Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Tap & Die Set

• 01-12-2010 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone buy this lads... I'm conscious of the fact that I normally go in to Lidl ostensibly for milk and bread, and end up coming out with an inflatable house and a pair of clown shoes.... so I dont want to make that mistake again.

Tap And Die Set
    (cant find it on the Irish Lidl site)

10_52004_b.jpg

So has anybody bought one, are they any good, am I wasting my money?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Lmfao legend of a post, sorry for not being of any help but I know exactly what your on about.

Go to Lidl to save €20-€30 on your weekly shop and spend the same and more on the specials.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Ive got a set from there before great kit if you need it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 the mucker

bryaner wrote: »
    Lmfao legend of a post, sorry for not being of any help but I know exactly what your on about.

Go to Lidl to save €20-€30 on your weekly shop and spend the same and more on the specials.. :(

Ditto Aldi and Lidl tools are responsible for my own personal fiscal crisis. I haven't seen the lidl tap and die set but bought a similar one in aldi (didint look as good as this one) but it got me out of several fixes. For the money you couldn't go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

Useful cheap bit of kit but they are cheap, problem I found was they are very brittle and are easily snapped. The taps snap and the teeth break off the dies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

The taps snap and the teeth break off the dies.

That's what I was worried about.. I was tapping a piece of square tubing today with an M4 Draper tap, I pushed it too hard and it snapped.. and I cant imagine the Lidl ones will be STRONGER than the Draper one :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

That's what I was worried about.. I was tapping a piece of square tubing today with an M4 Draper tap, I pushed it too hard and it snapped.. and I cant imagine the Lidl ones will be STRONGER than the Draper one :confused:

Probably not, but for the cost of them, it'd nearly be worth it to get you out of a few fixes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Draper aint great tools either tbh..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

In fairness the quality of most draper tool is pretty poor. I served my time as a toolmaker and the tool steal they use is of very poor quality in all there tool's. As with most tools you get what you pay for, aside from that I would buy them as they can come in very handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

okay, I drove through the snow to buy it... and having tapped my first two holes this evening... *ahem* ... it seems to be good enough.. has a much bigger bar for holding the tap with a larger span, enabling you to get a bit more torque on it. As with all taps you just need to take you're time and not force it... have never done a die and have no requirement to do one so I cant comment on the "other half" of the set.. comes in a nice steel box as well which is convenient... For 9 euros you certainly cant go wrong..

oh and thumbs up for the rubber hammer and motorbike ashtray that I bought in lidl today as well.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 the mucker

I got a combined 1/4 3/8 socket set in Aldi a few years ago. it had a very good 1/4 bit driver l. Saw exactly the same bit driver for sale in a draper catalogue:o. I think draper dont manufacture all their tools but source and rebrand them. The expert range appear better than the cheaper stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement