Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help finding lotion

Options
  • 30-11-2010 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

So I got my tattoo on Sunday and I've been using Bepanthen 2-3 times a day. I should stop using this around Thursday Friday?

I've been told to switch to unscented lotion like Lubriderm or Curel. How ever the lady in the store had not heard of these.

Can someone please recommend a unscented/fragrance free lotion that does not contain petroleum jelly, that I can buy in a pharmacy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

tattooed by americans/traveling artist were we?

I have never seen lubriderm in ireland. and have never heard of curel at all. Lubriderm is good, but good luck finding it. i could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mr_fruitbowl

^ was a friend from poland.

Any idea what lotion I should be using so(brand specific)?

it is a matter of opinion. you can keep using bepathen, assuming you have relatively not sensitive skin. if you do have sensitive skin, e45 is good, as is silcox base. I have used vaseline intensive care, easytattoo, norwegian formula handcream and unbranded dutch hand cream with no real problems.

Ideally, you should pick something you have used before, but frequently young men have f*ck all experience with moisturizers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

+1 on the E45 Lotion

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

+1 on continuing to just use bepanthen too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

+1 on it puts the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again!!

No likes to say this, but everyone's skin is different. while a shop HAS to give aftercare instructions - because many customers have only a few small tattoos or none at all - the reality is that only years of trial and error will reveal the ideal aftercare for your skin.

i've tried every method going and in the end i found I heal better if I tkae the cling film off after 3 hours, absolutely sear the tattoo in the shower, and then don't put e.45 on it for at least two days. I scab up pretty bad, but I don't get any loss. I suspect this would be disaster for some people.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

i've tried every method going and in the end i found I heal better if I tkae the cling film off after 3 hours, absolutely sear the tattoo in the shower, and then don't put e.45 on it for at least two days. I scab up pretty bad, but I don't get any loss. I suspect this would be disaster for some people.

Thats the way I do it except to minimise scabbing I use johnsons baby lotion.

Never had much luck with bepanthen--always lost loads of ink with it and ended up needing more than the usual touch ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mr_fruitbowl

It's not yet scabbed after 3 days....so I'll take that as a good sign.

But I feel the tattoo has lost some ink. Again it's my first tattoo so i'm not sure how it's meant to look or what the process is.

From my own research i've heard that bepanthen should not be used after 4-5 days max and that a unscented lotion should be used.

So any unscented e45 cream will do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I have a large backpiece. When I got mine done, I used bepantham for thet first few days until it started to peel quite much. Then the bepantham was too thick to apply. I used Aveeno mosituriser. You can get the original one which is unscented, and it has oat extract in it which helps calm the itch.

I used to get terribly dry skin when I lived in the states and found I would blister when I used the vaseline mostiurisers, but Aveeno always agreed with my skin so that's why I decided to use it on my tattoo. However, everyone is different!

• Advertisement
Advertisement