Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 48: Pulled Pork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PTO

Ah right! Thanks for the reply! What would you recommend for a 3.5l cooker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

PTO wrote: »
    Ah right! Thanks for the reply! What would you recommend for a 3.5l cooker?
    I have a 3.5L cooker and used the high setting on mine and it was cooking within eight hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

This was very tasty, I actually left it as the dry pulled pork without the sauce as it was just me eating it and I thought I could maybe do some other things with it as well and I did.

Pulled pork in batter mmm tasty. I'm a big fan of batter so it may not be to everyones likings but I liked it.

I cooked in over also and worked fine it was in for about 10 hours at what was reading as 80 on the knob I also had put two bricks in the oven the idea being the would help regulate the temperature a bit, not sure if they actually did but no harm in them being in there anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

My Le Creuset large casserole is for the bin thanks to my mother "helpfully" turning the oven up to 190C as she thought 80 was far too low for such a big piece of pork. Was at that temperature for about 5 hours while I slept upstairs, blissfully unaware.

One is not a happy camper.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

That's horrible :(
    And those casseroles ain't cheap either :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PTO

Mission success!! That was amazing! Will be doing that again. and again. and again!!!

Glad you liked it PTO :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I finally got around to making this! I really wasn't sure if I'd like it, because I thought it might be a bit too strongly flavoured for my relatively bland palette, but I loved it! I used pork shoulder, and it did need a good bit of cooking. My 3.5L Morphy Richards slow cooker has a 'medium' setting, so it spent about 3 hours on 'high' and maybe 6 hours on 'medium'. We used the Jack Daniels barbeque sauce, which was an interesting flavour that worked well. Thanks Sparks!!

Worth the wait? :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yep :D

• Advertisement

Cool :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Got a pork shoulder spiced and rolled up and ready to go tomorrow. Looking forward to it, going to do it on low overnight.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Glad I spotted this.

I've done a few cheap tesco pork loin joints in the slow cooker, and they've turned out pretty delicious, but I've been wondering about getting a bit more flavour into them and this looks perfect.

Pork in the cooker, damn that black strip mollases stuff is messy to mix its so thick.

It was a qualifed success learned a few lessons for next time.

I used two chillis which gave the undressed pork a slightly stronger flavour than I would have liked, I mixed the first batch with a shop bought BBQ sauce (HP BBQ Woodsmoke) and it tasted terrible, the second batch was served with fried onions and stokes ketchup (love this stuff) and it went down very well.

I will be doing this again, I love the feeling of shreading the tender pork apart

I used two chillis which gave the undressed pork a slightly stronger flavour than I would have liked
    Yeah, the one mild chilli gives a nice light hint of chilli at the back of the flavour, but when you add more, you'd best like the taste of chilli :D
    I mixed the first batch with a shop bought BBQ sauce (HP BBQ Woodsmoke) and it tasted terrible
    That's one of the sauces I've used; you really need to cut it with the cider vinegar though, neat from the bottle it's not really designed for saucing pulled pork (you need a thin sauce for that), it's made up to be used as a ketchup replacement with chips or something like that.
    , the second batch was served with fried onions and stokes ketchup (love this stuff) and it went down very well.
    If you love the sauce on its own, you're going to love it on the pulled pork :D Pretty good rule of thumb that one :)
    I will be doing this again, I love the feeling of shreading the tender pork apart
    The shredding is useful as a technique in itself - poach a few chicken breasts in chicken stock, let them cool, shred them like you would the pork, and then use them to make up enchiladas. Nyom...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I used two chillis which gave the undressed pork a slightly stronger flavour than I would have liked
    Sparks wrote: »
    Yeah, the one mild chilli gives a nice light hint of chilli at the back of the flavour, but when you add more, you'd best like the taste of chilli :D

I use a full, scored Scotch Bonnet every time I make this - I am completely, utterly addicted to chillis.

Btw, if you have any leftovers, the pork makes a really, really excellent hash with potatoes and eggs the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Hey Sparks. Many thanks for the recipe. Have just completed stage one and all looks good. Will report back anon. Love this style of cooking and have been rooting around a long time for a decent recipe to follow.

Does anyone know any Cajun pulled pork recipes as I think that's be the absolute business too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Castor Oil

After lurking for a long time I finally got it together and made this dish. Thought I'd sign up to talk about it. :)

I didn't like the smell of it slow-cooking all day, and was surprised by how horrible the cooking liquid was, after 8 hours of cooking.

HOWEVER! The pork itself was scrumptious. I made a bbq sauce from scratch to have with it, and took your advice and served it with soft rolls and coleslaw. Everyone was delighted with me. Thanks for an excellent recipe!

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

garbanzo wrote: »
    Hey Sparks. Many thanks for the recipe. Have just completed stage one and all looks good. Will report back anon. Love this style of cooking and have been rooting around a long time for a decent recipe to follow.

Does anyone know any Cajun pulled pork recipes as I think that's be the absolute business too.

Lovely. Really enjoyed it though the kids did find it a little too spicy. Have some in the fridge now for tomorrow's dinner...or maybe sandwiches for work. Thanks again Sparks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Been looking forward to making this for the past 2 years. Here goes: :)

Went to butchers last Thursday. Asked the butcher, a man of few words, for shoulder of pork with the bone in. For a slow roast. For pulled pork. The butcher said nothing but went into the back with a big smile on his face. Back he came with a quarter of a pig in his arms, with one leg still completely on it :eek:

And a huge hacksaw :eek:

This is what he handed over after a minute or two. Just under 2.5KG, just under €15

230017.jpg

Applied the rub - into the fridge for 24h...

Then yesterday into the slow cooker. On low. For 20 hours :D

In case anyone is wondering, I have a very large 6.5l slow cooker from Aldi, it was on special a few months ago for €22.99. On low the cooker consumes 142W, so total cost of electricity over 20 hours was about €0.50

Took it out and the meat just fell off the bone. Easy to pull

230018.jpg

After cooling down, back into the slow cooker with the BBQ sauce. Then I had 3 of these

230019.jpg

Delicious :D

We all had some and I brought some to the neighbours. I still have about half left, but it won't last long that's for sure!

Fecking awesome unkel :D I was wondering how you got it into the slow cooker for a moment there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

unkel wrote: »
    Been looking forward to making this for the past 2 years. Here goes: :)

Went to butchers last Thursday. Asked the butcher, a man of few words, for shoulder of pork with the bone in. For a slow roast. For pulled pork. The butcher said nothing but went into the back with a big smile on his face. Back he came with a quarter of a pig in his arms, with one leg still completely on it :eek:

And a huge hacksaw :eek:

This is what he handed over after a minute or two. Just under 2.5KG, just under €15

230017.jpg

Applied the rub - into the fridge for 24h...

Then yesterday into the slow cooker. On low. For 20 hours :D

In case anyone is wondering, I have a very large 6.5l slow cooker from Aldi, it was on special a few months ago for €22.99. On low the cooker consumes 142W, so total cost of electricity over 20 hours was about €0.50

Took it out and the meat just fell off the bone. Easy to pull

230018.jpg

After cooling down, back into the slow cooker with the BBQ sauce. Then I had 3 of these

230019.jpg

Delicious :D

We all had some and I brought some to the neighbours. I still have about half left, but it won't last long that's for sure!
    Epic!

This dish is a staple in our house. Best lunch ever!

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Can I ask a question, as the only pork I tend to cook is sausages really, so I'm unsure but... What's the fat content off that cut of pork? It looks fantastic and is something I'd love to cook!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I used a pork joint I bought in Aldi when I made mine-very little fat on it, and though it might technically have not been the right joint of meat, it was delicious!!!

ChewChew wrote: »
    Can I ask a question, as the only pork I tend to cook is sausages really, so I'm unsure but... What's the fat content off that cut of pork? It looks fantastic and is something I'd love to cook!

I'm not sure about the fat content. As in Sparks OP, I had to cut off a significant layer of fat from one side of my cut of pork even before I put the rub on. I could be wrong but the pulled pork meat didn't look or taste very fatty to me.

If you are worried about your diet / your food intake, maybe you should worry first about those sausages you cook. Do a bit of research of what goes into them. If you can stomach it, watch some youtube vids. Not nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

Hey all,

I did my version of pulled pork a few weeks back and am wondering what I can use the extra molasses for.

I'll do pulled pork again but just wondering what else can I do with it.

I did a quick boards.ie search and found loads of references to feeding it to livestock but ~I'd rather cook something instead ;-)

Regards,

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

shinikins wrote: »
    I used a pork joint I bought in Aldi when I made mine-very little fat on it, and though it might technically have not been the right joint of meat, it was delicious!!!

Thanks for that shin! I don't know why but I always thought that pork would leave a hefty amount of greasy residue at the bottom of the pot! Must try it so :)

ChewChew wrote: »
    Not sure of the actual percentage, but it'll be really rather low; definitely much, much lower than sausages. You start out with a cut that doesn't have much fat because it's a working muscle during the animal's life - it's got lots of connective tisse, and some fat around the outside, but not a lot of marbling; and you cut off most of the fat at the start (not all of it, because it helps the flavour to leave a little on); and you lost any that's left at the end (because it'd just be chewing a mouthful of fat otherwise. The meat itself will be quite lean at the end; the mouth feel and the taste come from gelatin, from the connective tissue breaking down during the braise, not from fat.

Now, the sauce on the other hand, that's a whole other jar of ingredients. Take a look at the bottle of sauce you're using for more details, but if I was worried about my sugar/salt intake or other dietary problems, that's the place I'd start to look with this recipe.

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    Now, the sauce on the other hand, that's a whole other jar of ingredients. Take a look at the bottle of sauce you're using for more details

There's zero fat in HP BBQ sauce :)

(Coleslaw is fatty though, the one I used (Tesco's) has 28% fat in it)

Like yourself, I would worry about sugar / salt before I'd worry about fat though...

Advertisement