Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 48: Pulled Pork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

Pig is in the pot in the oven.

Oven thermometer is reading about 80 - 85 degrees so I think I'm good to go for 10 hours or so.

Here is the Before picture

2qvtq81.png

I'll report back tomorrow.

Checked the Piggie at 6:30 this morning.

So thats about 11 hours in the oven at 75 - 85 degree.

I had a go with the tongs and managed to twist up some of the meat. Took a little effort so I'm not sure if its just right yet.

Didnt want to leave the house with the oven on so I just threw the pot back in the oven (turned off oven) and I'll check it later today.

Didn't have any other options so hopefully it will be ok.

Will update this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

quazzy wrote: »
    I had a go with the tongs and managed to twist up some of the meat. Took a little effort so I'm not sure if its just right yet.
    It's not. It shouldn't take any effort at all, it should literally fall apart (half the time, I can't lift the meat out of the pot in one chunk because it can't hold itself together).
    Didn't have any other options so hopefully it will be ok.
    Should be okay. Check the liquid level so it doesn't dry out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Hoping to make this at the weekend, just have a few questions first.

1. My pork fillet piece is 1.08, is that big enough or will I need bigger?

My slow cooker is either 3.3L or 3.5L, is it too big? Would I need more/less liquid?

I got the pork fillet in Dunnes for around E6 so hopefully it's OK, if not, I can get a different piece next week and just roast the fillet.

BTW when I say 'fillet' it's not tenderloin or anything, it's a piece like this, just labelled pork fillet.

pork_leg_joint_web.jpg

Toast4532 wrote: »
    Hoping to make this at the weekend, just have a few questions first.
    1. My pork fillet piece is 1.08, is that big enough or will I need bigger?
    Pork fillet really won't cook well in this dish; but that doesn't look like pork fillet in your photo!

But in general, the size of the meat is important only in terms of how much rub you make and how much liquid you put in the slow cooker. So long as the meat is covered in rub and immersed all the way in liquid, you should be okay.
    My slow cooker is either 3.3L or 3.5L, is it too big? Would I need more/less liquid?
    I've cooked this dish in a slow cooker that was about that size (Before I got the smaller one). It's fine, just be sure you have enough liquid to immerse the meat fully.Otherwise the bit in the liquid cooks well and the rest dries out and it's not good.
    I got the pork fillet in Dunnes for around E6 so hopefully it's OK, if not, I can get a different piece next week and just roast the fillet.
    BTW when I say 'fillet' it's not tenderloin or anything, it's a piece like this, just labelled pork fillet.

Oooo, the cheeky sods :D That looks like a loin roast to me rather than a fillet. The fillet's a nice bit of meat - split down the middle, fill with dried apple, paint with mustard, wrap in spinach and then in puff pastry, bake off at 180 and you have pork wellington - but you can't do pulled pork with it, it comes out horribly nasty. The loin roast you can do pulled pork with... but you'd get a nicer meal if you roast it, with the fat scored and painted in honey and mustard and cracker crumbs to glaze at the end. For pulled pork, you really do want a tough cut of meat like shoulder or leg, you really need that connective tissue.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the feedback Sparks.

Liquid Level didn't change throughout the 11 hours so I might up the temp (maybe to 90 - 100) when I get home to get it finished today.

Some of the meat seperated quite easily but not all so hopefully it wont need too much more time.

My piggie was probably 2 --> 2.5 kilos so I'm assuming it needs more time to fall apart.

I'll report back later.

The liquid level doesn't normally change much in the slow cooker; but trying this dish in the oven... it's a bit more finicky. Unless you have an aga, you pretty much don't have an oven that can do low temperatures in a stable way. On mine, for example, if I set 80C, it'll heat up to anywhere up to 100C, then turn off the heat, it'll fall back to about 70C and then it'll turn the heat back on, and so forth. Between 150C and 220C it can hold temperature a lot more closely than that, but at the low end of the dial, it's just not that great. You've got the pork in a pot; if it's cast iron (and it looks like a lovely dutch oven in your photo), that'll help a lot as it'll soak up a lot of the heat changes. But it may not be as easy as with the slow cooker.

