Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda clearance waiting times?

Options
  • 30-11-2010 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Has anyone got Garda clearance lately? Just looking for some idea of waiting times. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭the west wing

I've been waiting just over 7 weeks and I still haven't heard anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭fattymuatty

Thanks, looks like I shouldn't expect it this side of christmas so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Carolyyn

I had to get garda clearance a few months back, and as far as I remember it was at least 6 weeks before I heard from them. It's the employer who makes the application for clearance by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I had to do it for some work a couple of months ago. Employer applied. No idea if it cleared, but they didn't fire me during the job :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Mine came through two weeks ago.
    I applied in February.

So you could be looking at a nine month wait :(.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I needed my 'urgently'; My work revolves around work directly with children so obviously needed one fast..still took 16 weeks with my employer and I cracking up. Only came through in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Uh oh, my company just did one on me for doing work with confidential materials for a customer...wonder how the customer will feel if it takes 9 months! (They aren't Irish based)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I needed my 'urgently'; My work revolves around work directly with children so obviously needed one fast..still took 16 weeks with my employer and I cracking up. Only came through in October.

Does that mean that you didn't work at all during those 16 weeks? Or did they let you start on the understanding that it was coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

JustMary wrote: »
    Does that mean that you didn't work at all during those 16 weeks? Or did they let you start on the understanding that it was coming?

In my case (but it wasn't working with children) it was weekly p/t work, but I continued to do it as usual

JustMary wrote: »

Fortunatly for me the job didn't actually start for a while after the interview, and I did have to do 'non-direct work' for some time, until my employer contacted my old employer to get a letter saying I had been working under a clean and checked clearance up to now. It was a messy situation and everyone was impatient, and work was piling up.

I was in the same pickle here in London; except it is taking about 20weeks ad technically I am not meant to work directly, but have been able to transfer my check from another job over (called portage; not always allowed in some irish and uk companies)

It is a shambles

• Advertisement

Oh my god I would never have thought it would take so long :eek: My applications been in a couple of weeks I was thinking another month tops, looks like I was way out! Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭whatsyourquota

I applied for one two years ago and never heard back! Didnt need it in the end so didnt follow it up but pretty ridiculous all the same

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I applied for one two years ago and never heard back! Didnt need it in the end so didnt follow it up but pretty ridiculous all the same

Did you send off the forms yourself or did your employer send them on your behalf as is the case in most instances ?

If its the latter then, the results of the Garda clearance would have been sent back to your employer. In many cases the employer doesn't inform the employee when this happens.

After all, there is no need if you have a clear record. The Gardaí are simply sending back a letter of acknowledgement attached to a blank sheet of paper.

A true manifestation of the old saying - "No news is good news !"

Fek.. I need one really soon and I'm not even in the country. Anyone know how I can go about getting it?

Fek.. I need one really soon and I'm not even in the country. Anyone know how I can go about getting it?

Do what I did..contact an agency (TTM was the one I used) and ask them to apply for you. You will need to send them all your documents that have been verified by a solicitor or the police. I know sometimes they can be sticky if you don't actually live in the country at the time of applying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 ozalseker

Well guys I am from Turkey. This garda clearance in Ireland it s such a stupid long time taking.What do they search for.We should be in their all system.I mean Where are we from,what s our address,did we involved any criminal act.. etc.

In Turkey we just go to court house it takes only 20 minutes and cost you €3 only..We i give my I.D number to officer they check from computer system and there you go. #the they doing in Ireland is crazy.I am still waiting since Feb/10

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ozalseker wrote: »
    Well guys I am from Turkey. This garda clearance in Ireland it s such a stupid long time taking.What do they search for.We should be in their all system.I mean Where are we from,what s our address,did we involved any criminal act.. etc.

In Turkey we just go to court house it takes only 20 minutes and cost you €3 only..We i give my I.D number to officer they check from computer system and there you go. #the they doing in Ireland is crazy.I am still waiting since Feb/10

Welcome to Ireland, home of efficient systems, NOT.

In fairness, the garda do, I believe, request international checks as well, which a 20 minute search at the local courthouse couldn't manage.

What really gets my wick is the people who use garda clearance as an excuse not to accept foreigners. Some of the organizations here use lines like
    "individuals who lived outside the Island of Ireland for 2 or more continuous years within the last 5 years are not eligible for programmes that provide access to children and/or vulnerable adults"

Seems to me that if someone was only outside Ireland for 18 months they are equally likely to have done Something Dreadful and been deported for it - but this is fine so long as they weren't away for more than 2 years! IMHO what they're really saying is " we don't want to have do deal with anyone who's got any funny foreign ideas".

Also, you cannot get it for yourself. An employer or organisation needs to get it for you. And even if you have it from one job or agency, then technically the next employer or agency is supposed to do it again. This is partly why there's such a backlog: the same people are getting done over and over again as they change jobs.

What all this means is that if you're a nurse, teacher, social worker etc coming to Ireland, you effectively can't work or volunteer using your skills for at best a few months, but possibly up to three years, after coming here.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

The length of time it takes for garda clearance to come back has become a huge bugbear for the voluntary organisation I work with because it means that our volunteers are limited in what they can do until it comes back. It can take between 5-9 months for clearance to come back and if there is a large event happening, e.g. Special Olympics events where extra helpers would be needed on a large scale basis, this will take precedence over regular ones sent in. Also, if you apply for work and get your clearance, and then you become a volunteer with perhaps the local GAA club and send off your clearance for that, they will check you from the start all over again. It's not a one time clearance suits all kind of thing. So it's time consuming. Also, the department that deals with it has the same amount of manpower as it had when it started, before garda clearance became mandatory for so many organisations. As is my understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

i was waiting 5 days

When was that Galway K9?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

to start work last month (thread exists) and was really paranoid that something was wrong that it took more than 3 days... coudlnt start work without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Highcontrast1

anyone know if the waiting times are still the same? 9 months is a bit ridiculous
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Highcontrast1, what is it for? If it's for anything to do with joining the force then use a forum in here instead.
    Is it for something in Galway?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Any job requiring contact with kids ( elderly in some cases ) and particularly where you may be a sole adult, eg primary school teaching.

I heard it is still at least 6 months to get clearance as that is the Garda processing time from request. No clearance, no job!

dublin job ...working at the courts. i sent in my forms almost 2 months ago! just have to wait for that clearance i guess :/

sorry ...just realized this is for Galway, my bad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Accepted a job in an organization a couple months ago. Original start date was Sept 1st. I was told my vetting wouldnt be back in time, and should be back by October. Its a 9 month contract, and I moved to Galway for it.

I was then asked to work as a volunteer until my clearance came through, unpaid, and then be paid in lieu of the time I worked as a volunteer. I really hope its not 9 months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

dublin job ...working at the courts. i sent in my forms almost 2 months ago

Not the normal clearance, you require a security clearance.Not too bad unless you spent time abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ok thread is old and revived by mistake.
    We'll stop here and if anyone has questions about Garda clearance times in Galway another can be started, either here or in Edu section.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement