to put the liquid in hot. The cooker will heat it all up. Sloowwwwwly :)

Thanks unkel, I'm so excited! I don't want to mess up!

It's impossible to mess it up. Unless you let it dry out. Which is pretty impossible too as a slow cooker hardly loses any fluids (as long as you don't keep opening the lid)

What time is dinner served in your house on Wednesday? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

unkel wrote: »
    No need to put the liquid in hot. The cooker will heat it all up. Sloowwwwwly :)

Spot on. Not even sure what'd happen if you heated it up first, but I don't think it'd make too much of a mess of it.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys :) I'll let you know if there are leftovers unkel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

So I have the rub on my pork, would leaving it to cook for more than 8 hours be detrimental at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭maryfred

danthefan wrote: »
    So I have the rub on my pork, would leaving it to cook for more than 8 hours be detrimental at all?

When i cooked this for the first time,it must have been on for at least 10 hrs because it was my first time using a slow cooker and it was perfect! Have bought pork butt for my next go!

danthefan wrote: »
    In a slow cooker, no. I've had to, in fact, for some larger chunks of pork. I think fourteen hours is my record so far. Just make sure the cooking liquid doesn't evaporate and cook away.

Wouldn't push it past the 24 hour mark though I think, not unless it's a massive chunk of meat - eventually your pork will go from pullable glory to soup....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

We left it for 14 hours last week I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I bought pork shoulder last week to slow roast it. The butcher asked had I made it before, and I said I had. He asked how long I cooked it for and I said about 7 hours. He looked at me in horror and said "that was far too long!". I just giggled to myself thinking he has no idea of the glory of REAL slow roasted pork! I left this lot in for 9 hours and it was so good. We were actually eating it for three days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Sparks wrote: »
    In a slow cooker, no. I've had to, in fact, for some larger chunks of pork. I think fourteen hours is my record so far. Just make sure the cooking liquid doesn't evaporate and cook away.

Wouldn't push it past the 24 hour mark though I think, not unless it's a massive chunk of meat - eventually your pork will go from pullable glory to soup....

Cheers, the piece I have is about 1.3kg I think so close enough to the recipe. Am going to put it on when I go to bed tomorrow night, just don't want to have to set an alarm or something to go stop the pork cooking.

Can't wait, thanks a lot for the recipe.

Ah no, that'll be grand dan. Just make sure the liquid level is topped up before you hit the hay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Masala

Bummer..... got the ingredients for this tonight in Tesco and just noticed that I used a FILLET.!!!

Damage is now done ... wrapped in fridge for the morning.

Will have to go with honey tomorrow as cant find molasses anywhere.

SO looking forward ...but now slightly disappointed!!

PS...when posters say they had this with dinner - what kind of dinner we talking abut??? Chips and pulled pork?? Potatoes + Veg + pork??? Doesn't sound right!!!!

Day one I had it in a bap with homemade coleslaw, day two with coleslaw and little roasties, my phone is not cooperating when I try to attach photos, sorry!

Masala wrote: »
    Bummer..... got the ingredients for this tonight in Tesco and just noticed that I used a FILLET.!!!

Damage isn't done yet. Damage will be done if you stick it in the slow cooker. Don't!

Slice your pork fillet and pan-fry the slices for a couple of minutes each side. It will be lovely - marinated medallions of pork :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

First time I had it on buns with homemade chips and a red cabbage slaw. The other day I had it on buns with sauteed baby potatoes with garlic and spring onion on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

PS...when posters say they had this with dinner - what kind of dinner we talking abut??? Chips and pulled pork?? Potatoes + Veg + pork??? Doesn't sound right!!!!
    They have molases in holland and barret.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,550 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

For the first few days, I put it in a ciabatta and make sweet potato fries. I then throw some in with some shredded lettuce and cherry tomatoes for a quick and easy salad. A large shoulder usually does me for 2 weeks worth of salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭clouter

Just after tucking into this for lunch. WOW!! Loved it, had it in bun with coleslaw and gherkins. Delicious!!

Had it in slow cooker for 13/14 hrs at low. Had 2kg of pork so should do for quite a few meals! Thanks OP!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Is it one of those giant sausage shaped fillets tesco do for a fiver?

What I do with those is cut them into two halfs so that it fits in the slow cooker, then cook both of them on low for 4 hours in some liquid. Then take one half out and cut it into some medallions, it should give enough for 2/3 people, and serve with some veg and spuds.

Then crank the slow cooker up to high and do the other half for another 2 to 3 hours. Take it out and shred it, then pop it back in the slow cooker, still on high but leave the lid off to help the liquid thicken up, probably another hour or so.

It means you get lovely pork fillet medallions for dinner, and delicious pulled pork for tea or lunch the next day.

edit: oh and you'll find dark treacle in the baking section in most supermarkets or even some convenience/corner shops. Not quite the same but a good substitute.

Please don't put pork fillet into the slow cooker. You wouldn't put fillet steak into it, would you?

Is it one of those giant sausage shaped fillets tesco do for a fiver

NO.... was a round shape like a round loaf!

Anyway... decided against using it and just boiled it for the Dinner

Was in Tesco and seen that they have Leg of Pork.... is that any use. Seems this thread says SHOULDER of PORK is the best.

Anyway.. when I look at my Slower Cooker - the fillet was tiny in it (I have the Clockworks one from Argos) and would take double the stock ingredients to cover the fillet! So... all ingredients saved for next time.

PS... after buying the 500ml bottle of Cider Vinegar .. can anyone advise what else it can be used in ?? Same with Molasses....

Leg is fine. Just make sure to take out the stuffing if its the same one I've used from Tesco before.

I've used the leftover cider vinegar in another round of pulled pork :)

Will be doing a chilli cook soon so will be in Fallon and Byrne, does anyone know if they have much in the likes of liquid smoke? I see Stubbs Hickory Liquid Smoke mentioned a few times in recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Sikpupi

Can u use Pork Lion.... not sure what part of pig that is from???

I don't see Pork Shoulder in Tesco.... but plenty od Lion!! IT is not very big though

You can get pork leg in Tesco. Made it again for match day today, went down a treat with a bunch of hungry lads! I was delighted! Had with some lettuce, coleslaw and brown baps, and little crispy potato and sweet potato cubes, so yummy!

So... Is Lion = leg??

Does the joint have to be on the bone???

I've made it a couple of times now, never on the bone, wouldn't fit in my cooker!

So... Is Lion = leg??
    No, the loin is the pork version of fillet steak. It doesn't make good pulled pork, just cut slices and cook it fast or do a pork wellington kind of thing with a dried apple filling or whatever. Check the first post, that's pork leg in that example.
    Does the joint have to be on the bone???
    No, but it tastes better if it is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Just put my dry rub covered pork into the fridge. I'll be popping it into the slow cooker in the morning, and having pulled pork for Paddy's Day!

Advertisement