To be honest, if you like the dish, I'd splurge the 10-15 quid in tesco or argos and get a small slow cooker :D

If you had 2-2.5kg of meat, yeah, its going to take longer - could be quite a bit longer in fact, because the heat's got to get all the way though to the middle of the meat and stay at temperature long enough to do its voodoo. I wouldn't up the temperature all that much though, I'd just give it the extra time.

Sparks wrote: »
    Pork fillet really won't cook well in this dish; but that doesn't look like pork fillet in your photo!

But in general, the size of the meat is important only in terms of how much rub you make and how much liquid you put in the slow cooker. So long as the meat is covered in rub and immersed all the way in liquid, you should be okay.

I've cooked this dish in a slow cooker that was about that size (Before I got the smaller one). It's fine, just be sure you have enough liquid to immerse the meat fully.Otherwise the bit in the liquid cooks well and the rest dries out and it's not good.

Oooo, the cheeky sods :D That looks like a loin roast to me rather than a fillet. The fillet's a nice bit of meat - split down the middle, fill with dried apple, paint with mustard, wrap in spinach and then in puff pastry, bake off at 180 and you have pork wellington - but you can't do pulled pork with it, it comes out horribly nasty. The loin roast you can do pulled pork with... but you'd get a nicer meal if you roast it, with the fat scored and painted in honey and mustard and cracker crumbs to glaze at the end. For pulled pork, you really do want a tough cut of meat like shoulder or leg, you really need that connective tissue.
    Thanks Sparks. I'll roast the piece I have to and I'll get a piece of leg or shoulder.

Quick question - I was gonna get a leg of pork from the butchers anyway, he is going to split it up into smaller parts as there's only 2-3 of us eating it, so a full leg is too much in one go, could a piece of that leg be used in this as long as there's connective tissue?

I don't use pork too often, so I'm a little unsure about it.

The liquid level doesn't normally change much in the slow cooker; but trying this dish in the oven... it's a bit more finicky. Unless you have an aga, you pretty much don't have an oven that can do low temperatures in a stable way. On mine, for example, if I set 80C, it'll heat up to anywhere up to 100C, then turn off the heat, it'll fall back to about 70C and then it'll turn the heat back on, and so forth. Between 150C and 220C it can hold temperature a lot more closely than that, but at the low end of the dial, it's just not that great. You've got the pork in a pot; if it's cast iron (and it looks like a lovely dutch oven in your photo), that'll help a lot as it'll soak up a lot of the heat changes. But it may not be as easy as with the slow cooker.

To be honest, if you like the dish, I'd splurge the 10-15 quid in tesco or argos and get a small slow cooker :D

If you had 2-2.5kg of meat, yeah, its going to take longer - could be quite a bit longer in fact, because the heat's got to get all the way though to the middle of the meat and stay at temperature long enough to do its voodoo. I wouldn't up the temperature all that much though, I'd just give it the extra time.

Noted - thanks.

I'll leave Temp alone and fire it on for another 4 - 6 hours. Pot is a Creuset so its been very kind to me over the years. Plenty of great meals out of it.

Last question for today - does the cooking liquid have to cover all the meat. Mine is about 90% covered.

Quick question - I was gonna get a leg of pork from the butchers anyway, he is going to split it up into smaller parts as there's only 2-3 of us eating it, so a full leg is too much in one go, could a piece of that leg be used in this as long as there's connective tissue?
    Quick answer, definitely yes. You probably want a bit from higher up the leg, so you get both connective tissue and meat, but anywhere above the knee should be grand. Once you've done this a few times, you could try a tougher cut, but make it easy on yourself the first time out :D

Also, if you're getting a cut off the butcher's anyways, try to get a chunk of shoulder (and ask him if he knows what boston butt is :D )
    I don't use pork too often, so I'm a little unsure about it.
    Not to worry, most Irish people are too, they just don't think they are :D You should have seen my mom's pork dishes. She (like every other Irish Mammy since the Famine, it seems) was taught to cook pork until it was well done, then cook it a bit longer 'to be safe'. She had no idea what she was being safe about (it turns out to be trichinosis, but it's been a very long time since a case of that turned up in Ireland, and you don't have to turn the pork to shoe leather to avoid it anyways); but the pork was always inedible and we were always discouraged from eating it as a result. This dish is actually the first one we've ever eaten in my family where we liked the taste of the pork (I'm not counting ham or bacon here).
    i

• Advertisement

quazzy wrote: »
    Pot is a Creuset
    Oooo, fancy :D
    Last question for today - does the cooking liquid have to cover all the meat. Mine is about 90% covered.
    Not all of it really, yours looked okay in that photo, though I'd probably add a bit more liquid - generally when I do it, I leave the pork just barely poking out of the liquid. You're braising here, y'see, which means it has to be moist all the time. If it dries out, you're more roasting than braising and with this cut of pork, you'd get shoe leather if you roasted it.

Quick answer, definitely yes. You probably want a bit from higher up the leg, so you get both connective tissue and meat, but anywhere above the knee should be grand. Once you've done this a few times, you could try a tougher cut, but make it easy on yourself the first time out :D

Also, if you're getting a cut off the butcher's anyways, try to get a chunk of shoulder (and ask him if he knows what boston butt is :D )

Not to worry, most Irish people are too, they just don't think they are :D You should have seen my mom's pork dishes. She (like every other Irish Mammy since the Famine, it seems) was taught to cook pork until it was well done, then cook it a bit longer 'to be safe'. She had no idea what she was being safe about (it turns out to be trichinosis, but it's been a very long time since a case of that turned up in Ireland, and you don't have to turn the pork to shoe leather to avoid it anyways); but the pork was always inedible and we were always discouraged from eating it as a result. This dish is actually the first one we've ever eaten in my family where we liked the taste of the pork (I'm not counting ham or bacon here).
    i
    Thanks Sparks. I'll be in with the butcher today, will see what I can get from him. I know he said before pork legs/shoulders etc are all done on special order so it'll probably be a week or two before I get it, don't mind though, it'll be worth the wait.

Aha my mammy won't eat pork she says, but she loves her oul sausages :D I made a white chili the other day with pork mince, my mother and some other family members (who also 'don't like' pork) tried some and said it was absolutely delicious. They don't know (and I won't tell them either) that I used pork mince rather than beef mince.

As a kid myself we never had pork chops, roast pork etc, only ever pork sausages.

I don't know what it is with some Irish mammies/family that they think pork isn't safe, it's absolutely safe if it is cooked thoroughly (like all meat), even if it is a slight bit pink in the middle, it is safe.

Aha my mammy won't eat pork she says, but she loves her oul sausages :D I made a white chili the other day with pork mince, my mother and some other family members (who also 'don't like' pork) tried some and said it was absolutely delicious. They don't know (and I won't tell them either) that I used pork mince rather than beef mince.
    Yup - they love it when they don't know what it is :D

Love adding some pork mince to my chilli actually, when I can get it (I have a mincer at home, but I'm lazy :D ). About a half pound of pork mince and a half pound of lamb mince to a pound of beef mince and two pounds of beef chunks and you have a fantastic pot of chilli.
    As a kid myself we never had pork chops, roast pork etc, only ever pork sausages.
    Same here.
    I don't know what it is with some Irish mammies/family that they think pork isn't safe, it's absolutely safe if it is cooked thoroughly (like all meat), even if it is a slight bit pink in the middle, it is safe.
    Horror stories about trichinosis I'm guessing (and there are some really horrid stories - getting worms in your brain because you ate an underdone sausage should just be the kind of thing kids make up on the playground, but there was a time when it was very real). But we've not seen trichinosis in a long time in Ireland or anywhere else in the western world, even in the US where their pork is produced in appalling conditions. And you can avoid it without having to cook the meat until it can be used as a building material. It needs no more caution to avoid than does salmonella or campylobacter.

