Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 48: Pulled Pork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

hdowney wrote: »
    I think Pepsi would change the taste of it - different ingredients in Pepsi to Coke and I am pretty sure their sugar contents are different etc (could be wrong) - and that'd annoy me. But I am sure Sparks will tell you why.

I swear this is so going to be the first thing I make in the slow cooker. I am going into my butcher tomorrow to get my beef for New Years Day, I am going to ask him about the shoulder of pork :)
    I doubt using Pepsi would make any difference to the taste, there are so many spices in the recipe so that'd cover up any differences.

I always have it cold during the week for lunches and its just as nice. I also find that heating it too much or for too long reduces the vinegar kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I've spent the last hour reading through this thread and now there's no way I can't try this!
    Yup :D And after you make it, there's no way you can't make it again :D
    Few questions though.... are slow cookers versatile in what you can make?
    The original application was cooking beans, so this recipe alone shows how far they can stretch :D
    But right off the top of my head without opening the slow cooker recipe book on my shelf, I know they can do stews, soups, braises, sauces, lasagnes, and pretty much every long&slow cooking process I can think of bar pizza.
    Yeah, they're pretty versatile.
    Also, do you have to reheat the leftovers to use again? Like if I make it for dinner but there's loads left over and I want to take some for lunch the next day is it okay to eat it cold, or will it taste greasier?
    I've never tried it cold, but I just stick it in the microwave for a few seconds to reheat, it's not like it's like reheating a roast. BTW, if you have leftover pulled pork, what you actually have is an ingredient for kickass pizzas, really nice ramen, darn good stirfrys, and a few other dishes...
    Oh, and just on the line of BBQ vs Grill - I saw on The Fabulous Baker Brothers on Channel 4 where they were hot smoking some salmon and they got little bags of flavoured/scented wood chips off the internet and threw them onto the hot coals under the rack and covered it with a steel lid and it smoked away fine and it was the smoke that cooked the fish, not the coals. Seems like sort of in between a proper BBQ and the ones we actually have.

Yeah, it's a kludge to get from a direct flame grill to a proper smoker; but so long as the food and the fire are in the same box, you're always going to risk drying out the food or giving it too much heat.

Still though, if I ever find a source of liquid smoke in Ireland, I think I could get by without a several-hundred-euro smoker :D

Oh and one last thing, just out of interest, the OP is very specific about not using Pepsi. Is there a scientific reason for that, or is it just a personal taste thing? I know a lot of people have weirdly strong feelings about Pepsi v Coke.
    Different tastes to the two; Coke is more acidic to my tastebuds so I use that for cooking. But I prefer diet pepsi to drink, of all things (I've tried pretty much all the cola's out there and that's the one I'd prefer over all the others; but you put me near a pint of iced ginger ale and you can pour all of them down the sink really :D )

(btw, I did try it with pepsi once; and you can tell the difference. Also, don't use diet anything in this dish, it needs the sugar in the full-fat versions)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Sparks wrote: »
    Different tastes to the two; Coke is more acidic to my tastebuds so I use that for cooking. But I prefer diet pepsi to drink, of all things (I've tried pretty much all the cola's out there and that's the one I'd prefer over all the others; but you put me near a pint of iced ginger ale and you can pour all of them down the sink really :D )

(btw, I did try it with pepsi once; and you can tell the difference. Also, don't use diet anything in this dish, it needs the sugar in the full-fat versions)

Makes sense, there is a clear difference between the two to taste so it stands to reason they'd impart a different taste in a recipe. I prefer Pepsi myself (although I rarely drink fizzy drinks) but I'll stick with the Coke for this one.

Thanks Sparks, bet you didn't think you'd still be answering questions about his one two years later ;)

Thanks Sparks, bet you didn't think you'd still be answering questions about his one two years later ;)
    Nope, but I like it -- it's a real kick to know my recipe's been tried by so many and liked :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

Right, step one completed tonight! Can anyone tell me when I should lob the pork in the slow cooker on Friday if I'm aiming to have this ready for lunchtime Sat? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

20 hours on low is working well for me! (That's for a very large 2.5KG shoulder with the bone in)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭purple hands

unkel wrote: »
    20 hours on low is working well for me! (That's for a very large 2.5KG shoulder with the bone in)

Cool thanks.

Oh should mention, Tesco (Jervis anyways) have shoulders half price at the moment. Though there is a solid chubb/roll of stuffing in the middle, but this can be removed once the twine is off. The meat itself didn't seem to have picked up any aroma from it.

Will see how it tastes on Saturday anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

I just got myself a slow cooker from argos (the 3.5 litre one - its only 15.59 at the moment) so I'll be trying this for my second time soon. First time was in a cast iron casserole pot in the oven.

Hopefully the slow cooker will give me improved results.

Was also contemplating using Dr Pepper instead of coke in the cooking liquid.

I'll post back when I'm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

Pulled Pork the sequel was just as good as as my first effort. It was made a hell of a lot easier because of the slow cooker - highly recommend getting one if you want to do this more than once.

I used the shoulder of pork from Tesco - someone mentioned it earlier in this thread. It came with a role of stuffing in the middle but it was simple to remove.

Stuck with Coke for the cooking liquid so no changes in the recipe this time. I'll try it for the next one.

FYI - I cooked the pork on high for about 9 hours and the pork was amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

Bagged a free slow cooker in work today so this is defo first on my list to try. I also found an irish website that sells the liquid smoke

http://www.americanfood.ie/Stubb's_Liquid_Smoke_Hickory/104/ they also have a mesquite variation too!

sandy_c wrote: »
    I also found an irish website that sells the liquid smoke
    http://www.americanfood.ie/Stubb's_Liquid_Smoke_Hickory/104/ they also have a mesquite variation too!

<click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click><click>GIMME.
    Ahem.
    :D

Thanks for that link Sandy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

quazzy wrote: »
    I just got myself a slow cooker from argos (the 3.5 litre one - its only 15.59 at the moment) so I'll be trying this for my second time soon. First time was in a cast iron casserole pot in the oven.

Hopefully the slow cooker will give me improved results.

Was also contemplating using Dr Pepper instead of coke in the cooking liquid.

I'll post back when I'm done.

Sparks, you should ask for commission from Argos or something. The amount of boardsies that have gone off and bought slow cookers from there based on this thread.
    If you do another few appliance based threads - could pull us out of recession!

/thinks of recipe that requires a ferrari to cook properly...

MADE.
    OF.
    WIN.

This stuff tastes fantastic neat, can't wait to use it in the pulled pork recipe :)

238958.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Cop the calpol in the background!!! Don't be putting that on the pork now mate!!!

Hmmm. Calpol and pork... just reduce the molasses a bit to compensate for the sugar... and now you have a food to feed baby when he's teething?

Nawww :D

Wow you got both :)

I've my shoulder in the fridge with spices marinating for the match tomorrow. Going to make the mac and cheese from the other post to go with it.

How will you amend the original recipe to include the liquid smoke?

Will get some for the next time if you recommend!
    MADE.
    OF.
    WIN.

This stuff tastes fantastic neat, can't wait to use it in the pulled pork recipe :)

238958.jpg

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Going to make the mac and cheese from the other post to go with it.
    :eek: That's genius!!

MADE.
    OF.
    WIN.

You come on here and shove that big picture in our faces and you forgot to say where you got it? You bastud :D

(you can still redeem yourself but be quick, we want to try it too :D)

• Advertisement

Wow you got both :)
    No, they were all out of the hickory so I just got mesquite (but I prefer mesquite...)
    How will you amend the original recipe to include the liquid smoke?
    I think I'm just going to add a tablespoon to the braising liquid (or maybe two...) and leave it sit in the braising liquid for two or three hours before turning on the cooker to let it get a bit of a marinade (lest heating it up lose some of the flavour compounds from the smoke). Can't add it to the rub, obviously - the rub would clump up. You could pre-marinate before the rub, but that might get lost under the rub and other flavours. I'll try that if putting it in the braise doesn't work though.

I'll post back the results, naturally :)
    You come on here and shove that big picture in our faces and you forgot to say where you got it? You bastud :D
    (you can still redeem yourself but be quick, we want to try it too :D)

:D
    Dude, it's only four posts up from the photo :D

Not enough items available in stock
    :(

I'll try again in a few days :)

Oh dear god!!!! It was amazing!!!

Had it pre Ireland rugby game, with spiced mac and cheese from the other cooking club post.

I also roasted the skin that i took off at the beginning and made crackling and cut into pieces.

Served with various sides - stuffing, apple sauce, red onion relish, jalapeños relish, BBQ sauce.

Gah, my butcher wants 20squids for the shoulder (but the thing looks FAR too big for what I want or need. Not sure what to do there). Then looking in tesco for the leg and nothing doing :/

hdowney wrote: »
    Gah, my butcher wants 20squids for the shoulder

What weight? I pay about €6 per kg at the local butchers, which is not unreasonable. Both shoulders I got weighed about 2.5kg, so cost about €15

Sounds like a lot of money for a cheap cut of pork, but it is a big cut of pork :D

What weight? I pay about €6 per kg at the local butchers, which is not unreasonable. Both shoulders I got weighed about 2.5kg, so cost about €15

Sounds like a lot of money for a cheap cut of pork, but it is a big cut of pork :D

I actually haven't a clue (I wasn't there, I was sick, the mammy was talking to the butcher.) she said it was huge but her opinion of huge......

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pinky123

Howdy,
    Have a joint ready to go into the slow cooker, there will just be 3 eating it (can't wait till there is a gang around to try it :D) As there should be loads left over can it be frozen and at what stage in the process should I divide it up to freeze.

It can be frozen, but I've never needed to :D
    Generally I stick it in the fridge in tupperware and it's eaten within a week, because it goes on or in everything - sandwiches, pizza, pasta, with rice, hot, cold, whatever.

(but if you have to, freeze it before saucing and make up the sauce as you need it - if you just put it in the fridge, sauce it first)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I meant to say this before but I kept on forgetting. I noticed that the meat joint in the OP is €6.41 for 1.236kg. The last few times I've made this I've noticed that the same weight of meat from Tesco would cost almost twice that.

Interesting in light of today's reports about grocery bills increasing over the last couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pinky123

Thanks Sparks, that will prob be a better plan :D Thanks for posting the recipe

Advertisement