Was in with the butcher, full pork leg is about E50-E60 :eek: so I'm going for a shoulder which is about E20, maybe a bit less.

Going to order it next week :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Was in with the butcher, full pork leg is about E50-E60 :eek: so I'm going for a shoulder which is about E20, maybe a bit less.

Going to order it next week :)

Both Aldi and Tesco do boneless pork legs for about 8 quid.

I've only ever done this in a cast-iron casserole in the oven and it works a charm.

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Both Aldi and Tesco do boneless pork legs for about 8 quid.

I've only ever done this in a cast-iron casserole in the oven and it works a charm.
    Thanks for the info, just checked Tesco.ie, leg joint 1.35KG for E8.

Will try to get to Tesco's next week and pick it up.

Finally...

Late Supper.

Epic stuff.

BIG thanks to Sparks for sharing the recipe and all the help along the way.

30agn50.jpg

Pulled pork, check... gherkins, check... coleslaw, check... beer, check... yup, everything looks in order here :D

I've just remembered I have a rubbed & rested leg in the freezer. I feel like I've won the lotto!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Here's another pulled pork recipe ye might like to try too. I made it yesterday & loved it.
    http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/crockpot/crockpot-pulled-pork/#
    with sauce
    http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/condimentssauces/beasty-bbq-sauce/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

Weighing in on the sauce - I got this one off Epicurious in the reviews section of a Sticky Spicy Ribs recipe. The rib recipe, by the way, is great. Nice dry rub (which I tweaked slightly), then cooked slowly in the oven and finished off on the grill with sauce. I buy my ribs (pre-cut, not the slab) from Buckley's on Moore Street and they're the best I've bought in Ireland, big and juicy and with exactly the right amount of fat for a mere €6.99 a kilo. Anyway, the sauce!

1/2 cup dijon mustard
    1 tsp dry mustard
    1/2 cup honey
    1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
    1 dessert spoon soy sauce
    1 dessert spoon sesame oil

Whisk everything together and simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes. I sometimes leave out the sesame oil, and I definitely would for pulled pork. You could add tomato puree if so inclined.

I ended up using the pork fillet I had as it was way too big to roast (only two of us eating it), I'm expecting it to be tough, but I said I'd give it a go anyway.

How long should I leave it in the slow cooker for? I put it on about 10 minutes ago and have it at high.

I'd leave it for the eight hours and then check it; I'd keep an eye on the liquid level as well.

Took the pork out at 7.15pm, shredded it and tried it, it wasn't a bit tough at all.

I tried a bit and liked it. I then put some in a bap with cucumber and mayonnaise and didn't like it, I think it was the cucumber/mayonnaise that I didn't like tbh, it was quite strong, I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I'm all excited, have its seasoned sittting in the fridge, looking forward to tomorrow evening. No slow cooker so be cooking in oven in casrole dish, I think I might try put some bricks in the oven to help regulate the temperature.

I tried a bit and liked it. I then put some in a bap with cucumber and mayonnaise and didn't like it.

I have to ask, why did you put them on if you don't like them?

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I have to ask, why did you put them on if you don't like them?
    I didn't realise how they would taste with the pork until I tried it.

I normally only have cucumber on it's own, or with some sliced ham, never with anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I didn't realise how they would taste with the pork until I tried it.

I normally only have cucumber on it's own, or with some sliced ham, never with anything else.

Pulled pork goes well with coleslaw on a bap.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PTO

Stage 1 of this completed last night! Really looking forward to it tomorro! Quick question before I start cooking though. Some of the recipes I have seen online for pulled pork are telling me to cook on low in the slow cooker for 8-10 hours whereas this one says to cook on high for 8. Anyone have any idea why this it? Dont wanna mess this up!!

• Advertisement

It's 'cos that small slow cooker in the photos in the first few posts isn't very strong and needs to be on high. In larger, more powerful slow cookers, low does the job.

Advertisement